Helmet to Helmet Comm Systems - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Helmet to Helmet Comm Systems

My wife and I like to ride 2-up and take trips together. Currently we're using an Autocom System which I bought awhile back. The wires have become just enough of a PITA to where I'm looking into a wireless system. There's a couple in our group that use a Chatterbox and seem happy with it, but that's a lot of dough to plunk down before researching.

Soooo... who out ther has a rider/passanger comm system they use and are happy or unhappy with it? Mostly I'm interested in communication more than anything else and am not particularly interested in a lot of foo-foo accessories (especially cell-phone... don't need that when riding). Also, opinions on PTT vs VOX would be appreciated.

Mark...Rollingbones
2007 AN 650A Executive (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900LT Classic (Eljay)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------------------
I didn't lose my mind...I sold it on eBay!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Turbo Poster

Re: Helmet to Helmet Comm Systems

We started with a wired, batteried, PTT and thought it was great for the 1st few months. It took longer to get it rigged up than for us to gear up. Then a couple months ago we got a Scala Q2 system. No batteries, wires or PTTs. Simply put, now this is technology. The clarity is phenomonal. The quality is astounding. We've ridden in very high winds and it was talking as if we were sitiing at our kitchen table. Now, we have used it bike to bike, but I figure since it can sail thru the test of high wind the bike to passenger will be equally as good. Super easy to assemble and super easy to use. Plug in the battery pack to charge, connect to helmet to use and the boom is sturdy. We love it. The fact that it is bluetooth compatible ( cell phone, GPS ) with six preprogrammed FM stations were with voice over ride perks for my wife.
That's my two cents

That's my two cents.

k8 B400- chrome rails,Givi windscreen, blaster horn,driving lights, grip puppies, mirror extensions
k6 B650- Utopia backrest, givi windscreen, grip puppies,chrome rails,wrist rest, driving lights, blaster horn, bar weights

Nothing is as powerful as the moment a person learns something on his own.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Insane Poster

blueberry is spot on. We bought our Scala Rider Q2 bike-to-bike system 4-6 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Outstanding clarity and totally hands-free. The fact that the volume increases/decreases automatically with speed/back ground noise is simply awesome. Haven't even tried it with the cell phone yet and may not. Riding both scoots together is a whole new experience with the Scala Rider Q2. Got ours on eBay for $240.

'06 Burgman 400, '06 Burgman 650 - The GRINerators.....and a '06 Hi-Vis Yellow DR650SE

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Thanks for the input. It seems a much netter alternative. Good thing I deal on eBay!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2007 AN 650A Executive (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900LT Classic (Eljay)

------------------------------------
I didn't lose my mind...I sold it on eBay!!!

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Super Poster

My wife and I have the BlueAnt system (wireless/bluetooth) and I must say that it works flawlessly. We just went on a couple hundred mile ride this weekend with me on my 650 and the wife on the 400, riding at high speeds (75+mph) - communicated perfectly between the bikes. When I ride alone, I have my cell phone linked into the BlueAnt and people don't even know I'm riding a motorcycle when I talk with them. For what it's worth, they have been really good to us!
Regards,
Howard

AN650K7 "Low-UFO", RAM Cup holder & GPS Mnt, Oznium mirror LED TS
AN400K7 "Suzi-Q", 3Bros Backrest, pillion b-rest (Suzuki), RAM Cup holder & GPS Mnt, Garmin II+ GPS, Suzuki Cover
APCO, Swing, and Ozone Paragliders: Wood Valley, Edel, Sup Air, and OZone Speed Harnesses
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383
blueberry is spot on. We bought our Scala Rider Q2 bike-to-bike system 4-6 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Outstanding clarity and totally hands-free. The fact that the volume increases/decreases automatically with speed/back ground noise is simply awesome. Haven't even tried it with the cell phone yet and may not. Riding both scoots together is a whole new experience with the Scala Rider Q2. Got ours on eBay for $240.
+2

My wife and I love our ScalaRider system.

Capt John
If you'd like to support my favorite Charity,
go to:

'08 Suzuki Burgman Exec Blk (His)
'07 Piaggio MP3 Blk (Sold)
'03 Aprilia Atlantic 500 Red (Sold)
'07 Piaggio MP3 Red (Sold)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Could not agree more w/ the folks who use the Scala Q2 system. We bought ours about 6 weeks ago, and it works like a charm. Use it riding 2 up and my wife says it makes it more fun to be able to talk back and forth as we ride. Just wish it did not go to standby after 25 seconds of silence!!! But not to worry - it comes right back on when you begin talking. Excellent clarity.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingbones
My wife and I like to ride 2-up and take trips together. Currently we're using an Autocom System which I bought awhile back. The wires have become just enough of a PITA to where I'm looking into a wireless system. There's a couple in our group that use a Chatterbox and seem happy with it, but that's a lot of dough to plunk down before researching.

Soooo... who out ther has a rider/passanger comm system they use and are happy or unhappy with it? Mostly I'm interested in communication more than anything else and am not particularly interested in a lot of foo-foo accessories (especially cell-phone... don't need that when riding). Also, opinions on PTT vs VOX would be appreciated.

If you are just looking for rider to passenger, I would recommend the Scala Teamset, which is considerable less expensive than the Scala Q2. We have the Teamset and really enjoy being able to talk to each other on rides. We did have an issue with the units not working in VOX mode when we first purchased the system but Cardo Systems was quick to provide us with replacement set in time for a planned weekend ride. Excellent tech support and customer service.

- Todd
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Super Poster

Gotta add another shout for the Scala Q2 Multiset. My wife seems to want to ride more now that she can actually converse. System works fantastic. Linked mine to my GPS for turn by turn instructions. GPS is linked with my cell phone hence I can answer and converse if I get a call and since it was linked with the second system, am still able to converse with the rider on back. I could even link hers to her own cell if she wanted. Even at highway speeds there is very little background noice when speaking on the phone or with my passenger. In case you're interested, I did a bit of research and found this site to have the best price: http://www.jcmotors.com/p-13470-cardo-s ... cator.aspx Company located in California and I'm in Pennsylvania. Placed the order on a Monday...shipped the next day and arrived Thursday. Great and easy to understand instructions also. (Have to add also that I had a bit of trouble with their website so ended up calling to place the order. Because of my "inconvienence" they even waived the shipping. Good people to work with)

'99 Honda Elite 80 2003-2004
'04 400 Burgman 2004-2007
'07 650 Burgman 2007-
Smoke & Vented Clearview
Ram-mounted Garmin Zumo 550
LED Turn Signal reminders
Grip Puppies
Bearcat Back Rest
USCG Vet
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Insane Poster

See my comments on a previous thread on the same subject:
viewtopic.php?p=349796#p349796

Kory's

Why Burgman? Because the world doesn't need yet another software engineer
playing make-believe outlaw, riding a Harley in a pirate costume. -larrysb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.