Honda Adventure Scooter Concept - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san diego joe View Post
It works best if I just say: It's a scooter if it has a step-thru frame, small wheels, and a trunk (boot) for groceries".
and don't forget 'twist & go.' I would think a bike would need to have at least one additional attribute in addition to being an automatic to be called a scooter.

This Honda is an automatic adventure bike wearing a nice suit of clothes. As a tourer, commuter and general about town errand runner, this bike gives up a lot. If this is a city bike, I'd sure hate to live in that town. I hope it's a blast to ride on the adventure side of things. It is a looker though - would love to see one in person.

Jeff
AN650L4 in MMFG (Gray) Givi V47, Clearview
AN400K8 in Black, Givi AirFlow
'12 Vespa LXV150 in Portofino Green for the wife

AN400K5 in Blue (sold)
AN650K5 in Silver (sold)
AN650K7 in Gray (sold)

a Burgman rider since Aug. 28, 2005

Last edited by jeff_MDR; 12-08-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Turbo Poster

Windshield? Fairing protection? Dirt riding? Wouldn't an off road scooter just require a 250cc or less engine like many off road bikes? Or is it really an off road bike at all or just a maxi-scooter that can go off road by the way?

I don't see how it would lure many (or any) scooter riders over to it. From what we know of most people who love to ride scooters (and why they do so), I don't think there'll be any sign ups who will sell their scoots off to buy this thing. I love Honda more than most people but with the DN-01, NM4 and others why do they always come so close but not get it right? Who are they hiring for their research and development? I understand bold but you have to be smart about it too. Rant over.
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
I'm old and think it's silly looking, like something out of a "transformers" cartoon (my grandchildren used to watch those), To me it's just another case of vehicle designers pandering to the current obsession with "aggressive" styling--a "generational" thing I guess.

City Adventure they call it; where does my Bushmaster go?

-cliff knight-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Overall I like the design BUT I don't think it would be that good for offroad. Not like a true adventure bike and for sure a true dirt bike.

Put some city tires on it and I would consider it. Of coarse if it does get built it most likely won't come to NA. Honda opted not to bring the Integra scooter and this is said to be based off of that.

As to what defines a scooter - a foot deck instead of pegs{yes I know some motorcycles have small foot decks in place of pegs}. Scooters can have large or small wheels and can have conventional transmissions{Genuine Stella! - old Vespa copy}. They have great storage now but most classic scoots have little if any storage. But the one thing ALL scooters have in common is a foot deck. There are a few small motorcycles that use twist and go scooter engines and transmissions but to me those are not scoots because they lack the foot deck{example the Gilera DNA - see picture below}

Insert comment here.

Last edited by speedandstyle; 12-08-2015 at 08:08 PM.
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
I'm old and think it's silly looking, like something out of a "transformers" cartoon (my grandchildren used to watch those), To me it's just another case of vehicle designers pandering to the current obsession with "aggressive" styling--a "generational" thing I guess.

City Adventure they call it; where does my Bushmaster go?
Compared to the NM4, this bike is a plain-Jane.

speed&style added another scooter attribute: Floorboards/multiple foot positions. Still not calling this thing a scooter, though.

Jeff

AN400K5 in Blue (sold)
AN650K5 in Silver (sold)
AN650K7 in Gray (sold)

post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
What is an "NM4"?

-cliff knight-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
What is an "NM4"?
It's a Honda came out last year (I think) - do a Google search on 'NM4' and pictures will pop right up.

Jeff

AN400K5 in Blue (sold)
AN650K5 in Silver (sold)
AN650K7 in Gray (sold)

post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_MDR View Post
It's a Honda came out last year (I think) - do a Google search on 'NM4' and pictures will pop right up.
Found it, Batman had one of those in the late 60s...
Hammer likes this.

-cliff knight-

post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 05:54 AM
Insane Poster

Been talking about this concept on a UK forum. Its not for me but a few people were very interested. we are supposed to be getting it in 2017.

On the definition of "scooter"
Common usage varies but I used to have to categorise vehicle designs for officialdom and what would appear on the documents.
"Scooter" was a "body type" defined by not having a direct frame member between the seat base and the headstock (ie a step-through)

Other features may sometimes, but not always include, small wheels, automatic and footboards.

A "body type" is a loose category for visual recognition. Handy for things like the police wanting a visual description.
It carried no privileges or weight in law or taxation.

International standards varied slightly and was complicated by some countries recognising "underbone" and "motor scooter" and some not.

There is an ISO international standard of vehicle classification but I've forgotten the number of the particular document.

Last edited by Bluebottle; 12-09-2015 at 05:56 AM.
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
On the definition of "scooter"
Common usage varies but I used to have to categorise vehicle designs for officialdom and what would appear on the documents.
"Scooter" was a "body type" defined by not having a direct frame member between the seat base and the headstock (ie a step-through)
So a Honda Cub is a scooter then?

Insert comment here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.