Suzuki Burgman Forum - View Single Post - How hard are 650 tires to mount?
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Charlie Brown
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatman128 View Post
In general, smaller = harder. I manage to mount the 400 tires (120/80 - 14 F, 130/70 - 13 R) with no more than a couple of 2x4 scraps and 3 tire irons. I do not think it is particularly difficult.
After posting the question I remembered mounting a 13" trailer tire for my brother-in-law a couple of months back. It went OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyMarine View Post
easy, one swipe of the credit card and it's done !
After reading some of the posts on various Internet forums, I've come to the realization that some people have more money than they need. My local shop quoted me $570+ for two tires and mounting and balancing this morning. I can buy the tires for < $250. I guess I'm gonna rassle them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDude View Post
The front is relatively easy, doesn't take too much #(!*@, and goes on quickly.

The rear tire is a different story, the beads are so stiff that it takes a bit of planning and proper lubing to get both of the beads
on the rim, especially the second one.

I use Harbor Freight''s motorcycle tire changer which really helps with keeping the wheel in place and letting me use all my
energy an strength to get that 2nd bead on. I often have to use clamps to minimize the tire walking as I apply force in
the opposite direction. A good tire mounting bar will make the job much easier.

Give them a try and you will know pretty fast where you stand. Considering your tire changing back ground, I don't
think you will have any problems.

on one or two occasions I was defeated by that 2nd bead on the rear tire so I just took it in to a shop and they popped
the bead on for $5.00.

all the best.
Thanks for the response. I used to mount the rears on a GL1800 Goldwing, and they were the worst I've ever tried. I finally reached an agreement with a buddy who would come help me with mine when I needed it, and we mounted all his here as well, and I'd help him. An extra pair of hands was invaluable. I do the tires on both my other bikes by myself without a lot of drama.

The Mojolever seems expensive, but it's been a lifesaver on difficult tires. I also added a yellow thing from NoMar, and it's a big help.

I'll report back how it goes.

Thanks for the responses.

Retired. Finally found something I'm qualified for.

2006 Burgman 650
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome