LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. View Post
Thank You Dave_J, I will do that.
Cheers!
I did Double Shim mine. I put two washers under the plastic bracket and the bikes steel sub-frame, then two washers under the shield between the plastic bracket. With this it moves the top of the shield BACK some and down about 3/4 inch.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Insane Poster

but we need that turbulence to dessicate them obnoxious fumes that build up sometimes

never swim nekkid, they'll know who farted
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome View Post
How do you enlargement the holes with a spade bit without wallowing since you loose the center support for the point when you drill the first hole through?

How does drilling a few holes improve the airflow significantly over and above the slot in the cowl at the base of the windscreen?
I don't remember wallowing being a problem (some small chips but nothing serious). I later used a step drill bit to enlarge the existing holes and add a few more. The step drill bit was a much cleaner solution.

Keep in mind that my 650 is a 2003 with a GIVI windscreen and I wasn't able to shim the windshield like other members. I don't know if the underlying windscreen supports were bent, but adding washers/longer screws meant that the black plastic overlay wouldn't fit properly.

The holes helped to noticeably reduce the turbulence that tended to collect around my helmet. Noise levels didn't seem affected all that much (still ride with earplugs). YMMV, of course. There are so many variables in the equation (bike, rider, gear, roads, traffic, weather) that you have to feel your way along and try things out. Good luck.
Skunkhome likes this.

The Motomaster-Fram-WD40-Slime experiment continues.

Last edited by Flywheel; 03-20-2017 at 03:35 PM.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
I don't remember wallowing being a problem (some small chips but nothing serious). I later used a step drill bit to enlarge the existing holes and add a few more. The step drill bit was a much cleaner solution.

Keep in mind that my 650 is a 2003 with a GIVI windscreen and I wasn't able to shim the windshield like other members. I don't know if the underlying windscreen supports were bent, but adding washers/longer screws meant that the black plastic overlay wouldn't fit properly.

The holes helped to noticeably reduce the turbulence that tended to collect around my helmet. Noise levels didn't seem affected all that much (still ride with earplugs). YMMV, of course. There are so many variables in the equation (bike, rider, gear, roads, traffic, weather) that you have to feel your way along and try things out. Good luck.
Fly, I too have a 2003 and a GIVI shield. But I did shim mine out. The plastic overlay looks OK to me.

I do not remember what year of Goldwing that I bought a vent from but I cut the hole for it and it fit fine. Pic's of vent (Don't look at the right side of bike)

Left View OUCH.jpg

Mirror and GIVI Shield.jpg

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 PM
Super Poster

I can see the step drill doing a nice job. I pan to use to install my top box.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:06 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome View Post
I can see the step drill doing a nice job. I pan to use to install my top box.
If it's a GIVI top case mount, make sure you use the right allen screw in the right location (IIRC, one is shorter, two are longer). I accidentally used a longer one in the shorter location and punched through the top of the trunk liner, LOL. Fortunately, a foam ear plug sealed the resulting hole nicely.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:10 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J View Post
Fly, I too have a 2003 and a GIVI shield. But I did shim mine out. The plastic overlay looks OK to me.
Yeah, that's why I think the mounting brackets were cross-threaded or bent at some stage. It had scuffs on most of the fairings when I bought it, so it wasn't particularly loved. Comes with the <$3000 CDN pricetag, I guess.

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
If it's a GIVI top case mount, make sure you use the right allen screw in the right location (IIRC, one is shorter, two are longer). I accidentally used a longer one in the shorter location and punched through the top of the trunk liner, LOL. Fortunately, a foam ear plug sealed the resulting hole nicely.
Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.