Corbin Tall/Long Owners - Help - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Default Corbin Tall/Long Owners - Help

First off, let me say that I am quite comfortable on my stock seat. The longest day I've done so far is only 540 miles, but I have found I am easily good for one full tank (around 175 miles) between breaks. I use a sheepskin pad to keep perspiration down.

So, I didn't consider a replacement seat- until I caught wind of the Corbin Tall. I'm 6'4", but it's a lot of leg (36" inseam). That's one of the things that put me on a Burgman 650 over the other competitors (Silverwing, AN400, T-Max). My knees hit the dash.

Still, with the backrest removed, I find I am still a bit cramped (legs only). Also, my knees are higher than my hips when I'm seated, which is bad for low back.

For those around my height, I'd like to know how the tall changes seating position. If I buy the tall, is there a good chance my legs will benefit from the 3 inches gained? Specifically, do you think I can get my knees lower than my hips? Is seat height higher or lower than stock seat? If I sit farther back, but lower, my knees could still be higher than my hips... I'd like to sit a bit higher, too if I can.

It's a big outlay of cash for a farkle I don't need (buttocks-wise, at least). I want to be sure it will fix my leg problem.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 07 650 Executive and 06 400S
Default Re: Corbin Tall/Long Owners - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynail
For those around my height, I'd like to know how the tall changes seating position.
I'm not your height (I'm only 5'11") but I am long legged for my height (33 inch inseam) and I am one of the few Corbin long owners that is active on the board so I'll try to answer your questions.

Quote:
1) If I buy the tall, is there a good chance my legs will benefit from the 3 inches gained? Specifically, do you think I can get my knees lower than my hips?
I think you will benefit from the extra set back, I did. On the stock seat even with the butt stop removed my knees were also higher than my hips and now I can get my legs out so that they are not. I can put my feet up at the top of the upturned part of the footrest and straighten my legs completely out with my knees locked. With 3 inches more leg you might not be able to do that but your should almost be able to.

Quote:
Is seat height higher or lower than stock seat? If I sit farther back, but lower, my knees could still be higher than my hips... I'd like to sit a bit higher, too if I can.
The seat is just a tiny bit higher than the stock seat but not a lot.

It is also just a little wider at the back most portion of the seating area. I find I must rock forward a little when I put my feet down at a stop because of this extra width.

One other thing you need to be aware of. Because you sit further back on the bike it changes the balance and handling of the bike. To me it seems to make the bike a little slower on the turn in. I compensated for it some by bumping the rear shock preload up to 5.
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP
My Gallery
Buffalo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm 6'2" and also have a Corbin long. I moved it from my 1st 650 to the one I have now and combined I have over 80,000 miles on it.
I could not ride long distances with the stock seat as my right knee does not bend very far but with the long I don't have any problems.
I love the seat.
I do also have 1" risers which make the handle bar position very comfortable as well.
I did add a stronger piston as the stock one will not keep the heavier Corbin up.
I also have the back rest and I like it as well.
Clearview windshield
Poly grip heaters
Brakeaway MC Cruise control
Comagination headlight modulator
Givi E55 topbox
Kurikan ISO grips
Dual FIAMM horns
MB running light mod.
Custom flag mount
Amber strobes
Proud Patriot Guard Rider
dhobin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Insane Poster

What did you use for a stronger piston to keep the seat up?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Hmmm. Some things to consider.

I got the Jac Vinson not so much for back support - just to be able to slide back a bit more and still use the stock butt-bumper to some degree. It does get me a bit more leg room, but my tail bone sometimes gets hit by the metal upright when I get bucked by a rough bump. Same thing only to a lesser degree when I run sans bumper altogether.

I don't like what you said about handling, Buffalo. Most often, I am perched on the tip of the seat with legs tucked under me when I am in the twisties - so perhaps it won't be an issue for me. I relax and sit back in the long stretches of straights.

I'm just thinking about the Corbin and might still do it if only because I can recoup maybe as much as 2/3 of the cost by re-selling it here in the classifieds as a barely used item. The resale value on one is pretty good.

I just wish there was someone near me that had one so I could try it out. It's a bigger gamble on fixing the leg issue. I know they have great testimonials for butts, but I don't need one for that...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 07 650 Executive and 06 400S

Quote:
I don't like what you said about handling, Buffalo. Most often, I am perched on the tip of the seat with legs tucked under me when I am in the twisties - so perhaps it won't be an issue for me. I relax and sit back in the long stretches of straights.
It's a minor but noticeable thing. Sliding forward on the seat will move your weight forward and negate it. I sometimes do that when I am serious about running the twisties. Most of the time I just start my turn in a blink earlier and don't worry about it. It's not enough of an issue that it will slow you down any. It's just something to be aware of the first time you head into the twisties so your not caught unaware.
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP
My Gallery
Buffalo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Bike Type: 2007 Burgman 651 Phantom Metallic Grey
Garage

I was apprehensive about what Corbin to get. I'm only 6'1, 32" inseam,but wanted to strech my legs out. I decided to bite the bullet two weeks ago, and called Corbin. Those guys are great! We spent time talking about what I wanted, and how to achieve it. They wanted height, weight, and inseam. Then he explained that part of the warranty is that if it isnt right, they'll pay for return shipping, and make it right. I'm actually looking forward to the last week of the month when my seat is due to arrive. Since you're buying a new seat, give them a call, and talk to them.
Givi E50 Topboxw/Luggage rack/Admore light kit
Ram ball mount Drink holder Ram GPS holder
TomTom GPS. RockBox. SpeedoDRD
aamigos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is wher I got mine.

Reinforced piston for opening automatic seat Burgman

Sell ??reinforced pistons for all models 400/650 Burgman.
The piston has a calibrated force to lift the seat completely, see video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rA0hAR6rrM

Price: € 40.00 + € 16.00 Shipping recommended
paypal payment

Mail: uomo-vitruviano@libero.it
by uomo-vitruvianoTue Jan 10, 2012 15:36 15 Forum: Aftermarket and AccessoriesTopic: Reinforced piston for opening automatic seat BurgmanReplies: 0Views: 154
Clearview windshield
Poly grip heaters
Givi E55 topbox
Kurikan ISO grips
Dual FIAMM horns
MB running light mod.
Custom flag mount
Amber strobes
Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Bike Type: 2007 Burgman 651 Phantom Metallic Grey
Garage

dhobin, did the new piston replace the old one, or did you have to modify? In the video, it looks like the piston is on the left side of the scoot, but mine is on the right side.
Dennis
Givi E50 Topboxw/Luggage rack/Admore light kit
Ram ball mount Drink holder Ram GPS holder
TomTom GPS. RockBox. SpeedoDRD
aamigos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

No modification just swap.
Clearview windshield
Poly grip heaters
Givi E55 topbox
Kurikan ISO grips
Dual FIAMM horns
MB running light mod.
Custom flag mount
Amber strobes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.