AN650 Performance Mods or MPG enhancements - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 12:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default AN650 Performance Mods or MPG enhancements

Hi Folks,
I'm curious if anyone is familiar with any performance upgrades/bolt on's/mods for the AN650 (the bike formerly known as "the best thing since sliced bread"). I'm curious about anything related to boosting power or improving mileage (46 MPG). Either one would be fine because it's never both. I do some searches, but I don't really come up with anything.

While I have your attention, I may as well mention this. I have read numerous topics here, and I am honored to be part of a "fraternity" of this caliber. You folks seem like a great group to be part of. A biker buddy of mine busts on me saying "you meet the nicest people on a Burgman." You know; it's really true. I used to think that I couldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member (Groucho Marx or WC Fields - not sure who said it), but since owning the Burgman, I have a different outlook. So do some of my Harley riding pals after I let them take it out for a spin. They look at it a lot more seriously now. Riding is not all about loud bikes, beer and topless chicks.

Well, it's not all about loud bikes anyway. (just kidding, my wife is gonna love that one).

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

650 Black '04
BurgMeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 02:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyldman

Welcome BurgMeister to BUSA!

I'm glad you decided to pay us a visit & stick around!

I must say I love your avatar, you're the only other person I've encountered that uses Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer as an alter ego. That particular piece is 2nd only to the one I use as my favorite Frazetta piece, at least those done of the Death Dealer in particular. Have you read the books he wrote based on those pieces? (I do know that these pieces had a life before Molly Hatchet! ).

In answer to your questions, as far as mileage goes, you'll find that your riding style will have more to do with that than anything else. Some folks riding 650's get over 50-55 mpg consistantly (this is more & more likely as the engine breaks in) & the use of synthetic oil seems to help as well. Others never seem to do better than mid 40's to maybe 50, despite thier best efforts.

I would strongly suggest waiting until around 4k miles before switching though, as this gives the rings & seals time to set & swell to thier normal operating proportions. Using synthetics before then usually doesn't do any harm, but being thinner, it can migrate past the rings & seals causing oil use issues. In my experience it's better to wait a bit, then make the change.

Some will argue otherwise, & some will argue that synthetics are no good at all. This has been an ongoing debate for years & I can't & won't argue about it, I go with what I know works. This works.

As far as performance mods, there are aftermarket exhaust systems available that make claims of moderate performance increases, using higher octane fuel has been noted to increase performance some, too (this is another area of controversey that I won't get into).

There is one report of an outfit in Japan that fits a turbo to the engine that makes better than 90 HP at the rear wheel. This is without doubt putting the AN650 into territory most often populated by sport bikes. I'm almost certain that this involves reprogramming the fuel mapping, the timing, & the transmission tables to achieve those performance levels w/o doing any permanant harm to the engine or tranny.

Otherwise performance enhacements are going to be pretty thin as the limiting factor would the tranny's ability to handle any more torque or HP as the SECVT has to be tuned to the engine output to work efficiently. I have some experience with forced induction applications & have been toying with the idea of fitting a turbo in similar fashion.

Generally the best possible performance enhancement will be rider training & technique improvement to use what's already there (which believe it or not, is quite a bit already!).

I hope this has shed some light on your questions, & would again like to welcome you to BUSA!
My Gallery
Wyldman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2005, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Greetings and welcome to the forum. There are aftermarket exhausts but the only difference people notice is the exhaust tone. Not much gained really in performance.

Riding style is how you obtain mileage. Keep the tires inflated and easy with the throttle. Prolonged higher speed runs on the highway will use up the go juice. Believe it or not I actually get better mileage while riding 2 up. I'm just smoother on the throttle and avoid the jack rabbit starts.
allwalk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2005, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for responding. To be honest, I may periodically (whenever I'm behind the controls) have a tendency to get a little heavy on the throttle. I have been paying closer attention to my riding/throttling techniques, but I can't get to that 50 mark. At this point, it's turned into a quest. We'll see. If the reality of it is that a new exhaust would only give me a different sound, I'll have to pass on that option. I would rather put the money into some other enhancement maybe a Givi box.

Hey Wyldman:
Good to find another enlightened soul. Regarding the Frazetta artwork, I have to say that it is some of the best of its kind, and the books were great as well. You can always find people that recognize the artwork, but not too many even know that there were books. I believe that they are out of print now, but you can still get them on Ebay. They can have mine, but they'd have to "pry them from my cold dead hands.'

The artwork for my avitar is my favorite second only to the one that you use. Lucky for us. It reminds me of "danger at rest." Mr. Frazetta has a real talent. In fact, I would like to get out to his museum one of these days. Hey, I have an idea. I'll take the Burgman. See that? Now, I have another excuse for a long trip.

Take care and ride safe.

http://frazettaartgallery.com/ff/index.html

650 Black '04
Old 09-19-2005, 04:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

I grew up going to Frazetta's often as it was in my hometown. Hadn't given it any thought until I read your posts. It brought back some good memories!
Old 09-19-2005, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default MILEAGE

WELCOME For the frist 4-5k most of my riding was thru-town[stop ans go]
or two up at 35-45 mph on back roads which got me 45-47 avg. Now to
work I drive the exspressway at 60-65 without any stops and last
3 tanks 51.5 with a small 100 mile round trip at 55-65 and got 52.8.
Slow speeds do not seem to pruduce good mileage for me-now
have 7000 on Burg and happy with all. Drive safe and God bless
L.SKULSKI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2005, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for responding. If I can manage 50 MPH after 4,000 miles on the bike, I would happily live with that. Now it gives me something else to look forward to. Only another 2,200 miles to go.

650 Black '04
Old 09-20-2005, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Mods

Have had a AN400K3 and now a AN650K5 best mileage on the AN400K3 was 75 mpg riding trunk roads about 50 mph, to day went on a ride with the club I belong to when 120 miles got 59 mpg at a speed of 70+mph on the freeway for most of the ride. I never use the power mode and try to be smooth when applying power. The mod I made myself that works best for me is, took some close line and raped the right grip with it and raped some electrical tape over the close line and it made the diameter of the grip larger and I have more control of the gas and my hand does not get num any more on long rides. To me I like this scooter the most of any scooter that I have owned, It is a WINNER! Found out on my 400 that it took over 3000 miles before the engine was broke in and I could use Mobil 1 15/50 in it and performance inproved!...........walterb :P
walterb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.