The Fehling Side Case Mount Adventure - Success, but ... - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSurfer
Default The Fehling Side Case Mount Adventure - Success, but ...

My adventure: I bought my Fehling FHG.7847KH and FHG.2828ZHV mounting kit for my Burgman 650 Executive at the end of March, which took about a month to get to Maryland. I was immediately chilled by no instructions, with the only paperwork being parts list and “Montage Hindweis” (Installation notes). In German. So I consternated and procrastinated and complained a little.

Finally, After having had the side case mounts and the mounting hardware locked in the trunk of one of my cars; and a nice set of Givi e21s sitting decoratively in my kitchen for over a week; and given an e-mail from Nick at Twisted Throttle telling me that they’d had no luck sourcing any instructions in English, I had a choice: I could return everything in defeat, or channel my frustration into industriousness. I chose the latter. So, with the only “instructions” being a photograph of the left side case mount, I broke everything out and swore this problem would not daunt me. The result: The side case mounts are installed on my AN 650 Executive beautifully … with not one stray screw or washer. Actually, I could write a set of instructions for the install now myself, if circumstances made it worth my time; but I am now a member of the Fehling Cult and will allow people to just e-mail me and ask for help; but for a kiss on my ring ... I mean, I didn't even get that courtesy.

One literally has to feel one’s way through the installation, helped along by referral back to the picture one can print from the Twisted Throttle web site. Also fortunately, there is some sense to the way the screws, nuts, washers, grommets and other hardware are bagged. There are three bags of FHG.7847KH hardware, and an additional bag with the FHG.2828ZHV mounting hardware, totaling four bags. Once laid out, one can see two bags that are exactly the same, with the side case lock-on pins in each (noting that one of the lock-down pins is marked “R” for the right side of the bike ... Oh gee they both had an R on them. Hmm). These logically were for setting up the face (the side that receives the luggage) of each bracket. Then there was a bag where I identified (per the photograph) mounting spacers seen in ‘the photograph’ where the top of the brackets attach to the screw holes underneath the handles … two sets; one for each side. There was also hardware that I deduced was used to tie the side case mounts together in the back of the bike, because I couldn’t see them in “the photograph,” which only shows the left side of the bike. Finally was the bag containing the FHG.2828ZHV hardware. The strut attachment that goes on the right side of the bike is marked “R,” so that made sense.

So, there are a couple of issues with product and installation I will note:

1. The forward struts of the side case mounts are inserted into to the FHG.2828ZHV mounting hardware (with two tiny allan set screws). The FHG 2828ZHV mounting hardware then fastens the strut down to the rear of the right footboard. However, when the end of the strut is inserted into the FHG 2828ZHV, it does not provide sufficient clearance between the termination of the strut and the outside of the mounting hardware to allow proper seating of the plastic end-cap. The end cap finishes the installation aesthetically, and prevents moisture (I guess) from getting up into the interior of the strut. To resolve, I am going to cut the insertion neck of the plastic end cap down a little and then secure it with some good weather resistant automotive glue. The left-side end cap installed perfectly.

2. FHG.2828ZV Set screws: On the right side of the bike, when doing final tightening of the set screws, you barely … and I MEAN barely have sufficient clearance to get your little allan wrench in over the top of the exhaust heat shield. Be careful not to strip the little allan screws, burn yourself on the heat shield; lose your allan wrench behind the heat shield, etc. The absolutely right way to do this would be to undo and drop the exhaust, but I just “didn’t wanna.” I don’t really like the delicateness of the set screws, and will probably order an extra mounting kit in case something comes loose in the future). For now, everything appears nice and tight.

Despite the success, I would still have to say, (echo’ing Nick’s/Twisted Throttle comments) that bolt on parts with no instructions is not an ideal scenario. The folks in Germany could gain a lot of North American acceptance of this product with some English instructions, and I would encourage Twisted Throttle, et al to push Fehling to produce them (Ironically, there isn't even a detailed set of instructions in German). Perhaps issues like this occur because as two-wheel riders, we’re supposed to consider ourselves pioneers of our own solutions in the wild wild west, and that’s (eh-hem) cool; I was just concerned at first about messing up my bike or having a mishap if I did something wrong. Alas, I didn’t. Also, something I really like about the Fehling mounts is that, unlike the Sebastian Muellers (excellent system notwithstanding), they are a default crash guard for the rear of the bike. I'm considering the Fehling front crash guards, but given some pictures I've seen, the more of those chrome tubes one applies on the Burgie; specifically up front, the more 'scootery' the bike looks. It just takes away from those nice rakish lines. I think I'm going to visit a custom bike shop and see if someone can fabricate a more discreet protection system for the front faring edges.

I’ve attached a pic of the finished job with my new Givi cases on the Fehling mounts.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike0510c.jpg (216.5 KB, 2729 views)
File Type: jpg Bike0510a.jpg (237.3 KB, 2723 views)
File Type: jpg Bike0510d.jpg (173.0 KB, 2733 views)
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default More On Fehling Side Case Mount Adventure - Success, but ...

One of the greatest mysteries I pondered while figuring this out was ... "How the #@!@ do the sidecase mounts attach around the back? Mwell ... here's how. In the FHG.7847KH hardware, one will find a long cross bracket; and two tall posts. The secret is to go up behind the rear licence plate and fender. You'll see two screws up in there. Remove the two screws, and replace with the longer ones provided by Fehling, which pass through the cross bracket; down through the two posts and into the bike. Then, the rear struts of each sidecase mount attach to the bracket.

Another tip: Go ahead and loosely set up the grommets and locking pins on the face of the sidcase mounts themselves; however, work from the bottom up on the overall assembly. That means ... loose-mount the FHG.2828ZHV mounting hardware first; then do the FHG.7847KH cross bracket' then loosely attach the sidecase mounts to those two assemblies; then attach the top of the sidecase mounts to the underside of the passenger handles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fehling Cross Bracket.jpg (86.6 KB, 2721 views)
File Type: jpg Fehling Left-Rear.jpg (95.2 KB, 2717 views)
File Type: jpg Fehling Right-Rear.jpg (98.1 KB, 2716 views)
Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Send a message via ICQ to CorkyF61 Send a message via AIM to CorkyF61 Send a message via MSN to CorkyF61 Send a message via Yahoo to CorkyF61
Default Re: The Fehling Side Case Mount Adventure - Success, but ...

Now my curiosity is really piqued, is this a straight bolt on installation or is any drilling required? What do the front struts that go on the passenger foot rest attach to? Is there a bolt in there you attach that front strut to or do you have to drill a hole through the plastic. Final question, does all the mounting points attach solidly? By that I mean do they attach to a solid point on the scooter? Looking at the back crossmember it looks to me to be attached just to the rubber Fender, not very solid and how about that front strut, is there a solid mounting point for that. I really like the concept of those mounts. As far as that front strut going under the rubber padding I think that it would help the looks considerably if you could trim the rubber around the mounting bracket. Is that a possible option also?
TomTom One on Ram Mount
Grip Puppies
Kuryakyn throttle boss

"A just fear of an imminent danger,
though there be no blow given,
is a lawful cause of war"
Sir Francis Bacon
CorkyF61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Answers to your questions:

1. This is a straight bolt-on installation. No drilling required, anywhere. This was a concern of mine too until I figured it out.
2. The front struts attach to the mounting hardware, and the hardware attaches to the footrests at left and right hard points. You remove the screw(s) that are there and replace with the screw(s) in the kit.
3. All mounting points are solid hard points on the bike.
4. The rear bracket attaches through mounting hardware to hardpoints up underneath. Nothing attaches to the rubber fender. Look up and to the rear of your licence plate. You'll see the two screws on hard points. Two 'barrel-type' posts support the bracket. the screws that come with the hardware go through the bracket and the posts into
5. I would not trim the rubber padding. The way it mounts is quite discreet.

Paul
Old 05-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer

1. This is a straight bolt-on installation. No drilling required, anywhere. This was a concern of mine too until I figured it out.
2. The front struts attach to the mounting hardware, and the hardware attaches to the footrests at left and right hard points. You remove the screw(s) that are there and replace with the screw(s) in the kit.
3. All mounting points are solid hard points on the bike.
4. The rear bracket attaches through mounting hardware to hardpoints up underneath. Nothing attaches to the rubber fender. Look up and to the rear of your licence plate. You'll see the two screws on hard points. Two 'barrel-type' posts support the bracket. the screws that come with the hardware go through the bracket and the posts into
5. I would not trim the rubber padding. The way it mounts is quite discreet.

Paul

Thank you for posting this thread. I just ordered some of these from Twisted throttle and your input here will I am sure be very useful when installation time arrives.

Al.
phoebelala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Send a message via ICQ to CorkyF61 Send a message via AIM to CorkyF61 Send a message via MSN to CorkyF61 Send a message via Yahoo to CorkyF61

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebelala
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer

Thank you for posting this thread. I just ordered some of these from Twisted throttle and your input here will I am sure be very useful when installation time arrives.

Al.
+1
TomTom One on Ram Mount
Grip Puppies
Kuryakyn throttle boss

"A just fear of an imminent danger,
though there be no blow given,
is a lawful cause of war"
Sir Francis Bacon
CorkyF61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Poster

I'm doing the same installation, but on a 400K8. Reading over SilverSurfer's summary, points out to me that there's definitely less involved on my install, as I don't have any pieces that wrap around the back side of the bike, under the license plate bracket.

I went through the lovely process of typing the German instructions into a Word document (so I could get the accent characters right), then copying/pasting the phrases into Yahoo!'s Babelfish translator. The result? Even in German, they aren't really detailed instructions. They're more of a parts list, and a general summary of steps. You have to guess which nut, washer, bolt or screw to use, where to actually tie it in, and how to go about doing so. You can pretty easily guess your way through things, but it would have been nice to have close up pictures of the connection points, in order to ensure you're putting the washers in the right places.

I've got the Givi mounting points on both Fehling frames (which I REALLY wish were powder coated black, instead of chrome!), and the left side frame 95% installed. The problem I'm having, is in being able to get the bolt that ties into the underside of the grab handle tightened. There's not enough clearance for me to be able to get anything in there, so for now it's finger tightened, as far in as it will go. I won't ride with my E21's on, until I get that resolved.

I'll install the other side tonight when I come home from work, and see about getting the grab handle attachment points tightened. If anyone has suggestions on how to go about doing so, I'd much appreciate it!
DewaltDakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Would you be so kind as to post a closeup photo of how it attaches at the passenger floorboard?

I wanted to see if it was compatible with the siderails...no one seems to know for sure, but it should be evident from this connector. To work with the side rails it would have to be the same end-to-end barrel the siderails have so you just fit the sidecase rail in from the back. Hard so see, best shots I have of the sidecase connector in this area:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Siderail_01.jpg (26.1 KB, 2989 views)
File Type: jpg Siderail_02.jpg (38.0 KB, 2995 views)
Old 05-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Poster

Kevin/CalvinFold,

On the TwistedThrottle website, the 650 shows several pieces available, so I hope I'm reading this right...

This picture shows the side racks mounted (FHG.7847KH), when you DON'T already have the front rails (FHG.7825SV):

If you're in that boat, then when you buy the side racks (FHG.7847KH), you have to also buy the separate mounting hardware pieces (FHG.7828ZHV) that attach to the floorboard:

If you DO already have the front rails (FHG.7825SV), then the additional hardware pieces are not required, and it looks to fit together like this:

Which I believe, fits in with what you're thinking.
DewaltDakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Insane Poster

The last photo is the connector the siderails come with (FHG.7828ZHV) and only one "side" (the outside) is used if you only have the siderails. If you have the rear rails they insert in the back. What's confusing is that the photos make it looks like FHG.7828ZHV is "permanently attached" to the sidecase rails (i.e. welded on, not a separate piece like on the siderails).

So that's why I'm confused...either the sidecases have it welded-on (like the Twisted Throttle photos), or they attach with FHG.7828ZHV like the siderails...seems to me they physically can't do both, or there are two versions of the sidecase rails (your first and last photos). The two different Twisted Throttle photos further confuse the matter.

My suspicion is if Fehling was smart they used a connection like the last photo and it's simply plastic-capped on the front if you only buy the sidecase rails--similar to how mine is plastic-capped on back for only installing the side floorboard rails. And neither side is capped if you use both.

So I guess my long-winded analysis is simply to ask: does your setup look like the last photo with a plastic cap on the outside (i.e. it slips into FHG.7828ZHV thru the back and is secured by the small screw on the underside back) or is your floorboard attachment welded-on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.