Got a Silverwing... - Page 3 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Turbo Poster

My Silverwing was a 2003 model and although it wasn't ABS, I believe that was an available option that year. The rider butt bumper was adjustable ( I also added a 3 Brothers backrest) but the difference was when you adjusted it to fit you, you tightened the screws to lock it in place unlike both Burgs that simply has a pull handle to set it.
It should also be noted that I have seen dry weight specs for the SW between 476 to 500 lbs and the B650 as anywhere between 524 to just under 600 lbs. Add another so many pounds to each bike for wet weight and you can see why the Burg definitely needs that extra disc.
Wozfromoz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Turbo Poster

Actually, I do not have a 650. I have a 2012 Burgman 400...which still has the second rotor!

AFAIK, there is no way to add a backrest to a Silverwing without hacking the stock seat. (I use a Best backrest on my Burgman.)

Founder and president of the New Hampshire chapter of Motorcyclists in favor of global warming.
post #23 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
AFAIK, there is no way to add a backrest to a Silverwing without hacking the stock seat. (I use a Best backrest on my Burgman.)
Well, I owned and rode a Silverwing for four years and the 3 Brothers backrest went on without any effort. No "hacking" required. Ditto for the Jac Vinson backrest.

I favor the 3B compared to the others. I never need extra leg room and for me that brand backrest just looks and feels better. Utopia backrests have to be cut into seats, have to be installed in a position set as far back as they can be, and are ridiculously expensive. But yeah, the 3 Brothers is the best for me and was a five minute drop in on the S-Wing.

For the passenger, the Silverwing seat actually has a butt bumper for them as well, but no raised backrest. The bike had an aftermarket Givi one that seemed to line up with the curve of the passenger butt bumper perfectly and further back I had a Givi top box adding even more back support for passenger.

Last edited by BurgyBill; 05-18-2016 at 08:51 PM.

post #24 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Actually, I do not have a 650. I have a 2012 Burgman 400...which still has the second rotor!

I had misinterpreted your comment, thought you were referring to the adjustable "butt-bumper". The S'wing I just bought has a custom Bill Mayer saddle that is quite comfortable.

It's been raining here since I got the bike home Monday evening (of course)--so still no photos. I did get to ride a bit yesterday though. My initial thoughts were regarding the number of times members here have wished the 400 had "more power", "more stable low and high speed handling" and "smoother low speed operation"--the Silver Wing has all that and the simplicity of a rubberband CVT...

-cliff knight-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 06:21 PM
Turbo Poster

I wished for a bit more power (and had thought a bit about getting a 650),but after the Dr. Pulley sliders, I honestly think the 400 might be my last bike.
BurgyBill likes this.

Founder and president of the New Hampshire chapter of Motorcyclists in favor of global warming.
post #26 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 07:14 PM
Insane Poster

Enjoy.
The silver wing is a great bike

About the worst thing I can say about it is that I feel a bit exposed on a Silverwing after having so much bodywork on my late model B400 ( the dash doesn't come up as high and it feels more "on it" than "in it" if you know what I mean) - but that is just me and not really significant.

Hope the weather clears and the two of you can enjoy some "alone time"
BurgyBill likes this.
post #27 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:47 AM
Turbo Poster

Congratulations, CliffyK, glad to hear of your new ride. Enjoy, and please do share some photos when you can.

Quote:
I wished for a bit more power (and had thought a bit about getting a 650),but after the Dr. Pulley sliders, I honestly think the 400 might be my last bike.
The thing that pushed me toward the 650 was something I might never get to experience, to-wit: long distance riding comfort. The wife is disabled (COPD, using O2) and I have to be here to provide care, and I doubt she could make it on any kind of trip (assuming she'd ever get on it in the first place!)

Some of my current job prospects might involve weekly commutes, but there too, if she's going with me, I'll need the cage. So I have a nice road bike, but I can never go very far on it.

Sigh.

That said, I do have a cage with which I am pleased. A sunroof and open windows help to give me some of the feel of riding.
gec343 likes this.
post #28 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Super Poster

Congrats on the purchase. I'm undecided which I'll go for when I sell my current Burg Exec, a newer Burg or the Silverwing. I really like the idea of the conventional CVT, but I like the huge aftermarket for the Burgman. I guess I'll just see what's available when I'm ready to buy. How is the wind protection on the S-wing?

06-650 Exec
06-Majesty 400
93-Goldwing
post #29 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 12:40 PM
Super Poster

I Have both a 650 burg and a Silverwing 600.

I have to say my go to bike is the Honda Silverwing, It just does everything RIGHT for me and far better.

That is for me and what I want out of the two bikes.

I am 170- lbs and 6ft tall. But I guess if I were maybe 250-lbs + and as wide as the bike, maybe I would go with the Burgman650 as they are considerably wider.

I don't ride in Cold weather, so I don't want More wind protection.

I like a little wind on me, I don't like Big windshields, I want to look over the shield Not Through it.

But, For me,

I like the narrower slimmer bodywork, of the Honda and the lighter weight, as well,

I really notice the weight difference when riding through the twisties.

On my Burg 650 I put a lot of $$$ in the suspension and Cary Vincent seat to make it what I was hoping it would transform it into, a Better handling in back roads bike that is Comfortable to ride (I don't expect it to be anywhere near a motorcycle in handling but just Better than what it was stock with its very short suspension travel) I wanted to have a better more comfortable ride on the B650, and it is much better than it was stock, But Not Near as good as the silverwing.

But the Honda Swing 600 Stock Is actually better and very close to what I was trying to get My Burgman 650 to be.

For me and the way I ride, as I don't do a lot of Long distance freeway touring riding, I try to avoid the freeways as much as possible but do ride them some times.

I do back woods rides in a rural setting, for the most part, and what I want.

Which is a good handling bike that does Not feel like it is pushing through the corners (feels like the heavier Burg650's weight causes this pushing effect, rather than biting into the turns) when I want it to.

I want my bikes to provide a comfortable ride in all situations.

That is the Honda Swing 600, sorry that's my take on the two bikes the burgman 650 is just too Big, to wide, (I like a little more Comfort on a bike ride, and more air on me to) to heavy, and I modded the suspension to the Max, and it is still just OK, for me, Not really fun for me, much to much more car like than I want.

I want more from the suspension, that I believe the B650 just cannot provide me as far as comfort goes.

I could live with the Burgman 650 pushing more than I want through the turns, as I would just ride one of my motorcycles for the Better handling in rural or the Silverwing as it does great in rural rides.

But the Burgman 650's Less comfortable ride is Not as tolerable, the last bit of suspension travel is jolting, even over smaller bumps, unless the road is glass smooth.

The Silverwing gets me back to a very FUN ride!!! A ride I am very impressed with, and Like a lot.

I ride my Silverwing 10 times more than my Burgman 650.

I also like the Simplicity of the Honda Silverwing, and the 1 disc brake up front should not scare you off as the Silverwings brakes are VERY GOOD!!! and do NOT feel wooden in any way, I'm not going to compare Brakes as I don't want to upset anyone.

Sorry don't mean to make anyone mad or defensive, that is just my 2cents, and how I feel about the two bikes, as I use them, others may use theirs for only freeway travel, that would change everything, and they may feel totally different, and feel the opposite, and that is great!!! to each his own.

But I am critical of my bikes and want them to perform a certain way.

My Honda NC700X has the Best ride comfort, and is a very Good Handling bike, it beats both scooters, and I get a average of 80mpg in rural setting.

I am actually looking for another low mile Silverwing currently, I like them that much.

Note: Opinions are like whatholes.

Anyone want to buy a 2005 burgman 650? kidding!

I still like my Burg 650 just a comparison

2013 NC700X 82mpg average
2005 Silverwing 600 5k miles
650NC, NAKED CRUISER, Low Single Seat as light as Possible,
2005 Burgman 650, DarkSide Federal Formosa FD1, 165/60R14 75H, 460 treadwear 1K Miles
Madstad Windshield 26"H x 22"W
Race Tech Front Fork springs, Gold Emulator, 15w
Rear shocks, Progressive 412 Rear Shocks 14.250" aol
Bestem 2012 Top box, Isuzu back rest, dual Fiaam 132dbl Horns w/relay.
Surprised 54.73 mpg last tank of gas for B650
current bike's
Goldwings several different years, I have to many bikes currently

Last edited by westgl; 05-29-2016 at 12:47 PM.
post #30 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
When my multi-day touring days are over, and I downsize to one bike, the SW seems like a good choice: a step up from the 400 in power and a step down from the 650 in weight/bulk. Hopefully this is many years off, as I'm 'only' 64.

I do have a question though - on the Honda Powersports web site, the Silverwing page lists the 2013 model. Does Honda not market newer models in the US??

Jeff
AN650L4 in MMFG (Gray) Givi V47, Clearview
AN400K8 in Black, Givi AirFlow
'12 Vespa LXV150 in Portofino Green for the wife

AN400K5 in Blue (sold)
AN650K5 in Silver (sold)
AN650K7 in Gray (sold)

a Burgman rider since Aug. 28, 2005

Last edited by jeff_MDR; 05-29-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.