Suzuki Body Deflector - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Suzuki Body Deflector

After reading all the positive comments about the Givi windscreen, I have decided to get one. But, I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Suzuki Body Deflector. Is it helpful in keeping the legs warm and dry in adverse weather? Does it affect the gas mileage or handling? We are planning a 9 day trip next June that will take us over mountain passes and down into the dessert. So we could run into a variety of conditions and I would like to be prepared. I am also investigating luggage for the trip. Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
White Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to TechArtGuy Send a message via AIM to TechArtGuy Send a message via MSN to TechArtGuy Send a message via Yahoo to TechArtGuy
Default Re: Suzuki Body Deflector

I have had these installed for a long while. Have ridden with them through two winters already, about to be a third. They certainly help to keep your legs warm or dry in rainy weather. I have seen no serious reduction in fuel economy or handling on windy days from their installation.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Bike Type: 400s/06, 650/04, 650/07, 650exec/08

+1, to stiffen it up, i used some car trim. just use the link below.....
Various Style Backrests
Leg Wind Deflectors
LED Turn Signals, Switch Cluster lighting Add-on
VSTROM Hand Guards c/w Duplio Trunk bed Liner painted Brake Lever
Hump, First Gear Saddle Bags
High Visibility Yellow Olympic Jacket, MSR Fuel Cell
ybbor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Poster

ybbor,
Yours look great. I've always liked all the farkles you've added on your bike. These deflectors look a lot better than the ones for a Helix. Just a few questions though: In a tip over, the ones on my Helix cracked. How strong are the Burgman ones? I've only known the 650 and newer 400 models to have these (having personally seen drjbg's '08 400 on a recent trip to Kansas City). Are they available for the older 400? And finally, do they interfere with you being able to quickly put your feet on the ground---as in having to bend your lower legs back toward you to clear the deflectors then putting your feet down?
BurgyBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwnScooterBill
ybbor,
How strong are the Burgman ones? I've only known the 650 and newer 400 models to have these (having personally seen drjbg's '08 400 on a recent trip to Kansas City). Are they available for the older 400? And finally, do they interfere with you being able to quickly put your feet on the ground---as in having to bend your lower legs back toward you to clear the deflectors then putting your feet down?
They aren't very strong and will probably break if you go down and hit them. Yes they do interfere with putting your feet down in a hurry. You learn to lift your feet over them or bend your legs back to clear the deflectors. They are well worth it since they do help keep your legs dry and warmer.
12Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwnScooterBill
. Just a few questions though: How strong are the Burgman ones? Are they available for the older 400? And finally, do they interfere with you being able to quickly put your feet on the ground---as in having to bend your lower legs back toward you to clear the deflectors then putting your feet down?
1. Laid my 650 over on a slow speed uturn and did no damage but even though they are quite tough it is doubtful they would survive a violent lay over.
2. Not sure but if they are I will be putting them on my 06 400S
3. On the An650 you must do as you describe to put your foot down but it is no big deal. After a couple of days it becomes automatic due to muscle memory. On the 400 the deflectors stop short of your feet and present no problems

07/650 standard Phantom Grey named Jumbo after the Elephant
Wind deflectors, back rest own design on butt rest, headlight and taillight modulators
mueller brackets and Givi e21 paniers

06/400S Black named Ebony
Bearcat back rest
papaburger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rah

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought of some sort of cow catcher device to prevent damage to the bike by people stepping out in from of the scooter.
Rah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Location: southern michigan in summer, Rio Grand Valley Texas in winter

Those deflectors look good, so where can I get a set for my 09 650 executive? How much are they?Thanks.

Rich
rgamore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Poster

Unfortunately the deflectors for the 650 aren't available here in the states. Some of us went in on a group buy and IIRC the deflectors came from Germany.
12Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have been looking at them on the Suzuki site for Burgman 400 accessories,
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20L ... tView=true
They seam a bit pricey at $139.95 but it sounds as if they may be worth it. Santa brought me a heated vest so I may be riding as soon as the temperatures get above 0 long enough to clear the snow and ice off the roads.
White Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.