USB charging plug - Page 3 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 07:32 AM
Insane Poster

I USED to run a USB cord off my 12v outlet, using one of those "plug in to make it USB" things. I found the reliability of the connection doing that to be a bit sketchy. Since going with a real USB outlet wired directly to the battery, I've not had any issues....FWIW.
waysu likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Maniac View Post
BTW, running a charge cord from the glove box is not that bit a thing. I drilled a hole in the glove box just large enough to get the small end of the cord through (30 seconds), took the plastic off the handlebars (two or three minutes and, I believe only required removing a couple of the plastic rivets and unsnapping the plastics), snaked the cord out the back of the glove box and up to the hole where the steering goes through the dash then, along the handle bar to one side, leaving a few inches past where the handlebar plastics end (another few minutes), secured it to a few places to prevent snagging or chafing (another five or so minutes) and finally, replacing the handlebar covers. The only hole is in the top rear of the glove box where it will never show or be of any consequence.

The above was for a 650. On my 400, the only difference was I didn't have to drill a hole. Rather, I took the cord through the battery access hole, then secured the access cover.
You are not paying attention: the charger will not fit the plug in the glove box! The glove box will not close with the charger plugged in!

Founder and president of the New Hampshire chapter of Motorcyclists in favor of global warming.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
You are not paying attention: the charger will not fit the plug in the glove box! The glove box will not close with the charger plugged in!
I'm not following all of the story, but there are definitely short plugs. I bought a VERY short plug to use for my GPS from a dollar store... or it might have been from "5 Below". It's almost flush/

2004 Burgman 400

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Turbo Poster

Shortish plug for $5 and a 90degree usb cable from ebay for $2.
Cable runs out corner of glovebox when closed, charges at 2 amp.
Rusty J likes this.

Oct 2015 purchased 2007 Phantom Grey Metallic AN650 - 7000 miles
Feb 2016 and have done more miles in 5 months than the previous owner did in 8 years.
Mar 2016 3 MC tires in 17500 miles then went Darkside - Federal Formosa FD1 165/60r 14 - now 8000 miles in and finding it far superior to the MC tyre's.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 02:15 AM
Insane Poster

I run a ribbon-cable USB cord through the gap between the glovebox door and the surrounding panel. In dry weather I run it out the top gap (to the left of the latch mechanism) to minimize the length of wire exposed to getting snagged; in wet weather I run it out the bottom gap between the hinges so as to keep the wire from letting/guiding water into the glove box. When parked in wet weather, I'll tuck the loose end into the left upper glove box ('12 and earlier; would need to take a close look at the later models to know if it'd reach).

They're fairly inexpensive these days, as are 12V USB adapters that fit flush into the cigarette lighter receptacle.

Not all who wander lack GPS.
Whir-chirp-chirp, purr...
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 11:23 AM
Super Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
I like the waterproof one from BikeMaster. It is flat, and flexible, and you can mount it up out of the way rather than on the bars (I don't want any wires on my bars).
Thanks for sharing this solution. Just ordered this charger kit and will try to mount on bottom of handlebar GPS mount to power up my Zumo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Burgman 400A L5 "Iuki"

Burgman 400 K2 "Siuzi" (sold)
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 12:20 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyrhei View Post
Thanks for sharing this solution. Just ordered this charger kit and will try to mount on bottom of handlebar GPS mount to power up my Zumo
You are welcome (;

I hope it works for you. I liked it so much that I bought two more to install on my bike. Not sure when i will get around to it. One will be fairly soon, maybe this weekend. The other will go under the seat, which will be a lot of work, so that may be a while.

Recommendation: get stainless steel screws and nuts to mount it, to avoid rust.

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 03:04 PM
Super Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
You are welcome (;

I hope it works for you. I liked it so much that I bought two more to install on my bike. Not sure when i will get around to it. One will be fairly soon, maybe this weekend. The other will go under the seat, which will be a lot of work, so that may be a while.

Recommendation: get stainless steel screws and nuts to mount it, to avoid rust.
Thanks for additional recommendation, but I'm pretty sure that will be tight on space and will be able to fix only with plastic clamps to avoid drilling

Burgman 400A L5 "Iuki"

Burgman 400 K2 "Siuzi" (sold)
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 03:23 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyrhei View Post
Thanks for additional recommendation, but I'm pretty sure that will be tight on space and will be able to fix only with plastic clamps to avoid drilling
Well, plastic doesn't rust either (:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.