Replacement Tires -- Best Prices, Best Vendors - Page 13 - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #121 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Insane Poster

Send a message via AIM to QuantumRift Send a message via Yahoo to QuantumRift
Re: Replacement Tires -- Best Prices, Best Vendors

I've had my Pirelli Diablo's now, oh, I supposed it's been 3+ weeks. All I can say is "Wow!". Even with new Bridgestones, I never felt the bike being this 'nimble' before. It really feels like the Diablo's have less rolling resistance...they certainly make much LESS road noise, and when I lean the bike, there is no noticeable 'groan' that emanates from the tires...it seems very planted...I have to negotiate a medium-sized traffic circle at least twice a day, and if there are no cars in sight, I take this thing a bit faster than the recommended 15 mph. More like 25+ and more like in a very secure, planted lean that really seems to feel that the tires are stuck to the pavement. I may even get brave enough to try and "scrape the stand"..LoL... In the mornings when I head to work, I've noticed that when the tires are cold, and at my feeder traffic light, when it goes green and I make the leaning left on the Pirelli tires, it does not feel as squirrelly as the tires warm up. The Battlax tires always felt that way when cold for me. The Diablos take bumps better and don't complain with clop-clop-kerchunk clopping noise like most radials do on uneven pavement. The main drag in town is being resurfaced and most of it is in the 'grooved and scraped' state and even on that, the bike feels very stable, where before it tended to feel like it wanted to wanted to wander over the scraped pavement. I've only been on one thunderstorm (a downpour with several inches of water on the road) and the tires performed very well...I have no complaints at all with them. If they last 10K miles, WOOT WOOT. HECK even if they last 8K or less, I may just spring for a (manual) motorcycle tire changer and do 'em my self....I want to try the Shinko tires as well, but at least right now, I don't see a need to go back to the Battlax tires at all.

"When he drives a new car off the lot, it increases in value."

"If Opportunity knocks, and he's not at home, Opportunity waits."

KRISS Headlight Modulator
Kisan TailBlazer Brake Light Flasher 20W-D - Plug-In
Manic Salamander Bar End Weights (with throttle lock)
Grip Puppies
3Brothers Backrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 129 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 08:28 PM

I can only talk about Bridgestone and Metzler tires for my 2005 Burgman 650. A couple of years ago I had some new Metzlers mounted for a long trip I was going to take. At first they would lean into a corner quicker, which is all well and good, but that's not why I bought them, I bought them for mileage. I always have my camping gear strapped down to my rear seat and it's heavy enough to make the ride a lot more comfortable, which also probably wears the rear tire slightly more. 8,500 miles later I made it back home without incidence, but noticed something when they started to wear. While going around corners it got more difficult to lean it over, plus I had to use more muscle to keep it leaned over. When I got back I took a good look at the wear of the rear tire. It seemed to wear as much as the OEM Bridgestone, depth-wise according to the wear bars and around the middle, but the width of the flat spot was more narrow, making it look as if it got better mileage.

I never did check to see if the speedometer error was the same, but if it was improved that should mean the overall circumference of the tire was more than the stock tire and would make it slightly taller. Since you can't change the width of the wheel, having a tire slightly taller should certainly allow the fall to the side quicker, since the angle of the tire's profile would be different. That would also explain why my worn tire had a narrower, but just as worn, flat spot with the Metzlers.

The heaviness in the corners may have been the cupping from the front tires, the wear pattern from the rear tires, or a combination of the two. I know I did not like how they felt when they were worn, they just felt unsafe. Also, I have 34 years and over 420,000 miles of motorcycling experience and never have I waited until I see cords before I change my tires. They're just too far gone by that stage. I have had flats before from picking up screws and junk I didn't see, it is no fun. The wear bars are more like warning bars to me. The thinner a tire gets, the easier it is to get a flat.

As far as the vendor goes, I recently had my dealer get my Bridgestone tires and change them, it came to about $305 all together. That's after several minutes of sweet talking him down. I usually shop around at different sites online when I'm ready to purchase tires, since I never know when they change the prices around. I'm not tied to any particular site. I used to change my own tires on my 78' Wings and may go back to that struggle with my Burgman. After all, if I can change a Goodyear Run Flat motorcycle tire by hand, and without a tire changing device, I should be able to change the Burgy tires by hand.

I was once asked if I was scared riding all over the country by myself, "NEVER!" I replied, but there was this one time in Mexico....
post #123 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Super Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to TheBlackMoon

AMA members... Don't forget,
Right now, you can get your Bridgestone (OEM) rear tire from BikeBandit.com for $97.79 and your front for $75.31 (10% discount) + Shipping. Of course, others are available. Your discount applies to all Bike Bandit purchases.

http://www.bikebandit.com/bridgestone-b ... moped-tire

Not an AMA member? It costs $39/yr (price increase of $4 this yr), provides 35 miles of FREE towing per incident on ANY vehicle you own, as well as bike-specific towing service, and complete Roadside Assistance (including car lockout service, emergency gas, and locksmith search services among others). Check out the benefits...

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/benefits

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Mem ... treet.aspx

post #124 of 129 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:52 PM

i am replacing my oem bridgestones with Shinkos this week. I have 8200 miles on m '07 and am planning a trip to Ohio from Florida shortly. I will let you all know how they perform! Oh, around $80 for installation and $97.00 for tires from Motorcycle Superstore.
post #125 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Insane Poster

Send a message via AIM to QuantumRift Send a message via Yahoo to QuantumRift

My Pirelli Diablos are going absolutely GREAT after 4,000+ miles. NO COMPLAINTS.

"When he drives a new car off the lot, it increases in value."

"If Opportunity knocks, and he's not at home, Opportunity waits."

KRISS Headlight Modulator
Kisan TailBlazer Brake Light Flasher 20W-D - Plug-In
Manic Salamander Bar End Weights (with throttle lock)
Grip Puppies
3Brothers Backrest
post #126 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd1390
i am replacing my oem bridgestones with Shinkos this week. I have 8200 miles on m '07 and am planning a trip to Ohio from Florida shortly. I will let you all know how they perform! Oh, around $80 for installation and $97.00 for tires from Motorcycle Superstore.
How are they doing? I have 2 sitting in my garage.

2009 Burgman 650
Garmin NUVI GPS
Burlwood Dash
BreakAway Cruise Control
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/Throttle Bosses
Clearview Windshield w/5 position adjustable vent.
TrailBlazer Deceleration Warning Lights
Givi E410 Top Case w/backrest, LED Running and Brake Lights
Utopia Driver's Backrest w/detachable pouch

2009 V-Star 650
post #127 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:58 AM

Just got a bridgestone TH01 rear for my 650. $113.88 delivered to my door in Arizona from Chaparral Motorsports.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing!
post #128 of 129 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 07:08 PM

Im in need of tires for my 2012 SB 650. Is there an update to this thread?
post #129 of 129 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 10:24 PM
Super Poster

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tube...s/t11?m=147466

The One Thing
Psalm 27:4

Silver 2011 AN400

Dr. Pulley 18g sliders, Givi Tall windshield, Givi V47 Topcase, Givi T502 Inner Bag, Givi E22N Side Cases, Givi EA105 Tunnel Bag, Save-a-Deer whistle, Ram Reservior Mounts, Airhawk2 , NGK CR7EIX Iridium spark plug, DynaBeads tire balancing beads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.