New to riding and 650 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
A&D

New to riding and 650

Great Forum!!

I just purchased (2 days ago) a 2017 Burg 650. I liked everything about it. During showroom view and a quick ride, I didn't know that I would have a difficult time balancing the bike on a complete stop. I am a male 53 and weight is about 165. I have had some leg and feet surgeries and I am thinking this bike is just to heavy for me. What do you experts think?

I am also a bike rider (pedals) and have been riding for years. I have noticed that I ride the Burgman with my hands holding the front and rear break. In several occasions, I have pressed the front break and didn't release the throttle and the bike went flying. Luckily nothing happened.

The two issues above has now made me fear the bike so much that I have not taken it out of my garage due to the above and that there is a steep up/down hill coming in/out of the the garage.

After 2 days, I am now considering it has been the worst $$ decision I've made. Any suggestions you have?

D&A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
D&A, this is a tough decision, keep it or take a loss and let it go. The 650 is a heavy bike but the weight is down lower than most bikes. Long legs do help, I have a 30 inch inseam so I too struggle a bit.

On the brakes, it is a learning curve. You will need to learn to just lightly squeeze the rear (LEFT) brake when coming to a stop. Balancing the throttle and rear brake you can over come most problems of hills and slow corners. But squeezing the right lever while letting go of the throttle will come as second nature with time.

You need to just think of the throttle as a rheostat that controls an electric motor and the rear brake as a fine tuning device to that rheostat. So you can have a bit throttle on and trail the rear brake a bit at slow speed cornering.

The front brake is most of your braking force but you will learn real fast that grabbing a bunch too soon or hard will upset the bike so again, smooth transition is a must.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 09:12 PM

Welcome to the forum.. I am a new (relatively) owner, purchased my 16 burgie in January. I understand exactly what you experienced with the throttle and no clutch to release. The first time I rode mine to work, I was backing into a parking spot when my right hand gunned the throttle causing me to nearly strike a 3' wall and a 100+ foot drop that was located about 15 feet in front of me. I learned quickly to always remove my palm from the throttle while braking, and I always kill the power before I attempt any backing. It may take a little practice, but muscle memory has taken over and I do it without thinking about it.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:18 PM
Super Poster

Take a riding course where you can learn on a smaller bike. There is no substitute for rider education. Also, find an empty parking lot to practice in. Then practice....a lot. There is more to it than riding a bicycle. Oh, and don't give up. Watch all the MC Safety vids on Utube.
You own a fantastic ride that you will soon enjoy greatly. Hang in there and stay in touch with the peeps that care.....Us.

BTW, I'm 64 and broke my leg last June. I put 9000 mi on my B650 since Oct.
pigdogx and shark88 like this.

Common sense, the least common of the senses.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Super Poster

Welcome! I am glad to hear you made the jump. I echo Sandpike's advice, take a riders corse, and find a big empty parking lot and practice. Don't beat yourself up if you wind up dropping it. These are all things I did when I returned to riding. Have fun on both this board and on your scoot.

PS invest is some riding gear.
Alexis Rodriguez likes this.

"Don't remind me of my failures I have not forgotten them" J. Browne
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Turbo Poster

Take your time you'll get the hang of it friend. The first time I test rode a 650 ... I bought a 400😄

Now I have 650 also. When I first got it ... it was intimidating... just took my time and was very cautious parking, backing and so on.

Just a matter of getting comfortable and that will just take a little time, and practice, and patience.

Now, after many many miles The 650 feels as light as a feather.

Good advice above here from other posters.

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:46 AM

You don't mention how tall you are. If you can put both feet down at a stop... and you are centered....you are good to go and won't drop the bike. The heavier... the more stable the bike is.
I do agree ...if you are a new rider, you would greatly benefit from taking a motorcycle riders course.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Super Poster

take a course where they supply smaller bikes and then after passing that take your burgman to a flat and empty parking lot and give yourself 90 minutes of simple stop and start and parking training and I think you be over it. Wonder what your height and inseam are? Not sure with the 400 and the 200 why you bought the 650 to begin with.

Don't be hasty and I think you'll really grow to love your 650

hbr1 09 Burgman 650 in white
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Insane Poster

congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the 650 family.

the 650 pretty much weighs in at close to 600 lbs with a full trunk which it bears very well at speed

it is also easy to handle at low speed or at a stand still, as long as you can flat foot it

I wouldn't give up on the scoot just yet.

you will get the hang of operating the different brakes and throttle in time, always a good idea to close the throttle
prior to reaching for the brake levers. As a bicycle rider you will have to make a bit of adjustment since the levers
are reversed, rear is on the left and front is on the right, you will make the adjustment after a few rides.

if you can flat foot the scoot, reach the ground without tip toeing, you should be fine. when you come to a stop
and are ready to get off the scoot, put down the side stand which will shut off the engine, lean the scoot and let
it settle on the side stand and until it is steady. Get off the scoot, hold the rear brake and then push down on the
center stand and pull back on the passenger handlebar to put it on the center stand.

if you have serious stability issues with your foot/leg, you may struggle a bit.

The 650 is a great ride, give it a bit more time until you have had enough time to get to know it, can always sell it
at a later point.

best wishes.

ps: if you have a limited riding background, an MSF class may come in handy, they will teach you all the basics.
Dave_J likes this.

Happy Riding . . . . .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LeDude .... . . . . . .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by LeDude; 05-07-2017 at 12:57 PM.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Insane Poster

A&D, Welcome to BurgmanUSA from Sunny Tampa Bay Florida USA.
If you haven't already done so, please fill out your User profile in the Control Panel and tell us about your bike, location, etc.

Addressing your problem, You give no indication of where you are at and nothing about your motorcycle training and riding experience. From what you have said, you sound like you have little to no motorcycle experience. You sound very "Green" to me. You definitely need training and lots of practice. These things are called scooters, but they are indeed motorcycles and you can get in serious trouble quick if you are not a trained and experienced rider. These are not toys, but are indeed serious rides. Not knowing if you have owned or rode motorcycles before, but going by how you feel about your lack of being able to handle the 650, it sounds to me like you bought too big of a scooter to start with. I started with a 400, and that is what you probably should have done too. I don't know what prompted you to buy a 650 to start with. The 400 is a very capable bike, able to go almost 100 mph. and able to effortlessly cruise coast to coast across the country, even riding Two Up all the way.
Since you just bought this brand new 650 a few days ago, I'm not sure how you would handle it, but I would say to try to figure out a way to step down to a 400. I don't know if you financed this 650 or what, but I'd go talk to the dealer to see if he can make you a deal, but for sure it will cost you. Better to get out of it as soon as you can. Moral of the story is to do your research BEFORE you buy, and to know your own capabilities and limitations.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 05-07-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.