650 okay for a long roadtrip ? - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 650 okay for a long roadtrip ?

Hello All - I bought my Burgman 650 early last summer. Since then I've been on my dresser ('92 Venture Royale. Any old Venturers? Chuckler,here) about five times. I really, really like my scooter. I'm 52 and started ridng when I was about seven or eight.

To the point: I'm taking a road trip from Indiana, Pa to Indianapolis (to the GP race, Yeesss!) in August.

Is there any reason why I can't ride my Burgman out on I-70 and crank along with the Goldwings and FJRs out to Indy? Frankly, I have more fun on the scooter than I do on my big bike.

Do the smaller scooter tires heat up running hard and long?

Will I hurt anything running long distance at interstate speeds?

Short of buying a new seat, is there anything I can do to make the butt pumishment a little less. This is the only reason I would consider taking the big bike. Any tricks?

I'll appreciate any feedback.
jbeersjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 07 650 Executive and 06 400S
Default Re: 650 okay for a long roadtrip ?

I've been on rides of over 2,000 miles and regularly ride 300 to 400 miles in a day with no issues on my 650.

You can run it at 70 or 75 or even more all day long.

The tires don't heat up any more than on other motorcycles.

Bead Riders, sheepskins, Airhawks and other type pads have been used by various folks to improve endurance and comfort.
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP
My Gallery
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Poster

It's only 418 miles.
Leave at dawn and be there by 1:00 PM, in time for lunch.

Seriously, our 650's will cruise all day, day after day, at 80 MPH.

Glenn Beck is the Anti-Christ
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot
It's only 418 miles.
For that matter, the 400 can handle it too - I've been on 500+ mile sojourns on mine, clocking 70+ (indicated) mph much of the way - no problems...
2009 Yamaha FZ6R (TRADED!)
2008 Black Burgman 650 - Hubby's ride (yay!)
***TRAVEL STOP***
Ride safe, have fun... they're not mutually exclusive!
bikinbiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 02:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

You didn't buy a toy! You bought a 638cc motorcycle that's shaped like a scooter. Go ride!

I did a SaddleSore 1000 earlier this summer. Rode from Columbus, OH to Atlanta, GA and back inside of 24 hours. That was about 1,136 miles. My Burgie LIKES climbing Tennessee hills!

Took the Burgie from Columbus to Tionesta, PA for a family trip a couple weeks ago. Family rode in the car. Loved that trip!

Just rolled over 10,000 miles (bought new in January). Could use a better (taller) windscreen, a throttle lock like a Vista Cruise, and maybe a sheepskin if I were going to do 1,000's of miles at a time.

Enjoy your short trip across Ohio. It's flat and boring, but the Burgie makes it fun!

Iron Butt Association #37830
2009 Burgman 650 Executive - Repo'd Fall of 2010 - Great while it lasted!
Maybe 2014 will be good to me?
MyWifeSaidYes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 02:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Bike Type: 2008 Gold Burgman 650, Broke 03 AN650

Take a peek at the map on the post above this. That most top-left state is my home. I rode in one day to the third state to the right, Montana. Then I turned south and went to New Mexico. Then right agian to Kalafornia. Then Right to back home. All in one week. Go for it. DaveJ

TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

80,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

Current GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14
Prior Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
Dave_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
d0n
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot
It's only 418 miles.

418 miles isn't exactly a long roadtrip.
Currently own 2005 Burgman 650, 1987 Honda Elite 150 & 1988 Honda ZB 50. Previous scooters owned... 1986 Honda Helix, 1997 Honda Helix, two1986 Honda 250 Elites, 1985 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Honda Ruckus 50, 1998 Italjet Formula 50 air, 1981 Honda 70 Passport, 1986 Honda 50cc Gyro trike and more.
d0n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2004 Burgman 650

One of the first things I did after getting my burgman was taking it on a long trip and putting through its paces as a viable long distance light tourer, you can read my impressions here: 4000 miles road trip
LeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Insane Poster

As far as being comfortable on long rides in the stock seat, do the Hokey Pokey.

Move your whole self forward,
Move your whole self back,
Lift your whole self up,
Put both feet forward,
Put both feet back,
Put most of your weight on your right "cheek",
Put most of your weight on your left "cheek".
Repeat as necessary.

One other tip I've been using for 40 years.
On long trips, go commando.
If you get wet either through rain or perspiration, your underwear will never dry out, causing the dreaded "Monkey Butt".
Also try to remove any wrinkles in your pants that you may be sitting on.
If you can't bring yourself to go Commando, do what Wes used to suggest, wear a spandex type of garment under your pants.
Friction, dampness, and fabric wrinkles are a long distance tourers demise.

Glenn Beck is the Anti-Christ
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just finished 2700 miles with me on my 650 and my wife on her 400 this past week. We got home last night, and the only modifications we made through the trip were to add some "bungee cord throttle locks" by purchasing some tiny 10" bungee cords and wrapping them around the throttle next to the throttle cable body. It kept the throttle spring from returning the throttle, so we could dial in our throttle setting and it would stay, just like the "O" rings but easy to take on and off or adjust while riding. Kept us very fresh since we didn't have to keep the throttle twisted all the time, and it was fun because whenever we would start from a standstill we could crank up the juice and wait to see what speed the scooters finally settled at. We could even vary our positions on the bikes to change the aerodynamics. (and mileage) On a road where you can see the next town 50 miles away you need something to do for "fun".

On the interstates we ran around 75-80 and on the back roads 70. We ate up a lot of miles and wished the tanks were bigger so we didn't have to worry so much about gas. Out west you often find the towns to be 100 miles apart so you don't want to skip one. At 80mph with a 20 mph headwind the burgmen were very thirsty. Only one time did the 650 dramatically outperform the 400 and that was while climbing the back of Sandia Peak. While on the switchbacks at 9-10,000 ft. the 650 could scream from corner to corner compared to the sluggish 400. In Power mode the 650 could keep the RPMs up and leave the 400 for dead. My wife was wide open throttle the whole way up, but was able to easily coast down the whole way while I played with the finicky engine braking.

Although we only did a couple of 500 mile days we could have gone longer, but it was a vacation after all...

Both are competent touring vehicles... even if they are meant for commuting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.