Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Nikwax Visor Proof Rain Repellent

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  pgrrider 
#1 ·
If you want a product that will cause the water to bead up and run off of plastic, this is it. I put it on my visor and on my windscreens. I ran water over the windscreen this morning and the water beaded up and ran off.

The product is made in England. The company is "NIKWAX" and the spray is titled VISOR PROOF (rain repellent) which comes in a small spray bottle for about $11-12.00. I ordered mine from the local dealer.

Nikwax products for wet weather:

http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/activity/in ... =EQUIPMENT

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I just bought it from Amazon for <$8, picked up a couple CDs and got the free shipping :thumbup: gonna try it on my visor and the windscreen

#5 ·
What does this offer over, say, plain Carnuba wax?

#6 ·
We ride a lot in soggy weather here, even in WA State's Sunbelt where I live.

I use carnauba wax on all the Tupperware on my 650, to protect the graphics and it does a super job there, but I also use Visor Proof on the windshield. The carnauba didn't last as long and wasn't as effective as the Visor Proof there and on my helmet shield. When the water hits the Visor Proof'ed windshield/shield, it doesn't even have time to bead up into big drops.

#7 ·
I don't know anything about "Visor-proof" but I do know that anything you apply to your windscreen or helmet visor should be applied first to a small section, out of your line of sight, to check what, if any, chemical reaction will occur.

RainEx, for example, will cause cracks and yellowing.

#8 ·
Rain X is not made for the plastic and will ruin it in no time. The Visor Proof is made for the visor and will work the same on the windscreen.

The water comes off fast and will amaze you. It is not cheap but if it works it is money well spent.

I would think the Visor Proof being from England that more UK members would have told us about it sooner. :shock:

#9 ·
Acrylic windshields can take a lot that other plastic and Plexiglas things wont...except for grit that scratches. Plex and acrylic are not one and the same. Where Plex can cloud from products containing alcohol, acrylic can withstand it. I asked about this from ClearView and they said that things like Windex, original Rain-X, etc are fine. It would be good to find out just what a particular 'plastic' your visor is made from, as that will dictate what products you can, or should use and ones that you should not use.

http://www.rainx.com/Products/Plastic_H ... Clean.aspx

The idea is to get the RIGHT product for the job: Rain-X SEA (marine product) works very well for this purpose. Unfortunately I can't walk int and buy it at Wal mart in SE Arizona.... :lol:

#10 ·
FWIW, on my Nolan N102 visor, I used RainX on it all the time...well, except for our one day of summer.

I don't know how many applications that came out to be, but I would say about 100 applications over 3 years and didn't have any problems.

Chris

#11 ·
Visors on helmets are made of polycarbonate, for safety reasons - and not simple plastic. For use in applications exposed to weathering or UV-radiation, a special surface treatment is needed. This either can be a coating (e.g. for improved abrasion resistance), or a coextrusion for enhanced weathering resistance. Sodium hypochlorite bleach and other alkali cleaners catalyze the release of the bisphenol A from polycarbonate containers. A chemical compatibility chart shows that polycarbonate is incompatible with many typical cleaning agent, e.g. ammonia, acetone. Alcohol is one recommended organic solvent for cleaning grease and oils from polycarbonate.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5097889_care- ... isors.html

I have used Rain-X on my helmet visor(s) with no probem at all.

:cheers: Most helmet visors are USA MADE! http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... isors/mxl/

#12 ·
What does this offer over, say, plain Carnuba wax?
I have can of Turtle Wax is in my garage. Works good on plastic. Used it on my boats. Use it now and again on my car.

Never used this item but it is said to work on all plastic as a cleaner.
Turtle Wax 'Soft Top Window Cleaner'

#13 ·
bigfoot said:
I don't know anything about "Visor-proof" but I do know that anything you apply to your windscreen or helmet visor should be applied first to a small section, out of your line of sight, to check what, if any, chemical reaction will occur.

RainEx, for example, will cause cracks and yellowing.

We are talking about a product specifically made for PLASTICS..both acrylic as well as polycarbonate....NOT Rain-X

If you doubt any of the claims for this product, just go to their website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.