Rear Tire Change - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Poster

Default Rear Tire Change

Well, I have all the equipment, including the HF portable tire changer w/motorcycle attachment and MojoBlocks, a MojoLever and a Parnes balancer. I've changed tires from the ones on my old Harley Ultra w/cast wheels to Piaggio MP3's to Triumph spokes, etc; but the rear Bridgestone was, BY FAR, the most difficult tire to install on a rim!

The sidewalls are so rigid that I couldn't force the lip into the center channel of the rim and even though it was snugged down tight in the tire changer, the rim kept turning against the strain of the MojoLever. Finally, I used my hot air gun to warm the tire, used a ton of tire lubricant and the tire went on. HURRAY!!! And there isn't as much as a scratch on the wheel

I noticed that the factory didn't bother balancing the rear wheel; but I took the time to do it, and the results were a much smoother ride at freeway speeds. I think that balancing the wheel and running 41 psi in the rear will probably result in improved tire wear. By the way, I got 11,200 miles out of the original rear tire, and I always kept it at 41 psi.
'08 Suzuki Burgman Exec Blk (His)
'07 Piaggio MP3 Blk (Sold)
'03 Aprilia Atlantic 500 Red (Sold)
'07 Piaggio MP3 Red (Sold)
CaptJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2004 Burgman 650
Default Re: Rear Tire Change

I did mine about a month ago by hand and it was by far the most challenging tire I have ever mounted.

The difficulty arises from the very stiff bead and the rather small circumference. I lack the raw hand power to hold the bead down by hand so I had to resort to two 6 inch c-clamps to keep the bead from seating while trying to get it onto the rim... lubrication, lots of it, is definitely a primary element in getting this job done successfully.

It took me 4 tries before I could declare victory over the tire... The heat gun trick is a good one ....

I will be putting out a DIY video soon for those that may be interested in doing this themselves.

I always balance the wheel by iteself and then again with the tire on. My front tire required no weights but the rear needed about 14 grams to balance out...
LeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Poster

I was surprised that the factory didn't deem it necessary to balance the rear wheel, but I noticed a much smoother ride after doing so. Like you, I balance the rim before mounting the tire to find the exact heavy point to put the reference dot on the new tire. With the "pressure minder" valve cap, the valve stem was definitely the heavy point.

Warming the tire definitely made the job easier, along with tons of NoMar lube. I'm also going to get the "Yellow Thing":

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/10 and or the "XtraHand":

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/8

I think those devices could make the job one heck of a lot easier...
'08 Suzuki Burgman Exec Blk (His)
'07 Piaggio MP3 Blk (Sold)
'03 Aprilia Atlantic 500 Red (Sold)
'07 Piaggio MP3 Red (Sold)
CaptJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Insane Poster

I have similar device and it did not help. I gave up and went to the dealer. That tire is THE WORST!!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ken
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2003 Blue 650

I had similar problems installing my Michelin on the rear. This job is not an easy one and probably the most difficult cycle tire I have ever changed. I am not looking forward to the next change.

Blue 2003 Burgman 650
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2004 Burgman 650

the Nomar products are nice, but way over priced for what they do... c-clamps work just as well and do the same exact thing at a fraction of the price, I have 3 big 6" ones and a dozen or so smaller one in all sizes, 1,2,3,4 inches... I use clamp pads to keep the rim from being scratched or just use some left over pieces of leather or thick plastic.

HF c-clamp products

I usually leave my tire out in the sun for a few hours prior to mounting it but that didn't help too much with the rear tire for the 650, the bead is just too stiff, clamping it down with lots and lots of lube finally did the trick for me...

I mounted the tire the old fashion way with 3 tire irons. I may make a jig for the next tire change to keep the wheel in place and the tire pushed forward into the wheel cavity.

Just don't use too much force as you could end up damaging / bending the rim or removing chunks of rubber from the bead...

Of course it took half a dozen tries to just break the bead on the old tire, again, lots of repeaed lubrication did the trick.
LeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Location: Illinois, Morton ***TRAVEL STOP - Trailer Available***

I just returned from the Dealer, not Stealer this time with a new Michelin Pilot Sport SC on the rear of the Burger King...Bought the tire at Motorcycle Superstore ($111 delivered)...lashed it onto the back seat...and the Dealer only charged 1/2 hour labor to Remove, Balance and Replace on the bike...$32.50 labor As long as the dealer keeps this pricing, I'm not interested in learning how to change a tire I should be good for another year now

Had a similar pricing experience on my Goldwing a few weeks back...Times are slow I guess

Have a few more miles left to scrub it in, but it sure was nice to have a "round" rear again instead of the square slick

BTW the front Stone has 11,500 on it and has tons of tread left...I guess paying attention to tire pressure does make a difference

Bill

***TRAVEL STOP - Trailer***

Motorcycle riding is a dangerous hobby for many. It becomes a sport when one learns to master their ride.

Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints
malahy1501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ken
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2003 Blue 650

With that kind of pricing, I could easily forget how to change the rear tire. The local dealer (stealer) here wanted $100 labor to do what you had done.

Blue 2003 Burgman 650
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Poster

I agree the rear tire is more difficult than some but not all that bad. I did mine in very warm weather using glass cleaner for lubricant (best thing I had). Using my knees to keep the one side pushed in I needed a 2 foot bar to get the final pop onto the rim. I used a crow bar wrapped with duct tape along with homemade rim protectors (old milk container) but now own several HF long tire irons for the next time.
kwalters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.