Pulley stopper bolt....... - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Pulley stopper bolt.......

FWIW, I replaced the stopper bolt in our K9 650 in May of 2010 when we had 2600 miles. While installing the new stopper bolt I smeared a little wheel bearing grease around the end of the bolt. Well.......I just checked the bolt yesterday after 6100 miles (8700 total) and there wasn't any dimpling what-so-ever. I'm thinking that the grease must be helping to prevent any friction that might take place that causes the dimpling. Btw, it doesn't take much grease........just a thin film around the end of the bolt.

Presently-White Lightning 2009 Burgman 650 (wife's) 13,600 miles
Formerly-Blue 2007 Burgman 400 (wife's) 9980 miles-----SOLD TO BUY FATBOY
Formerly-Blue 2007 Burgman 400 (mine) 4985 miles-------SOLD TO BUY K9 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Insane Poster

Re: Pulley stopper bolt.......

To tell the truth, I don't see how grease on the end of the bolt could do any good other than maybe providing a little cushion. The bolt doesn't slide against anything. It's there to keep the adjuster from turning.

I would caution anyone that decides to try this to keep the grease to a minimum. If any of it were to migrate out and get on the belt or pulley faces it would not be a good thing.

--- Craig AKA Cliffhanger----
"Big Red" 2007 Red Executive - 135,601 miles
"Little Blue" 2006 Blue 400S - 47,746 miles
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootermikie
While installing the new stopper bolt I smeared a little wheel bearing grease around the end of the bolt. Well.......I just checked the bolt yesterday after 6100 miles (8700 total) and there wasn't any dimpling what-so-ever. I'm thinking that the grease must be helping to prevent any friction that might take place that causes the dimpling. Btw, it doesn't take much grease........just a thin film around the end of the bolt.
Did the same thing, just used Never-Seez and some lithium grease on mine.

Allows that collar to slip a bit when in contact with the bolt, rather than stick in place and begin to cut into it.

2005 AN650 Burgman ("chipped" ECM) running on E-85 ethanol.
Custom engine oil, transmission and final drive fluids.
BMC (FM388/19) Air Filter. Power Commander III.
Xenon Headlights
EBC HH Brake Pads and Rotors.
TCB on all Brakes.
Metzeler (Made in Germany) FeelFree Tires.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Insane Poster

I would listen to Buffalo on this one... I wouldn't introduce / inject any type of oil / lube into the CVT housing...

they went through a lot of trouble to keep that space as air tight and clean as possible...

Happy Riding . . . . .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LeDude .... . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . .

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Insane Poster

I no longer own a 650 but I would not be inclined to checked it at only 2600 miles. If something is tinkered with enough soon it will be screwed up. Rather hard to fix something that is not broken. Maybe at 10,000 or 15,000 to prevent a problem I would check it. And grease on a surface that does not slide is a poor idea. Grease also has thickness which may hurt the length of the bolt.

From the hills of Tennessee
Welcome to another day the Lord has made
2009 White Burgman 400
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo
I would caution anyone that decides to try this to keep the grease to a minimum. If any of it were to migrate out and get on the belt or pulley faces it would not be a good thing.
I guess I'm not sure exactly what the function of the bolt really is, but it seems there is some contact made, otherwise what causes the dimpling at the end of the bolt? And, like I said.........I used a very small amount of grease........just a thin film. Btw Craig, just wanted to say you did a great job replacing the belt on your scoot. Thanks for sharing the experience.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet_Benson
I no longer own a 650 but I would not be inclined to checked it at only 2600 miles. If something is tinkered with enough soon it will be screwed up. Rather hard to fix something that is not broken. Maybe at 10,000 or 15,000 to prevent a problem I would check it. And grease on a surface that does not slide is a poor idea. Grease also has thickness which may hurt the length of the bolt.
Actually Chet, at 2600 miles the original bolt had some dimpling.......not severe like some guys had, but enough that I changed it. However, I did keep the original as a spare. Regarding the use of grease.......I guess it's one of those "to each his own" things. I'll continue to use a thin film of grease around the end of the bolt.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
FWIW, I replaced the stopper bolt in our K9 650 in May of 2010 when we had 2600 miles.
I posted a message regarding the stopper bolt on my K9 650 a while back regarding whether the bike had the new design or old designed bolt. You can check the bolt head without removing anything. My 650 was purchased new (in Clearwater FL. at the Suzuki dealer, Chet) in April. It had the b6 stamped on the head so I will not be concerned for the first 10,000 miles.

Givi V46 top case with Admore LED tail/stop/directional signals
Modulator headlights
Break-Away cruise control
Hyper stoplight to replace reflector under the license plate
Oznium LED's
Utopia backrest
Garmin Nuvi 1490 GPS with Ram mount
Cramp Buster
X-Large Clearview windscreen
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Insane Poster

When I traded my 2009 650 it had over 25k on it and the bolt still looked good.

Bill

Enjoy the ride...
Miles - 2581 Average MPG 61.4
on the 2013 650.
Now on a 2013 Spyder RT
First fill-up 111 miles 26 MPG
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
I guess I'm not sure exactly what the function of the bolt really is, but it seems there is some contact made, otherwise what causes the dimpling at the end of the bolt?
The function of the stopper bolt is to act something like a wrench would on a bolt head when you are trying to undo the nut on the other end. The electric motor on the CVT is like the wrench that is trying to turn the nut. If the stopper bolt was not there the whole adjuster assembly would just spin and the ratio would not change. The stopper bolt keeps it from turning so the adjuster inside can be screwed in and out to change the pulley width and thus the ratio of the CVT.

The dimpling is caused when the adjuster housing hits up against the bolt each time the direction of the adjustment changes. If anything it would seem that the grease would make the bolt slip easier in the slot and increase the likely hood of dimpling.

--- Craig AKA Cliffhanger----
"Big Red" 2007 Red Executive - 135,601 miles
"Little Blue" 2006 Blue 400S - 47,746 miles
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.