Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Kymco 550 Intro

8K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  MJR 
#1 ·
http://www.kymco.com/K50/index.html

Nice looking scooter introduced this week from Kymco. Apple doesn't have anything to worry about in competition for the best product intro's as much of this was Boy Band stupidity instead of talking about the product. 55o could be a real sweet spot with a modern motor and drivetrain.

#19 · (Edited)
Maybe we need a BurgMax 550?!
It looks very nice at first glance.
"The parallel twin line sloping engine of 550 cubic centimeters with DOHC is centrally and low placed in the aluminum frame and the final transmission is belt."
I agree with Buffalo, the step through appears too high. That was one thing I noticed right away. That would be a problem for me.
The tires might be 15" front, 14" rear?
I really like the placement of the Rear Shock, It is easy to get to for adjustment or change out. They should all be that way.
Not sure how they worked out the CVT, nor the Clutch, maybe a wet clutch in the left side case with the CVT on the right side?
"There is information about the engine that uses adjustable electronic ignition with a choice of two mappings a sporting and an economic, a corresponding change in performance according to the wishes of the rider." So the performance enhancement is in the ECU. Still wonder what kind of power output and weight it will be.
Meter Panel looks nice, but don't care for the look of the tail lights. Maybe it could grow on me.

#4 ·
I'm eager for more details on this Kymco 550. Looks like it's a twin cylinder, which is what I am looking for. I would go with the Burgman 400, but would much prefer a twin, smoother, etc. My little Kymco 125 Agility seems totally reliable, but only use it for trails, around the yard, etc. At this point, details of the new Kymco seem very limited!

Reactions: BurgyBill
#5 ·
Looks to be a frame mounted twin cylinder and CVT with cog belt drive to the rear wheel. It may very well be a contender to Suzuki's old tech Burgman 650. The Burgman 650 is now starting its 16th year of world wide production with a FEW upgrades.

#7 ·
The Kymco 550 tires look very large to me, but could be an illusion!

#8 ·
The link identifies it as a conceopt not a production bike so who knows how long it will be before it actually arrives, if it ever does. It says it is a twin but offers no specs to say what type of twin. Pretty obvious it's not an opposed twin but could be either a parallel or V. Says it has a twin power mode but no indication of what that means. Is it some kind of variable valve timing? Is it a variable transmission setting like the 650s power mode? Is it different tune settings in the engine ECM? More questions here than answers. One thing I noticed that would be a negative for me is the high step thru height.

#13 ·
I like the Looks of that Kymco K50, looks like the Yammi

#17 ·
Reactions: TonyM
#20 ·
"choice of two mappings a sporting and an economic". THIS IS WHAT SUZUKI NEEDS TO DO TO THE 2013+ 650s to get rid of that lugging vibration in the 2500-3000 rpm range!

(E.D. - what are you doing up, it's almost 3 AM ?) :eek

#21 ·
I usually am up late. I sleep all day and ride all night. It beats the heat!

#22 ·
#24 ·
They've already got a 500 single. I guess this one is for the twin lovers. If you really want to move, whats wrong with the MyRoad 700?

#27 ·
Near 50/50 weight balance sounds nice.
NO plans to introduce it to USA market.
There are still unsold 700's in showrooms, which can be had for about 60% of MSRP. Considering the poor resale value of Burman maxis - the discounted big Kymco might be a good alternative.
Stig

#30 ·
Didn't do more than roll one around a bit. I didn't like the seat 'nuff to take it for a test ride.
There are some good reviews of it and the Kymco forums have some as well. including this
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=22941.0
wherein Stig notes that the Kymco's standard CVT is much more easily serviced than the 650's.
It is a valid point, & I did think about that, but the 650's CVT has it's points as well.
Others note not as quick off the line but pulls better as you go along. Considering that rollers can be easily swapped vs. having to custom engineer your ratios via a computer you could probably adjust that a bit one way or the other more easily on the 700 unless you do have software and the know how to reflash the burger (PM me if you do..)
Unfortunately the bike flopped in the U.S. so I believe they've pulled it.
If they release it here the 550 twin may be something I'll check out though if lighter with similar functionality to the newer 650

#31 · (Edited)
"Space under the seat can be fitted two helmets, a full face helmet, a half jet helmet."

Why?!!?!?!? still do not understand why they are getting rid of storage?

I may be looking at the Kymco MyRoad 700 as it has full 2-full helmet storage. And, there seems to be some on showrooms that want to be sold quick.

also.. notice how all these new scoots are doing away with adequate footing for passengers. giving them only small pegs or such. Sadly this bike won't be coming to USA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.