are 03 650's problematic? - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default are 03 650's problematic?

Curious to know if there are a lot of problems with the 03? Found one for sale in my area with only 3200 miles on it and appears to be in close to new condition cosmetically. I really don't have a lot of money and time to pour into repairs. The seller is asking for $4500 and I'm sure it's negotiable but, if I have to spend a couple of K's to get it right I'll wait for a new 09 and suffer the rest of the summer without one. Any input and opinions will be appreciated and respected. I want to be out on a Burg soooo baaad, but not at any cost.
QWK C5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ken
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2003 Blue 650
Default Re: are 03 650's problematic?

I don't know that they are problematic any more or less than the newer ones. $4500 may be a little steep although there is increased demand for all scoots. The seller will probably have trouble getting $45. Very low miles and good cosmetics along with good maintenance history will make the price higher. How are tires and battery and add on accessories? $35 to 38 may be more in line with what they were 5 or 6 months ago but all things are changing with our economy and the cost of energy. Shorter story, I have an 03 for past 1 1/2 years and other than normal maintenance, no problems. I really like the 650 and have no regreets for the purchase.

Blue 2003 Burgman 650
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Bike Type: 06 650 Executive

Some of the earlier K3's had some problems with front wheel bearings and an ignition switch recall, other then that they have been trouble free. Wheel bearing replacements if needed are only about $15 and the vin # can be used to check if the recall was done and is a no charge item by Suzuki. My FIL bought a used K3 about a year ago and has had no problems with it. It was in good shape and test drove fine. We got a good deal on it for $3,700. We changed all the fluids as soon as we got it and have done nothing else to it since except routine maint. We just came back from a 1,000 mile round trip to the mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway and it performed flawlessly.

Not sure about your area but retail is $4,500 in my area. Go to KBB.com and plug in your Zip code for retail in your area.

If it has been well maintained, has no issues with dry rot of the rubber parts and tires and test drives good then you should be okay.
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Bike Type: 2008 Gold Burgman 650, Broke 03 AN650

I have a 03. Bought it with 12K miles, now have about 38K miles. I had a problem with front wheel bearings twice. I replaced the first set with cheap Carquest units. Failed in 6,000 miles so I bought the best ones and have over 12,000 on them. The early bearings had a steel shield/seal on only one side. My first replacements had steel seals on both sides @ $4.95. The last ones @ $6.95 each, have rubber seals on both sides, the best without spending big $$$ for these http://championballbearings.com/hybrid.html that cost about $45 each. Just oil, filters, antifreeze, sparkplug, ect... normal maintenance changes like any other equipment I own.

Only thing I would have held out for was the 05 and up have an Overdrive feature, amongst
a few other items like a lieing MPG gage (stops at 50 MPG) and outside air temp gage. But I would not have spent too much more just for them.

Just remember, as with any motorcycle, tires are one of the hugest costs per mile. DaveJ

TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

80,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

Current GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14
Prior Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
Dave_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Go to my Index, where I have a section on the differences between the 2003s and the 2008s. Also, there is a section on Recalls.

http://colchicine.googlepages.com/burgmanpopulartopics

Differences between years

viewtopic.php?p=286373#p286373
viewtopic.php?p=41396#p41396
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=15786

2003-2004 Ignition Switch

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9179
viewtopic.php?p=87147#p87147
viewtopic.php?p=69760#p69760
viewtopic.php?p=77165#p77165
viewtopic.php?p=89567#p89567

Hampton Roads Scooter Group

Learn more in the Burgman Knowledge Base

Why Burgman? Because the world doesn't need yet another software engineer
playing make-believe outlaw, riding a Harley in a pirate costume. -larrysb
Colchicine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2004 Burgman 650

The only chronic problem that I recall reading about on a regular basis were the wheel bearings, other than that it is as good a model year as any other. The 03/04s were a bit chattier, as far as that dieseling noise goes, than 05+ model years.

If you can get it for a good price, go for it, just be sure to change all the fluids before putting a lot of miles on it, I would do everything,

Engine, transmission, final gear, coolant, front/rear brake fluids. Lube everything and you should be good to go.
LeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Poster

I bought a 03 650 used last year with 16,000 miles. I love it. I'll replace the wheel bearings before my big trip next month just for added insurance. I would buy another one of the same year in a heart beat. It is somewhat noisy at idle and low speed but you'll get used to it and it doesn't affect reliability, at least so far. If you get it, you can trade up to a newer one in a year or two. If the price of fuel is and dollar drop in value stays with us, the resale value of it shouldn't drop much.
chessie650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Looking through the service records on mine (2003 model & previous owner kept meticulous records). Only problems it's had were the front wheel bearings and the recall work. It's probably good to go. I anticipate having to replace the battery soon though. 5 years is about the most you can expect out of a battery. And ditto to the advice to replace all fluids...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Poster

I had an 03 before I bought the 07 and didn't have one problem with it. I replaced the wheel bearings when changing tires just because but the old ones were fine. In my opnion it was just as good as the 07. I just happened on a deal on an 07 and took it.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ken
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2003 Blue 650

I replaced all wheel bearings in mine at 7K miles because so many did have a problem with them. When I removed mine, they were still good but only sealed on one side. I cleaned and greased the old ones, put them in a baggie and stored them in the glove box in case I was on the road and needed one in an emergency. If memory is correct, front and rear bearings with seals was about $30 for the good ones. I consider bearing check or replacement at tire change time to be normal and routine maintenance.

On a 650 with 28K, I'd bet that they have probably been changed already.

Blue 2003 Burgman 650
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.