650 won't start - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Default 650 won't start

I have had problems with my 53,000 mile 650 not starting sometimes, especially after I've run it around and then I stop, park, go in store and out in a couple of minutes, it won't start. If I wait 10 minutes or more, it will always start again. It's as if, I've hit the kill switch but I haven't. There is no sound, nothing. My mechanic suggested that I spray the electronic cleaner where the starter button is. If I do that ahead of time, it lasts for several weeks with no problems. If I don't do it every 2-3 weeks, I have problems with it starting. Anybody else had that problem? JC
2009 Burgman 650 Exec-White-Corbin seat & driver's backrest-XL Clearview windshield with vent-Givi E55 topcase with all lights-Kuryakyn ISO grips-Throttlemeister bar ends/throttle lock-driving lights-chrome trim-Garmin nŘvi 50LM GPS-Burlwood trim-20k-mine
Silver Wing-'02-33k-wife's
jcdorz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Default Re: 650 won't start

corrosion. you may want to start looking on ebay or something for a new assy. i found one for my vstrom for 25 bucks! it was like brand new. its the entire assy that mounts on the handlebar with all wires already attached. you will have to clip it into the connector under the dash though. its kind of hard to reach. u will have to remove alot of plastic i think.

-matt
Old 11-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Bike Type: 2010 Burgman 650 - Executive in Silver

only two pieces - handlebar covers.
AN400 - 2001 (Sold 8/13/05)
Norm's Pics
NormanB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2004 Burgman 650

it can be a number of things...

start by taking the starter assembly apart, cleaning it and putting back together...
how old is the battery?
sometimes it can be a stator/alternator problem, could just be a simple connection issue or worn out contacts.

hopefully it isn't a fuel starving issue, those fuel hoses can sometimes get pinched... check them...

put together a plan of attack and eliminate all possibilities one by one..

check the diagnosis diagrams on my site..: Trouble Shooting Pages

some ideas from just the first page:

- compression too low
- plugs not sparking
- no fuel reaching the intake manifold
- incorrect air fuel/mixture
- etc...

LeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Bike Type: 2008 Gold Burgman 650, Broke 03 AN650

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdorz
I have had problems with my 53,000 mile 650 not starting sometimes, especially after I've run it around and then I stop, park, go in store and out in a couple of minutes, it won't start. If I wait 10 minutes or more, it will always start again. It's as if, I've hit the kill switch but I haven't. There is no sound, nothing. My mechanic suggested that I spray the electronic cleaner where the starter button is. If I do that ahead of time, it lasts for several weeks with no problems. If I don't do it every 2-3 weeks, I have problems with it starting. Anybody else had that problem? JC
Ok, I had a "HOT NO START" problem on my 03. The Starter Clutch would get real hot and lock up. By spraying water on the case it would steam off, as soon as no steam, it would start up. You have to pop the engine cover off and carefully feel the right side case where the starter bolts into. ----IT MAY VERY HOT!!!---- I used a can of "Keyboard Dust-off" upsidedown to spray on the case. DO NOT SPRAY THIS ON YOURSELF as it will cause FROSTBITE!!! It is R-134a and when held upsidedown sprays liquid R-134a. Normaly I had a spritz bottle of 50/50% water/isopropyl alcohol in the trunk to spray on it but ran out. The fix may require pulling the side cover off and replacing the starter clutch. I did not fix mine, just bandaid'ed it.

TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

80,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

Current GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14
Prior Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
Dave_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Location: Ohio, City is home of the Pumpkin Show ( Circleville ), USA
Send a message via AIM to rtAnimal

Quote:
My mechanic suggested that I spray the electronic cleaner where the starter button is. If I do that ahead of time, it lasts for several weeks with no problems. If I don't do it every 2-3 weeks, I have problems with it starting. Anybody else had that problem? JC
It appears some of the members didn't read completely through your posting!

It just sounds as if you have a dirty set of contacts in your starter switch button. Remove the screws at the bottom of the switch housing. Now carefully disassemble the components in the starter switch. You can use a pencil eraser to clean off the contacts. If you see any major corrosion you can use crocus cloth to clean them. If there is any major pitting you will probably have to replace the complete assembly as Suzuki doesn't sell parts for their junk plastic switch housings. Also check to make sure the springs inside the housing has good spring tension. I can't remember which switch it was on my scooter as I've cleaned them on both sides. On one I cut down a ink pen spring to replace one that didn't have very good tension on it.

Good Luck
&
Happy Sc°°ter´ng!
rt┼n´mal
Old 11-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2004 Burgman 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtAnimal
Quote:
My mechanic suggested that I spray the electronic cleaner where the starter button is. If I do that ahead of time, it lasts for several weeks with no problems. If I don't do it every 2-3 weeks, I have problems with it starting. Anybody else had that problem? JC
It appears some of the members didn't read completely through your posting! Good Luck Happy Sc°°ter´ng! rt┼n´mal
dirty contacts are usually a hit or miss instance, you don't have to wait 10 minutes or so for the contacts to clear out or clean themselves...

spraying stuff into the electrical cluster assemblies may work short term but will keep adding to the build-up inside the assembly and aggravate the issue further over time.

if you suspect electrical contacts, remove the assembly, open it up, clean it and put it back together.
LeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Bike Type: 2008 Gold Burgman 650, Broke 03 AN650

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtAnimal
Quote:
It appears some of the members didn't read completely through your posting! Good Luck Happy Sc°°ter´ng! rt┼n´mal
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDude
dirty contacts are usually a hit or miss instance, you don't have to wait 10 minutes or so for the contacts to clear out or clean themselves...
spraying stuff into the electrical cluster assemblies may work short term but will keep adding to the build-up inside the assembly and aggravate the issue further over time. if you suspect electrical contacts, remove the assembly, open it up, clean it and put it back together.
I did read it and understood that could be a problem. But like LeDude said it would not be a "Wait 10 mnuits and it will start up" failure. The Starter Clutch will. My guess was it was not the start push button. But by all means, it should be cleaned and relubed as needed.

Jcdorz, when it does this "NO Hot Start", do you hear any noise under the seat, like a click? The starter relay is on the Battery top cover. On mine I could hear the click 7 out of 10 times. I put a VOM on the starters + lead and had 12'ish volts when I pushed the start button, but the starter would not turn untill the starter clutch cooled down, 10 - 15 minuits.

TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

80,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

Current GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14
Prior Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
Dave_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.