Got a Silverwing... - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 05:42 PM
Turbo Poster

When I had a Silverwing, I installed the Dr Pulley Sliders and the bike was WAY FAST in take off. That's what I loved about standard CVT simplicity. It can be modified to how you like it, unlike a tranny that can't be opened up.
I also liked the lesser bulk and simplicity of the handlebar controls on the SW. Although I like looking through the B650's mirrors, I've always felt that they seemed to look like "Dumbo Ears" from the front to the SW's more sporty front & back appearance. That said, the big Burg is more stable at highway speeds due to the extra heft (it even carries two disc brakes due to the extra weight). And the B650 also seems to have more "presence" around other drivers on the road if that makes sense.

But to me this all is like judging the last two finalists in a beauty pageant. They're probably both equally beautiful, but one might be more "your kind of beautiful". If I could afford them both, I'd love to have them both in my garage. And definitely a Helix too, and a T-Max, a B400 and a......
gec343, John Holbrook and zcarnut like this.

Last edited by BurgyBill; 05-16-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Turbo Poster

I considered a Silverwing...went with the Burg for the ABS, adjustable backrest (without hacking the seat), and most of all, the dual front brakes. (I jusst cannot get past the SW's single brake.)

Founder and president of the New Hampshire chapter of Motorcyclists in favor of global warming.
post #13 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 10:30 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgyBill View Post
It can be modified to how you like it, unlike a tranny that can't be opened up.
Don't worry, Obama is working on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
I considered a Silverwing...went with the Burg for the ABS, adjustable backrest (without hacking the seat), and most of all, the dual front brakes. (I jusst cannot get past the SW's single brake.)
Silverwings have had ABS as an option since 2004, the '06 I just bought is a FSC600A (as in ABS, the FSC600D is the standard braking model). It became standard equipment in 2011.

An adjustable backrest was added in '05 or '06.

I rode the 'Wing over 200 miles today at speeds from 25 to 105 mph¹ -- the single disc brake works fine...

--------------------------------------
¹ - (actual, 116 indicated; same damned +10% error as the Burgmans)

-cliff knight-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 02:09 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Yeah, I think about what my next bike would be, if I wanted to go larger. I think I would prefer a SW over a B650 mostly because I like the simpler CVT on the SW. And yes, that single front disks bothers me too, if fact that is what I bug the SW riders about the most. I surprising ask them "Hey, where's your other brake disk!". But they seem to stop just fine. Maybe it's better by making your tire air pressure easier to check.
post #16 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 06:13 AM

I think you made a good move with the Silverwing. Had one of the first 2002 Silverwings sold in the US. Kept it until 2014, drove it all over the U.S. (Loved Route 66), had over 100,000 miles until it started having engine problems. I bought a 2009 650, wasn't that happy with the bike (the wing drove more like a sporty bike) and traded it in after 10 months for a 2016 650 which is much more like driving the wing.
My 2002 did not have ABS but the newer models do have it. The one thing that the Silverwing did have was dual braking system when you pressed the rear brake lever. That is, if you hit the rear brake it engaged a portion of both brakes giving you much better control.

Last edited by Demialbano; 05-17-2016 at 06:19 AM.
post #17 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 07:07 AM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
Silverwings have had ABS as an option since 2004, the '06 I just bought is a FSC600A (as in ABS, the FSC600D is the standard braking model). It became standard equipment in 2011.

An adjustable backrest was added in '05 or '06.

I rode the 'Wing over 200 miles today at speeds from 25 to 105 mph¹ -- the single disc brake works fine...

--------------------------------------
¹ - (actual, 116 indicated; same damned +10% error as the Burgmans)
When shopping, I found exactly one ABS Silverwing...and the dude wanted about $500 over high book for it. The Wing has no factory backrest (nor does the Burg), and I was under the impression that adding one requires hacking the seat.

Founder and president of the New Hampshire chapter of Motorcyclists in favor of global warming.
post #18 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:37 AM
Insane Poster

Neighbor down the street from me has an "original" Silverwing....touring type motorcycle. He REALLY dislikes the fact that Honda re-used the name for a scooter (:
John Holbrook likes this.

post #19 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 07:55 PM

Garage
Congrats...I picked up an '09 late last summer with 1,400 miles in pristine condition. I love it and suspect you'll love yours too.

Ride safe
post #20 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Super Poster

The big Honda SW will be my choice too when I go bigger than my new B 400.
Good on you for your choice.
Stig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.