Primary Spline Failures - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Primary Spline Failures

I draw all AN650 owners to my "worn out" primary spline at 37,000 km (approx 22,000 miles). There is dioalogue at the Burgman 650 section under CVT belt reliability on this site which you may like to read. The diesel noise may just be the death throes of an imminent failure. I have left an email message at the Australian Suzuki site but after 38 hours have not received any reply. I plan to make verbal contact tomorrow Friday 13 and ask for a commiement for assistance or denial. There are 4 primary pulley assemblies in Aus at the moment. I plan to get hold of one and fit it, to get my scoot on the road again (my labour). If I don't get what I consider reasonable assistance from Suzuki Australia, I plan to write a full report and send it to motorcycle magazines in Australia (and to this site), fix, then sell the Burgie and probably buy a Silverwing. I am an experienced tech writer, engineer and magazine editor, so I have the tools and contacts. I will send a step-by-step report with photos of my repairs for you all to read. Someone needs to stand up and demand compensation, for what I perceive to be a problem in engine design or assembly, otherwise, your scoots resale value may be severely reduced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Primary Spline Failures

Pics of my AN650' s primary shaft adapter and what's left of the primary shaft spline (input to CVT) at approx 37,000 km are a bit scary. Note the dryness of the cavity for the adaptor and that of the adapter (unwashed) - looks like it may have been assembled dry to me (no Suzuki Super Grease A as per the Service Manual, Page 5-24).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AN650 primary shaft at 37000 km, spline gone.JPG (97.8 KB, 11666 views)
File Type: jpg Adapter at 37000 km.JPG (63.1 KB, 11653 views)
Old 03-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Bike Type: 06 650 Executive

The "Dieseling noise" is a well known and documented fact since day one on the 650, especially on the k3 models.
There were a handful of reports early on of some failures and Suzuki redesigned the part and started replacing it in mid year o4.
All 650's o5 and up have the newer part and are considerably quieter but still make some dieseling noise at idle. There is a noticeable difference in sound between my K6 Exec and my F.I.L.'s standard K3. Since the redesign there have not been any reported problems that I am aware of.
Here is an excellent link showing the offending part and it's replacement. Click on the various diagrams to enlarge and see more detail.
http://translate.google.com/translate?c ... pair=fr|en
[attachment=2:as6epi0g]an650-schema_001_small.jpg[/attachment:as6epi0g][attachment=1:as6epi0g]an650_schema_002_small.png[/attachment:as6epi0g]
[attachment=0:as6epi0g]diff_btw_k4k5.gif[/attachment:as6epi0g]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg an650-schema_001_small.jpg (18.4 KB, 15795 views)
File Type: png an650_schema_002_small.png (42.2 KB, 15777 views)
File Type: gif diff_btw_k4k5.gif (37.8 KB, 11712 views)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jim
Super Moderator

Sounds like the same problem as in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34130&p=318184
around Newcastle in Oz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgermann
You may need a stiff drink if you find all those powdered dusty spline particles (Burgman Rattle Powder) under the 2-screw secured cover plate - like I did.
From above link to Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazza
The stripped spline is actually on the primary driven gear which engages with the Primary pulley shaft adaptor (this is the source of the famous Dieseling noise). This spline is non lubricated so will develop some redish oxide on the contact surfaces. The adaptor (a small "cog") is secured to the transmission with a bolt which may have come loose allowing excessive play in the mating splines. Any water entering via the dust cover can not however get into the crankcase but would get into the transmission but again I feel the cover would have to be immersed in water for this to happen. Even so I think I'll run a bit of silicone sealer around my cover...just in case.
Bazza
PS, interested to hear how muchee costee.

Here is one of the Most usefull links on the subject from one of our members Pirmil(Thanks again). It is translated from French
http://translate.google.com/translate?c ... pair=fr|en
Old 03-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Bike Type: 2008 Gold Burgman 650, Broke 03 AN650

Thanks all for starting a new post and adding photos to it. I would say this should be made into a sticky for a time.

Now, is it as easy as popping that cover off, pull the 03/04 gear out and replacing the whole unit and cover with a 05/up unit, bolt and cover?????? If so, lets do it. DaveJ

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

50,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

Current Federal Formosa F2 155/65 HR 14
Prior Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
Dave_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J

Now, is it as easy as popping that cover off, pull the 03/04 gear out and replacing the whole unit and cover with a 05/up unit, bolt and cover?????? If so, lets do it. DaveJ

I am just wondering what other or additional mods were also done at the same time to work with the shaft adaptor.

AirHawk Medium
Alaskan Leather sheep skins
BrakeAway Cruise control
Grip Puppies
Jac Vinson Backrest
Givi Windscreen
Givi Maxia 52 with lights
Nelson-Riggs CL-850 saddle bags
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Poster

Just need to know is this a situation that me being slightly above average in the mechanical appitude dept. can get to that spline and regrease it with honda moly grease? thanks J
Givi 52 top box
stebel air horn
comagination visipath headlight modulator
Garmin Quest 2 GPS on RAM mount
birddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't throw away the old adapter. I intend to use mine as a shaft holder when I eventually fit the new primary assembly and need to torque up the adapter bolt. I hope that a modified 3/8" socket extension bar (passed thru the ald adapter) should be adequate to apply 46.5 ft-lbs to the adapter securung bolt (page 5-24), following application of Locktite Super 1360 to the thread and a generous glop of Moly grease to internal and external spline. Sounds like a good previous hint for the selastic-on-cover trick.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

I am going throught the same issue now. I was told today by the service manager that the Suzuki Super Grease A is a redish rust color. First time the service manager had seen this grease. I had this oily rust color dripping out of the bottom of the tranmission a few weeks before my spline froze on the primary pulley shaft. The drops were the size of a pencil head. The service manager made the comment today that it had to get hotter than **** to start dripping like it did.

I have written a letter to Mr. Mac Kato president of American Suzuki Motorcycles in Brea Calif. I mailed this on Monday 3/9/09. I also have contacted and filed a complaint with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The reason I wrote the letter personally is on 20/20 last week they had an interview with a gentleman who said this is the best way to get results from major corporations when a customer is dissastified.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Bike Type: 2008 Gold Burgman 650, Broke 03 AN650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgermann
Don't throw away the old adapter. I intend to use mine as a shaft holder when I eventually fit the new primary assembly and need to torque up the adapter bolt. I hope that a modified 3/8" socket extension bar (passed thru the ald adapter) should be adequate to apply 46.5 ft-lbs to the adapter securung bolt (page 5-24), following application of Locktite Super 1360 to the thread and a generous glop of Moly grease to internal and external spline. Sounds like a good previous hint for the selastic-on-cover trick.
Burgermann, I have to ask, can this adapter be removed with the CVT still in place? Or does it need to come out for this repair? DaveJ

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

50,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

Current Federal Formosa F2 155/65 HR 14
Prior Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
Dave_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.