Originally Posted by jgalar
I'm waiting for drop tanks
What is a drop tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepwr
Good research.
I'm glad. I shall look you up.

Nadam
A man who forces an order from the outside remains in disorder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Insane Poster

Nadam:

Nice find, my friend, and at a Beemer parts store to boot AND you got out of there for less than a hundred bucks! THAT is rare in itself! lmao......

I have looked at fuel cells myself for the Exec and think I found the one I want. It holds 3 gallons, would replace the passenger backrest and the 'plumbing' would be pretty easy to install. They also sell pads for the cell so a passenger could use it as a backrest as well. I'd then have a 350+ mile range which would be real nice sometimes.

http://www.tourtank.com

I'd have to do a little research, though, on beefing up the area beneath where the passenger backrest is since gas weighs about 7 pounds a gallon and the tank would probably be another 5 pounds. Your solution, although not plumbed into the fuel system, is certainly a very attractive alternative.

And to christopher robbins, a fuel cell is basically an auxiliary fuel tank that many LD riders use to extend their range. Cells are typically 'plumbed into' the fuel system and controlled usually by a simple petcock so when you get low and there is no gas stations around or you just do not want to hassle with the stop at that point in time, you just turn the petcock and keep on riding. Some folks will install an electrical pump that will pump the gas from your aux tank to your OEM tank..it just depends on how much you are willing to spend on it.

If memory serves me correctly, IronButt rules mandate that no more than 11 gallons are onboard and that you HAVE to stop at least every 400 miles, proving that stop by a timed and dated gas receipt. They do this for safety reasons.

Morris Kruemke, riding a GoldWing posted the longest distance without stopping or touching a foot down with his fuel-laden Wing (not during an official IronButt Rally). He had nearly 35 extra gallons onboard that allowed him to cruise over 1200 miles without dabbing a toe to the turf. An amazing guy with a true Iron Butt!

pr

PS- Nadam...drop tanks are used by aircraft, mainly fighters, to extend their range. When they are empty, they just 'drop them off' to save weight and gain airspeed.

pr/aka Pat(rick)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 Executive, one of the faster silver ones!
I cannot in good conscience call this a scooter.
It's a motorcycle.
And a keeper too!
AllTheGearAllTheTime!
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Super Poster

On demand

My earlier post about the ease of setting this up as an aux tank would still be true untill the presure is figured in. Whad'a hear when you pop the gas cap?Fawhoossh!! Fairly high pressure. Still for long trips through or to nowhere it would be great,just as it is.
As an in town extenda tank to avoid gas stops,nope,well it could but would it be worth the venting and sealing. Mayhap when we get lines back at the pump.

post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Thanks PR,

The advantage of this tank is that I only use it when I need it. Otherwise it sits on the rack and waiting for to be used. Any weekend long ride I just pop it in the trunk and I'm set for the 300+ miles. I don't use it for the daily commuting. Even for a 600 mile per day ride on a tour, I only need to fuel once during daytime and once just before the motel.

Nadam
post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Super Poster

Would it fit under an AN400 seat?

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
post #16 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjamr
I'm guessing that it would. It fits inside of 15" rim as picture shows. I've never seen an AN400. Do you know anyone has an AN650 to size up?

Nadam
post #17 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Super Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to kootie
BMW Auxiliary Tank

Quote:
I'm fairly sure it would. I've owned both the 400 and 650 (both '05 models), and my dissappointment when I "moved up" to the 650 was that the trunk seemed smaller (although the stats show the have the same capacity).

13500 miles (Jan '09)
'05 AN650K5 SILVER
Stebel Nautilous Compact Air Horn
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40
Clear View "Large" with Vent
"Tank Bag"
Suzuki of Japan Tandem Step for passengers.
post #18 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Super Poster

BMW Fuel Cell`

I really like the fuel cell you have shown, and I placed a $95 bid on ebay for a new one---will go to $110-----I am planning a 2,500 mile trip on my '05 Burg 650 in April, so going on out-back roads with extra fuel will help (even though I don't really like carrying auxiliary fuel)----will leave southern California ---through Los Vegas---to St George Utah for first night----then on north on 15 to Beaver, UT where I'll go east on 70----will get to my daughter's ranch in Whitewater, CO the next day----will do some work for her for a few days, then north on a small road to Rawlins, WY----there, I'll turn west to Salt Lake City----to San Francisco---then south on Highway one to home----I have no idea how many days it will take, but at 72 years old, still upright and moving forward, I'm going to do this on my own ----and really enjoy it ---If it takes 6 months, that's fine----The BMW fuel cell will help with an extra 2.5 gallons out on the back roads-------also purchased a Corbin seat to help on the long days.....Ev

I am enjoying the Burg 650...interested in seat mods and touring soon---retired teacher so have the time. Tell me about good mods to Burg 650....Thanks...Ev
post #19 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Ev:

Your trip sounds great! Make sure you bring a camera so you can post lots of photos.

Spudpie

"I have nothing to prove. I just like to ride."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 BMW R1100RS
02 BMW F650 GS Dakar
03 BMW K1200RS
04 BMW R1150RT
04 AN650 Burgman
post #20 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

EV,

That sounds fantabulous!!! I'd like to meet with you before your trip if possible. How about cook's corner? Any weekend is good for me. Any other so-cal takers? We can shake the whole cook's corner with our silent silencer.

Nadam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.