Another Honda SH150i is amongst us... - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Another Honda SH150i is amongst us...

I just picked up a SH150i for myself, as a little brother for my Burgman (Miss Ingrid). I've been considering getting a backup scoot for when she has to go somewhere else for a while, and since she's going to be out of town for all of next week (possibly two) ... well ... now I have the Honda.

To be honest, does one really have to have a reason for having more than one bike?

I haven't picked out a name for it yet, though given the fact it's black in color, I'm assigning it the male gender.

Barbara Jo (BJ)
2015 Honda CB300F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Insane Poster

Re: Another Honda SH150i is amongst us...

That sounds like fun. You need a second scooter for transportation when the first scooter is in the shop, after all.

Claude
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Okay, I rode "Versace" (he now has a name) to church today, which gave me the opportunity to get a pretty good idea of what to expect. The route there was 20 miles there on back roads, consisting of mixed 35-45mph winding roads, and 18 miles back, on 45-55mph, relatively straight (but sometimes hilly) roads.

First, the not-so-complimentary stuff...
THIS THING NEEDS A REAL WINDSHIELD! The tiny one that comes with the SH150i barely covers the dash, and serves only to keep the incoming bugs from hitting the instrument panel, directly. Honda has a taller windshield for the rest of the world, but I haven't asked the dealer if they can order them, yet. Givi offers one for earlier years, so let's hope they can get one to market for us rather quickly, as I'd rather have one of theirs. At the speeds I was going, I was very glad to have a full faced helmet.

You can't see the turn signal indicators on the dash. The angle of the instrument panel does nothing to reduce the amount of sunlight hitting the dash, so it pretty much washes out the turn signal indicators. There's no audio backup, so you'll have to either retrofit a buzzer, or remember to cancel it, yourself.

There's very little on-board storage space, without even space for a hiccup up front. You could fit a half helmet (maybe a 3/4, if it was small) under the seat with your wallet, but that's pretty much it, as the gas tank takes up all of the area under the passenger section of the seat. The built-in rear storage rack has mounting slots for Honda's version of an accessory top box, but once again, Givi offers a mount plate for earlier years, so I'll be looking to them for goodies. I'll also be on the lookout for something to mount onto the back side of the leg shield.

The brake lock is kinda hard to engage. You squeeze the rear brake lever with your left hand, then reach over it with your right hand, to pull a tiny little lever back towards you, until it clicks. I found myself squeezing and re-squeezing the brakes, trying to get the lock engaged ... but I was having a heck of a time, getting the brake lever pulled in far enough. I may have to adjust the rear brake lever a little.

I wish it had a disc brake on the rear wheel, instead of a drum, and that they weren't integrated. I prefer to be able to choose which and how much brake to apply. It's also easier to check the disc brake pads than drum shoes. Don't take this to mean I had problems stopping, because I didn't. For the money though, it should have disc brakes on the rear.

The vibration at idle is a little annoying. It's not that it was running rough or anything - it just vibrates a bit heavier than my Burgman at idle, so it's noticable for me.

I'm 5'4", with a 30-inch inseam, and while I was doing fine, someone who is taller, may have issues with the leg room. I kept wanting to move my feet farther forward. Again, it's probably because I'm spoiled by the feet-forward position of my Burgman.

Now, the good stuff...
There is absolutely no hesitation in starting. You push the start button, and it immediately turns over.

I like the bigger wheels! Both checking the air pressure and crossing railroad tracks was much easier with the 16" wheels.

This little bugger has a lot of power! It won't blow you away at takeoff, but I had no problems jumping out front from stoplights. It took my big butt up to 65mph indicated, with room still left on the accelerator. I was able to keep up my speeds on hills, as well. Honda suggests you change over to a cooler spark plug if you plan to run at high speeds for long periods of time, and I'm thinking that may be the way for me to go.

While the wind was strong against me, it was even, without bouncing me around. I would definitely recommend earplugs, though.

I like the look. The black metallic has a lot of colored flake mixed in. The plastic panel that's on the back side of the leg shield looks like it'll be harder to scuff than that of the Burgman. It reminds me of the plastic found in the old "Tuff Stuff" toys. There's also some silver trim mixed in, so when picking accessories, I can either go with black or silver.

I won't have an idea on what kind of mileage I'm getting for a few more days.

Overall...
Once I get a real windshield and a rear storage case installed, I will have absolutely no qualms about riding the SH150i back and forth to work, church, etc. Mind you, it's no Burgman, but then, that's not what it's supposed to be. I won't get my Burgman back for a couple of weeks, so it'll be a very nice backup scoot, until I go pick her up from her vacation at the dealership. Once I have both to choose from, I may find myself picking the Honda for those 100 degree days, when I want to feel a lot of wind.

Barbara Jo (BJ)
2015 Honda CB300F

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Super Poster

Hi all, I too have the Black SH150i. I agree with all the comments. This bike is fast (Not as fast as my Burgman 650). I really like the honda SH150. I ordered Honda's Shield from Europe (CMSNL.com) It came yesterday. It only took 4 days to get to CA from The Netherlands. I put it on and what difference, very nice ride with no wind pushing back. I also ordered Honda's Trunk from the same distributor in Europe, it on backorder right now, so I'll report back on that after I get it and install it. I have had the Honda SH150i up to 65 Mph with no problem. This is a very nice scooter!

2014 Honda Forza 300
2005 Burgman AN650K5 (Sold)
2009 Burgman AN400K9 (Sold)
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Mike,

The latest I saw referenced on the website you ordered from was for the 2008 model year. Since ours is listed as "all new", I wasn't sure if Honda was just referring to the fact it's new to the USA. Are you saying the accessories for the 2008 SH150i are fitting your 2010?

Which top box did you order (size/color)?

Barbara Jo (BJ)
2015 Honda CB300F
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Super Poster

Yes, The windshield parts are the same. I also ordered the TOP BOX 35 L NH-A12M 08L55KTF870B and the Pad 08P60KTF801. I have not received the top box yet, so I can't say for sure that these parts fit.

I was told by Honda Corporate, that they would have the USA websites updated with Accessories for this 2010 SH150 by the first week of July.

2014 Honda Forza 300
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Super Poster

I just spoke with Honda Corporate and they told me that the Part number for the US released Honda SH150i (Black) trunk is: 08L55-KTG-120.
CMS also carries this trunk. They said that the trunk that I ordered from CMS would most likely fit, but not guaranteed.

2014 Honda Forza 300
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Thanks for the update!

I'm probably going to go with a Givi E370, and if I can confirm fitment, a set of PL175 side racks with E21 side cases, along with the Givi 304AS windscreen. http://www.givi.it/My-motorcycle/?ma...H-125i-150i-09

[attachment=3:4qayv1ae]0_0_1_e370g730.jpg[/attachment:4qayv1ae]+[attachment=1:4qayv1ae]givish125i.jpg[/attachment:4qayv1ae]+[attachment=0:4qayv1ae]Givi_e21g730_tn.jpg[/attachment:4qayv1ae]+[attachment=2:4qayv1ae]2162_list.jpg[/attachment:4qayv1ae]=

It's not so much the price that's bad, it's the conversion factor and shipping, that raises the total cost so high...
http://www.motorama.it/en/list.asp?marca_id=12

I'm hoping we'll be able to get a US source for Givi parts in the near future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0_0_1_e370g730.jpg (3.2 KB, 3985 views)
File Type: jpg 2162_list.jpg (2.7 KB, 3985 views)
File Type: jpg givish125i.jpg (2.7 KB, 3985 views)
File Type: jpg Givi_e21g730_tn.jpg (2.3 KB, 3985 views)

Barbara Jo (BJ)
2015 Honda CB300F
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Super Poster

I agree with you. Too Expensive. I was contacted by CMS that the case I ordered was backordered and would not be available for some time, so I canceled the order. I bought a GIVI E30 case today at a local Scooter shop here in California. It has a universal mount which works perfectly for SH150i. It was only $99.00. It will fit one helmet and some extra's. I have the GIVI V46 mounted on my Burgman 650, so I know the E30 will be just as good, just a little smaller.

2014 Honda Forza 300
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

I had the Givi E30 on my Honda Metropolitan, and really didn't like the latching mechanism. That's why I'm going for the E370. It may look a little goofy at first, but whenever I get the side racks and E21's installed, it'll balance out a little better.

Barbara Jo (BJ)
2015 Honda CB300F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.