Final drive oil leak - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Default Final drive oil leak

Well, isn't this a b***h, just got back from a 100+ mile ride which was great. Son told me there was some oil under my 09 Burgman (just out of warranty). Pulled axle and it appears to be coming out of around the output of the final, 5th gear, where gear (outside teeth) mesh with axle inside teeth that drives the wheel. I guess there is a seal here. Can this seal be removed from here without dissembling the final drive?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0452sm.jpg (144.3 KB, 1221 views)

Terry from Georgia

Patriot Guard Rider
grip puppies
GPS Garmin
Clear View windshield w/vent
mirror Led turn indicators
TrinityTrike -8/27/09 15000+ miles on it
Isuzu back rest
Fehline pass backrest/luggage rack
Ikon shocks
Racetech front springs & emulators
zeco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Default Re: Final drive oil leak

I'm not aware of anyone on here reporting a leaking final drive seal. Dumb question: Are you sure it isn't excess gear lube from the splines? I would definitely check the oil level by pulling the fill plug, topping it off, riding some more and then pulling it out again and checking the oil level to confirm that it is leaking.

Page 4-4 of the Service Manual describes the oil seal replacement. Unfortunately, they only describe how to do it with the entire final drive case removed and pretty much disassembled. I'm thinking the outer seal (in your picture) could possibly be done without disassembly. The the manual shows 3 total seals, but I think the other two are up at the transmission end.

Hampton Roads Scooter Group

Learn more in the Burgman Knowledge Base

Why Burgman? Because the world doesn't need yet another software engineer
playing make-believe outlaw, riding a Harley in a pirate costume. -larrysb
Colchicine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Poster

It's a definite new leak with a drip every few minutes still after my ride over a few hours ago. I stopped in driveway for a few minutes while opening garage and there's no oil spot where I stopped. Oil in final drive was changed by me about 3000 miles ago and it was right on the money at that time. I can't guess the amount, but the puddle is about 12 inches and still slowly dripping. Seems like it should stop when it get to the bottom of the seal.

The arrow in picture shows where the oil is coming out at the bottom. The splines do not run in oil - they are in the cavity where it is dry.

Looked a parts at Ron Ayers. Sear is about $30., wonder if this seal could be pulled from right side without removing final drive. Have the manual, but information is pretty slim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0452sm.jpg (142.5 KB, 1215 views)

Terry from Georgia

Patriot Guard Rider
grip puppies
GPS Garmin
Isuzu back rest
Ikon shocks
Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Poster

What type and WT of final drive lube are you using? Might look into a different type of lube. This same thing happened to my sons
Mean Streak. Changed to a different oil and no more leak...just a thought.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bergster,

I have Amsoil Gear Lube 75W-90. I doubt that this leak existed at all till yesterday, not even a tiny seep. Then to a good leak. I don't believe any oil could cause such an abrupt change. I have 3 vehicles beside my Burger and with over 750,000 miles between them none have even developed a leak with Mobil One and Amsoil. Also the puddle is no larger than yesterday. I'm not going to do it, but I bet that the final gear is still well into the oil that it would carry oil all the way back to gear one. I studied the manual last night and had some thoughts about what to look for in the manual. It's too bad the manual isn't more comprehensive. Manual shows pictures of other seals, but not this one. It kind of shows you why so many mechanics have difficulty fixing some things without a ton of labor figuring out how to take it apart. Anyway, I feel the seal was damaged by the spline assembly on the wheel rubbing against it. And the question is, can I pull the seal from the right side or do I have to tear the final drive apart. On Monday, I plan on making a phone call to see if this was the cause. I will order a seal today (about $30) as this may give a hint on which side it needs to be installed from. Also do I need Suzuki's special seal removal tool($48.)? And one more issue, the case gasket. Don't know where to fine a picture of the case gasket with part number.

Terry from Georgia

Patriot Guard Rider
grip puppies
GPS Garmin
Isuzu back rest
Ikon shocks
Old 03-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2013 Burgman 650

zeco,

You had your 09 converted to a TrinityTrike and I am wondering if this is the one that is leaking at the seal. If it is, could it be that the conversion is placing a strain on the seal and causing the leak? Let us know if this is the case.

Bill

Enjoy the ride…
Now on a 2013 Spyder RT
First fill-up 111 miles 26 MPG
Bill-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2004 Burgman 650

my guess is that the trike conversion has something to do with it, either putting excessive force on the assembly or throwing it out alignment and causing the housing to shift and damage the seal...

you are, alas, the first to ever report a leak like this one, at least for the past 7 years that I have been following 650 news/threads.

you will probably have to take the drive train apart and replace the seal... but it may be a good idea to talk to a professional suzuki mechanic that you trust in your area, they may know of a quick way to replace the seal without a complete dissassembly.

sorry to hear about your problem, but it could have been worst... your cvt could have bit the dust..

all the best and good luck with the repairs....

ps: don't worry about the tool until you get to the seal, they usually can just be pulle dout with a screw driver... but ask a suzuki mechanic if there is one that you trust.

ps: I couldn't find the part number anywhere, you may have to pay a visit to a suzuki dealership and check with the parts or service guys, they sometimes have more detailed micro fiches than the rest of us mortals.
LeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bill, I agree with you. The Trinity Trike should be suspect given the lack of leaks with other 650s.

I have a feeling that the Suzuki Special Tool is just a glorified screwdriver. Don't order it until you actually need it.

Hampton Roads Scooter Group

Learn more in the Burgman Knowledge Base

Why Burgman? Because the world doesn't need yet another software engineer
playing make-believe outlaw, riding a Harley in a pirate costume. -larrysb
Colchicine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Terry Dill

The special oil seal removal tool is 09913-50121. Shown on page 4-5. The end doing the work looks like a glorified screwdriver with a bit of a hook on the end.
Clearview Windshield, Mirror Turnsignal Conversion
Stebel Horn, McCruise, LED Voltmeter,
Besteem 929 Top Case, GIVI E21s
Brake Res. Ram Mounts, Garmin EMAP
SAENG Quick Scans
Terry Dill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Insane Poster

I believe that the issue is almost resolved. The drive belt unit indeed was a bit too close to the final drive case. Some rubbing occurred and some metal flakes got between the spline unit and the rubber seal. I've put in a bronze bushing on the drive shaft preventing the contact. I have put it together to confirm fit and took it apart to await the replacement seal. Once it does I believe it should take only minutes to replace. I'm 99.9 % certain I can do everything from the right side of the final drive. As with all my dealings with Richard and Bob at Trinity Trike, they have been very supportive to me. I love that my trike was among the first done, but to be at the beginning, I've discovered things that allowed Trinity to make improvements on all the kits. I would not trade my Burgman 650 or the Trinity Trike for anything. Well, maybe the new Spyder RT, but that's about $25K.

Terry from Georgia

Patriot Guard Rider
grip puppies
GPS Garmin
Isuzu back rest
Ikon shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.