Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Got a Silverwing...

15K views 96 replies 30 participants last post by  E.D. 
#1 ·
I said I was maybe going to do it, and I have.

Now 110% officially retired (as of April 1) the age old desire for more grunt got to me and I have been watching Craigslist for the last 6 weeks looking for a $4k to $5k Silverwing; or Burgman 650, but I have been leaning toward the 'Wing. Looked at/rode a few of both and have settled on a 2006 'Wing with 9100 miles--I put 23 of them on it today.

It is in top condition mechanically and cosmetically, always garaged, got it from the second owner for $3300--well under my SWMBO approved budget--will bring it home tomorrow or Tuesday as my and the seller's schedules work out.

The 650's around here, in that price range, were '05/06/07 models with 20k to 65k miles (I did see an '09 with 50k+ miles for $4500), and as I have stated previously I am not a fan of the IMHO overly complex CVT in the 650. The Silverwing is a plain 'ol "rubberband" like the '400.

Like everything else time will tell; I will keep my '03 400 for a while just in case. I will post some pics after I get it and strip off the GIVI trunk, CB radio/intercom, cup holder, etc. I can probably get a couple hundred for that crap and the two HJC shorty helmets the seller threw in...

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats, hope ya enjoy it.
S'wing or big burger, I prefer the later for handling, but around here the prices are pretty equal, or maybe even slanted a bit higher for the S'wing.

Rules are the same of course. Keep the shiny side up & enjoy the new ride.

Cheers
Tromper

Reactions: captainfish
#3 ·
Congrats on the sweet deal Cliifyk, I ride with a bunch of SilverWings & 650's & 400's. They all do pretty well, and everybody brags about what they got. I am sure you will be pleased with your new Wing, they are fine bikes. Too bad you want to strip off the Trunk, I kinda like my T-Box, I find it quite handy. Keep hanging around here though, let us know how it goes. Good luck and safe riding!

#5 · (Edited)
For some, though not for me.

I do not like the basic design of the engine/transmission interface (the primary drive), and have not since I first saw a hammered and fretted failed primary adapter; Szi's engineers did not seem to appreciate the extent to which a 4-stroke twin would pound that component--metallurgy has never been one of Suzuki's strong points. I understand improvements were made in the later models--nonethess I am an ardent proponent of the K.I.S.S. dictum and do not care to spend that much on a bike...

#7 ·
At his target price?

Congrats, OP. I have noticed that Silverwings are the cheapest thing going with respect to the larger bikes. Not sure why that is, as anything that says "Honda" usually goes for a premium. I have seen a number of low mileage ones offered for cheap though. Glad you found one :)

#9 ·
Congrats, OP. I have noticed that Silverwings are the cheapest thing going with respect to the larger bikes. Not sure why that is, as anything that says "Honda" usually goes for a premium. I have seen a number of low mileage ones offered for cheap though. Glad you found one :)[/QUOTE]

Very true. Last Fall, I bid on a new, zero miles, 2012 Silverwing on Ebay, a Pennsylvania dealer. The starting bid was $4999, no reserve. I ended up being the only bidder, but had a family emergency so retracted the bid. That was probably a mistake. :wink

#11 · (Edited)
When I had a Silverwing, I installed the Dr Pulley Sliders and the bike was WAY FAST in take off. That's what I loved about standard CVT simplicity. It can be modified to how you like it, unlike a tranny that can't be opened up.
I also liked the lesser bulk and simplicity of the handlebar controls on the SW. Although I like looking through the B650's mirrors, I've always felt that they seemed to look like "Dumbo Ears" from the front to the SW's more sporty front & back appearance. That said, the big Burg is more stable at highway speeds due to the extra heft (it even carries two disc brakes due to the extra weight). And the B650 also seems to have more "presence" around other drivers on the road if that makes sense.

But to me this all is like judging the last two finalists in a beauty pageant. They're probably both equally beautiful, but one might be more "your kind of beautiful". If I could afford them both, I'd love to have them both in my garage. And definitely a Helix too, and a T-Max, a B400 and a......

#12 ·
I considered a Silverwing...went with the Burg for the ABS, adjustable backrest (without hacking the seat), and most of all, the dual front brakes. (I jusst cannot get past the SW's single brake.)

#14 ·
Silverwings have had ABS as an option since 2004, the '06 I just bought is a FSC600A (as in ABS, the FSC600D is the standard braking model). It became standard equipment in 2011.

An adjustable backrest was added in '05 or '06.

I rode the 'Wing over 200 miles today at speeds from 25 to 105 mph¹ -- the single disc brake works fine...

--------------------------------------
¹ - (actual, 116 indicated; same damned +10% error as the Burgmans)

#16 · (Edited)
I think you made a good move with the Silverwing. Had one of the first 2002 Silverwings sold in the US. Kept it until 2014, drove it all over the U.S. (Loved Route 66), had over 100,000 miles until it started having engine problems. I bought a 2009 650, wasn't that happy with the bike (the wing drove more like a sporty bike) and traded it in after 10 months for a 2016 650 which is much more like driving the wing.
My 2002 did not have ABS but the newer models do have it. The one thing that the Silverwing did have was dual braking system when you pressed the rear brake lever. That is, if you hit the rear brake it engaged a portion of both brakes giving you much better control.

#21 ·
My Silverwing was a 2003 model and although it wasn't ABS, I believe that was an available option that year. The rider butt bumper was adjustable ( I also added a 3 Brothers backrest) but the difference was when you adjusted it to fit you, you tightened the screws to lock it in place unlike both Burgs that simply has a pull handle to set it.
It should also be noted that I have seen dry weight specs for the SW between 476 to 500 lbs and the B650 as anywhere between 524 to just under 600 lbs. Add another so many pounds to each bike for wet weight and you can see why the Burg definitely needs that extra disc.

#22 ·
Actually, I do not have a 650. I have a 2012 Burgman 400...which still has the second rotor!

AFAIK, there is no way to add a backrest to a Silverwing without hacking the stock seat. (I use a Best backrest on my Burgman.)

#23 · (Edited)
AFAIK, there is no way to add a backrest to a Silverwing without hacking the stock seat. (I use a Best backrest on my Burgman.)
Well, I owned and rode a Silverwing for four years and the 3 Brothers backrest went on without any effort. No "hacking" required. Ditto for the Jac Vinson backrest.

I favor the 3B compared to the others. I never need extra leg room and for me that brand backrest just looks and feels better. Utopia backrests have to be cut into seats, have to be installed in a position set as far back as they can be, and are ridiculously expensive. But yeah, the 3 Brothers is the best for me and was a five minute drop in on the S-Wing.

For the passenger, the Silverwing seat actually has a butt bumper for them as well, but no raised backrest. The bike had an aftermarket Givi one that seemed to line up with the curve of the passenger butt bumper perfectly and further back I had a Givi top box adding even more back support for passenger.

#27 ·
Congratulations, CliffyK, glad to hear of your new ride. Enjoy, and please do share some photos when you can.

The thing that pushed me toward the 650 was something I might never get to experience, to-wit: long distance riding comfort. The wife is disabled (COPD, using O2) and I have to be here to provide care, and I doubt she could make it on any kind of trip (assuming she'd ever get on it in the first place!)

Some of my current job prospects might involve weekly commutes, but there too, if she's going with me, I'll need the cage. So I have a nice road bike, but I can never go very far on it.

Sigh.

That said, I do have a cage with which I am pleased. A sunroof and open windows help to give me some of the feel of riding. :)

#26 ·
Enjoy.
The silver wing is a great bike

About the worst thing I can say about it is that I feel a bit exposed on a Silverwing after having so much bodywork on my late model B400 ( the dash doesn't come up as high and it feels more "on it" than "in it" if you know what I mean) - but that is just me and not really significant.

Hope the weather clears and the two of you can enjoy some "alone time" :)

Reactions: BurgyBill
#28 ·
Congrats on the purchase. I'm undecided which I'll go for when I sell my current Burg Exec, a newer Burg or the Silverwing. I really like the idea of the conventional CVT, but I like the huge aftermarket for the Burgman. I guess I'll just see what's available when I'm ready to buy. How is the wind protection on the S-wing?

#29 · (Edited)
I Have both a 650 burg and a Silverwing 600.

I have to say my go to bike is the Honda Silverwing, It just does everything RIGHT for me and far better.

That is for me and what I want out of the two bikes.

I am 170- lbs and 6ft tall. But I guess if I were maybe 250-lbs + and as wide as the bike, maybe I would go with the Burgman650 as they are considerably wider.

I don't ride in Cold weather, so I don't want More wind protection.

I like a little wind on me, I don't like Big windshields, I want to look over the shield Not Through it.

But, For me,

I like the narrower slimmer bodywork, of the Honda and the lighter weight, as well,

I really notice the weight difference when riding through the twisties.

On my Burg 650 I put a lot of $$$ in the suspension and Cary Vincent seat to make it what I was hoping it would transform it into, a Better handling in back roads bike that is Comfortable to ride (I don't expect it to be anywhere near a motorcycle in handling but just Better than what it was stock with its very short suspension travel) I wanted to have a better more comfortable ride on the B650, and it is much better than it was stock, But Not Near as good as the silverwing.

But the Honda Swing 600 Stock Is actually better and very close to what I was trying to get My Burgman 650 to be.

For me and the way I ride, as I don't do a lot of Long distance freeway touring riding, I try to avoid the freeways as much as possible but do ride them some times.

I do back woods rides in a rural setting, for the most part, and what I want.

Which is a good handling bike that does Not feel like it is pushing through the corners (feels like the heavier Burg650's weight causes this pushing effect, rather than biting into the turns) when I want it to.

I want my bikes to provide a comfortable ride in all situations.

That is the Honda Swing 600, sorry that's my take on the two bikes the burgman 650 is just too Big, to wide, (I like a little more Comfort on a bike ride, and more air on me to) to heavy, and I modded the suspension to the Max, and it is still just OK, for me, Not really fun for me, much to much more car like than I want.

I want more from the suspension, that I believe the B650 just cannot provide me as far as comfort goes.

I could live with the Burgman 650 pushing more than I want through the turns, as I would just ride one of my motorcycles for the Better handling in rural or the Silverwing as it does great in rural rides.

But the Burgman 650's Less comfortable ride is Not as tolerable, the last bit of suspension travel is jolting, even over smaller bumps, unless the road is glass smooth.

The Silverwing gets me back to a very FUN ride!!! A ride I am very impressed with, and Like a lot.

I ride my Silverwing 10 times more than my Burgman 650.

I also like the Simplicity of the Honda Silverwing, and the 1 disc brake up front should not scare you off as the Silverwings brakes are VERY GOOD!!! and do NOT feel wooden in any way, I'm not going to compare Brakes as I don't want to upset anyone.

Sorry don't mean to make anyone mad or defensive, that is just my 2cents, and how I feel about the two bikes, as I use them, others may use theirs for only freeway travel, that would change everything, and they may feel totally different, and feel the opposite, and that is great!!! to each his own.

But I am critical of my bikes and want them to perform a certain way.

My Honda NC700X has the Best ride comfort, and is a very Good Handling bike, it beats both scooters, and I get a average of 80mpg in rural setting.

I am actually looking for another low mile Silverwing currently, I like them that much.

Note: Opinions are like whatholes.

Anyone want to buy a 2005 burgman 650? kidding!

I still like my Burg 650 just a comparison

#30 · (Edited)
When my multi-day touring days are over, and I downsize to one bike, the SW seems like a good choice: a step up from the 400 in power and a step down from the 650 in weight/bulk. Hopefully this is many years off, as I'm 'only' 64.

I do have a question though - on the Honda Powersports web site, the Silverwing page lists the 2013 model. Does Honda not market newer models in the US??

#32 ·
I wish that OP got the 650. i really do. For a technically savvy person, the bigger complexity of the 650 should not pose a big problem. I won't argue that the SW could be a better bike than the 400, but with all the respect, comparison with Lardy can not be serious.

The big Burgie is a totally different horse.

#34 ·
cheap0:
Some of my current job prospects might involve weekly commutes, but there too, if she's going with me, I'll need the cage. So I have a nice road bike, but I can never go very far on it.
Sigh.
That said, I do have a cage with which I am pleased. A sunroof and open windows help to give me some of the feel of riding.

To Cheap0, How about knocking the windsheild out of the cage and wearing your helmet while driving it, that would give you the maximum "motorcycle effect"!
============

Jarlaxle:
I wished for a bit more power (and had thought a bit about getting a 650),but after the Dr. Pulley sliders, I honestly think the 400 might be my last bike.

To Jarlaxle, I agree with you on that. My 400 might be all that I ever need. Approaching 69 now, I don't need more weight to horse around, and it's plenty fast enough.

#36 ·
Update:

After a couple months and 2000+ miles I have come to REALLY like the Silver Wing. Installing 26 g DRP sliders improved initial acceleration greatly, though not the impact that the 4/4 combination of 15 and 18 g sliders had in the Burgman 400--I have a set of 22 g S'Wing sliders on order and will play with combination of those and the 26 g to "see what I can see".

At low revs moving after the clutch has disengaged, and subsequent re-engagement it is much smoother than the 400 ever was or could be. I attribute this to the twin cylinder engine and Honda's decision to mount the clutch inboard with the bell being a press fit on the final drive shaft, right up next to the final drive input bearing--rather than hanging out at the end of the final drive shaft as with the 400.

It is heavier (525 lbs at the curb vs 420 or so for the '400), but once "gotten used to" that is not an issue and on the highway it has advantages.

It is fast. 108.5 mph (GPS, 120+ indicated) with my 214 lb butt in the saddle, and passing capability at 70+ mph is impressive. I am seeing 48 mpg overall even with my heavy hand.

In the hotter weather we have had (95° to 100°+ F) we have been having I caught a bit of pinging under heavy loads, switching to 89 octane fuel (it's spec'd for 87) resolved that.

The saddle (a custom Bill Mayer construct) is almost 2" higher than the '400; being just 5'8" myself I have had to adjust to that--but overall I like it! It is exactly what a lot of us have wanted the 400 Burgman to be...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.