My 650 won't go no mo'! - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Default My 650 finally died!

I was on the interstate in the Kansas City metro area when my scooter belt or something just detached and no matter what mode I put it in, I was in neutral. We trailered it home and it is waiting for decision. Not sure what to do, it has almost 62000 miles on it. I am willing to look at a newer Burgman and try to sell it for parts or to someone who thinks they can fix it. I think it might cost more than the scooter is worth to fix it. Any ideas? Yes, I did replace the bolt at around 50k miles. I am not mechanic, most I do is replace fluid, drive, transmission, oil etc. JC
2009 Burgman 650 Exec-White-Corbin seat & driver's backrest-XL Clearview windshield with vent-Givi E55 topcase with all lights-Kuryakyn ISO grips-Throttlemeister bar ends/throttle lock-driving lights-chrome trim-Garmin nüvi 50LM GPS-Burlwood trim-20k-mine
Silver Wing-'02-33k-wife's
jcdorz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Default My 650 won't go no mo'!

My 650 with nearly 62k miles on it, lost it's get up and go out on the interstate. I was rolling along around 70 mph and it started revving and there seemed to be disconnect between the throttle and the drive wheel. I think the chain/belt is broken. It didn't matter what mode I put it in, it started fine and then it wouldn't go anymore and it is much easier to push now-nothing slowing the drive wheel anymore. Any ideas on what to do? Would the repair cost as much as the bike is worth? JC
2009 Burgman 650 Exec-White-Corbin seat & driver's backrest-XL Clearview windshield with vent-Givi E55 topcase with all lights-Kuryakyn ISO grips-Throttlemeister bar ends/throttle lock-driving lights-chrome trim-Garmin nüvi 50LM GPS-Burlwood trim-20k-mine
Silver Wing-'02-33k-wife's
jcdorz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 07 650 Executive and 06 400S
Default Re: My 650 finally died!

With it being an 03 model it could be that the primary adapter failed. The other likely possibilities are the belt wore out or the clutch gave out. Belt and clutch are not that expensive to fix if you do the work yourself. The primary adapter is more expensive as you will likely have to replace the primary pulley. If you have basic mechanical ability then all three are fairly easy to do. The clutch work can be done in a few hours. Either of the CVT problems will take several days of work for a home mechanic to do. Not difficult work but time consuming.
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP
My Gallery
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Default Re: My 650 won't go no mo'!

If it is just the belt, if you do the work yourself it will be less than $500. If you have someone do it for you it's more than the bike is worth because of the labor involved with pulling the CVT. When I replaced the belt in mine it cost me a little more than $400 for parts and some tools that I didn't have and had to buy.
My Gallery
Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

I just checked Kelly Blue Book and it gives the retail value of an 03 650 in excellent condition as $3,635. That means that if your bike is otherwise in good condition then it is worth more than it would cost to have someone do the work to replace the belt. It shouldn't cost more than about $2,000 parts and labor to have a belt changed as long as there is nothing else wrong inside the CVT.
My Gallery
Old 07-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Bike Type: 2008 Gold Burgman 650, Broke 03 AN650

JC, pop the primary input shaft cover (on left side with two bolts) off and start it up. If the primary input adapter is turning it is more likely the belt. But if the adapter is not turning or skipping, the adapter and it mate on the engines flywheel are shot.

TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

80,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

Current GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14
Prior Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
Dave_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
MJR
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J
JC, pop the primary input shaft cover (on left side with two bolts) off and start it up. If the primary input adapter is turning it is more likely the belt. But if the adapter is not turning or skipping, the adapter and it mate on the engines flywheel are shot.
Actually when the splines strip off the primary pulley assembly the adapter spins with the engine driven gear but the bolt that holds it on does not. You can also pull the CVT air filter and see if the secondary fan/pulley assembly is turning to see if the belt broke.
'05 650 body damaged, stripped down/rebuilding back up on hold
'03 Blue 650 replaced stripped CVT primary pulley assembly/failed bearing and upgraded with Polish adapter, on the road again, yay.
'03 Blue 650 parts bike, failed CVT splines.
www.gotgroceries.net
MJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2004 Burgman 650

if you have zero traction and you did not experience any slippage or mis-shifting issues prior to the failure, it is very likely that your CVT belt broke, you can check that rather easily by taking the PPS out and peaking in there. Or if you have one of those remote cameras with a flexible shaft, you could go in via the CVT exhaust without taking any tupperware off.

If you like the scoot and don't mind doing the work yourself, I think You can repair it for about $400-600 depending on what has to be replaced for the belt job.

you can always buy another 650 and part this one out, it all depends on what your priorities are and how much time you have on your hand.

62k miles is pretty decent for the belt... mine went out at 52k miles, Buffalo got over 80k miles on his before it broke.

You can check this DIY to get an idea of the scope of the project if you decide to do the repairs yourself:

DIY - CVT Repair
LeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Old 07-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to captainfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdorz
Yes, I did replace the bolt at around 50k miles. JC
May I ask, what "bolt"? And why is needing to be singled out as that you had it replaced?

Also, what is a "primary input adapter"? Is this a mating adapter between the engine and the CVT "transmission"?

Photo Gallery: http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Captainfi ... Lightning/
captainfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.