Won't start. Solenoid? - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Poster

Send a message via MSN to hosejockey982
Default Won't start. Solenoid?

Hey everyone, here's the situation. My bike has started pretty much fine over the past 93000 km's with just replacing the battery about half way thru. I installed a MC stereo yesterday, (intended for a MC), tried to start it and nothing.

Hooked up the battery, the relay, turned the key, got power to the bike (head lamps, gauges, accessories) turn the key and it made a "click" sound, then no power. A friend said it sounded like it had the ear markings of a solenoid. What do you guys think?

There's tons more knowledge here than I have and I was hoping someone could tell me if this sounds right? Also, where is the solenoid, an how do you replace it?

Thanks again everyone .
IBA #42574
SCRC #261072
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
hosejockey982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2013 Burgman 650
Default Re: Won't start. Solenoid?

If the scooter would start before you installed the radio and not after, I would retrace everything you did because it sounds more like you disconnected something rather then a solenoid being bad.

Bill

Enjoy the ride...
Now on a 2013 Spyder RT
First fill-up 111 miles 26 MPG
Bill-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 07 650 Executive and 06 400S

A quick test to see if you possibly have a bad solenoid is to short across the two post on it with a screwdriver. A solenoid is just a switch. One of the heavy wires on it goes to the battery and the other goes to the starter. The solenoid connects the circuit to allow current to flow from the battery to the starter. If you short between the two post you will bypass the solenoid and let current flow directly to the starter. Even if the starter turns when you do this, it doesn't mean the solenoid is bad. You will also have to test the circuit from the starter switch to the solenoid to determine that current is flowing to energize the solenoid.

Warning before doing this put the bike on the centerstand, apply the parking brake and be sure nothing is contacting the rear wheel. When you short between the two post you will also be bypassing all the safety switches that keep the starter from turning when you don't want it to. The starter can turn even with the key in the off position. Also remember that the battery is right under the solenoid and if any hydrogen is outgassing from the battery an explosion can occur. Move the cover as far away from the battery as you can and use a fan or other air source to blow away any hydrogen that might have collected in the area before you short across the post.
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP
My Gallery
Buffalo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Bike Type: 2010 Burgman 650 - Executive in Silver

I would first of all eliminate battery/charging problems.
It may be too weak - charge or get a jump from another vehicle before diving into deeper diagnosis.
Your recent work may have introduced an 'unauthorised' drain with the key in the off position - you can check by measuring in-line current.
AN400 - 2001 (Sold 8/13/05)
Norm's Pics
NormanB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Bike Type: 2008 Gold Burgman 650, Broke 03 AN650

Hosejocky, I too think that your Starter relay is NOT the issue. Do you have access to a Volt-Ohm Meter (VOM) ? Using a VOM, measure the Voltage at the battery, should be at 12.5 volts. If below 11 volts the lights and stuff will still glow but the starter will only "CLICK".

I think, like said above, your wiring job for this "NEW" stereo is at fault. About 95% of the time if it worked before the Mod, but does not after the Mod, it must be the Mod.

Just about any Stereo has three power leads some have more. The Red for positive power, a Black for negitive and an Yellow for memory. If you put the red and yellow stright to battery and forget to power down the stereo, DEAD BATTERY and a "CLICK" noise. The Red wire (Acc) needs to go to a key switched power source so when the key is off, so is the stereo. The Yellow wire goes to the batterys positive and will keep all your stations in memory.

Please check your wiring and charge the battery.

TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

80,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

Current GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14
Prior Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
Dave_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Poster

Send a message via MSN to hosejockey982

Thanks guys I truly appreciate all your help. I was the new stereo, but for some reason connecting directly to the battery caused this problem. I disconnected everything, charged the battery, and then hooked the battery back up by itself and the bike fired right up first try.

So I got a 12v cigarette adaptor, and tried to power up the stereo that way, and it works fine. wonder why??

Anyway...thanks again!
IBA #42574
SCRC #261072
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
hosejockey982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2004 Burgman 650

depending on the make and model of your radio/stereo equipment, just like a lot of household appliances, it could be drawing / consuming power even when it is turned off and the bike isn't running which could lead to draining your battery ...

just set up a Switched Power Supply Mgt. System and you be certain that the stereo/aux device isn't drawing anything once you turn off the bike.

LeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.