Highway mileage not too good/in town GREAT - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Highway mileage not too good/in town GREAT

First, I used to have a K9 400 that got around 58 - 62 MPG regardless of in town, highway or a combo.

Second, I picked up a new 2016 650 last February (two months ago tomorrow). I'm hitting the upper 40s/lower 50s in terms of MPG on the freeway - doing about 60 - 65 indicated. Same fuel/same stations/same 5% ethanol.

Third, here's where I'm confused, as is the servicing dealership. I can go around town and get upper 50s/lower 60s - the same as my old 400 but with more power and comfort.

So, what's up with that? Since this is my get me to work bike, I need the better mileage on the freeway in steady flowing traffic. Can anyone explain to me why the 10 - 15% difference in highway mileage (lower over city traffic) and what I can do about it? This makes absolutely no sense to me. I can't recall having a bike or another vehicle behaving this way.

Thanks,

Bruce

Iím not afraid to go fast Ė itís the crashing and burning that scares me.

Actually, I'm too cheap to go too fast. Have you seen the price of gas lately?

It's SO time for another long road trip!!! - like THAT'S ever going to happen now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:36 PM
MJR
Insane Poster

Sounds about normal for the 650. On the freeway the best mileage I get is around 70-75 mph around low 50's. The bike also seems to like twisty mountain roads economy wise. Just the nature of the beast. I've heard good things about the Honda NC based 700cc bikes for fuel economy.

'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650, Yoshi Carbon/Stainless Exhaust, Bazzaz Z-Scoot Fuel Control
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 rebuilt/upgraded CVT
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 another parts bike or project, CVT int failure
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 body damaged, stripped down/rebuilding back up on hold
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT with Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike, failed CVT splines/brg

www.gotgroceries.net
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:48 PM
Insane Poster

It's not clear to me why you would expect high-speed freeway mileage to be as good as low-speed city mileage.

Try riding 55 mph on the highway and see what kind of mileage you get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

I beg to respectfully disagree on a few points . . .

Let's see - I believe I stated that I'm doing about 60 - 65 mph indicated on the highway, not 70/75 as someone else has said. Therefore, I do not believe that 60 - 65 mph indicated classifies as high speed.

Therefore, I gently and respectfully disagree with the statement about my "high speed" driving. Besides, there's still about a 10% error on these speedometers. Therefore, I'm actually doing less that 60 mph (at 65 indicated) so if I did as I believe you are suggesting, I would be doing less than 50 mph in real life. That's at least 15 under the legal speed limit, even more under the reality speed limit.

Hmmm, so, anyone else have any ideas?

It's SO time for another long road trip!!! - like THAT'S ever going to happen now.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:14 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytech View Post
Let's see - I believe I stated that I'm doing about 60 - 65 mph indicated on the highway, not 70/75 as someone else has said. Therefore, I do not believe that 60 - 65 mph indicated classifies as high speed.

Therefore, I gently and respectfully disagree with the statement about my "high speed" driving. Besides, there's still about a 10% error on these speedometers. Therefore, I'm actually doing less that 60 mph (at 65 indicated) so if I did as I believe you are suggesting, I would be doing less than 50 mph in real life. That's at least 15 under the legal speed limit, even more under the reality speed limit.
How fast are you going in town? Are you routinely going 65 in town everywhere you go in town? If not, then your highway driving IS high speed, relative to your in-town driving.

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:41 PM
MJR
Insane Poster

If you want to see the mpg on all my bikes it's here. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gotgroceries1 Not sure exactly what your looking for. If I told you it was due to the much heavier weight, larger frontal surface area, wind resistance, and programming of the ECU/CVT controller what would you do? There is no magic bullet to get great fuel mileage from them that i know of. My Kymco MyRoad 700i is worse than my Burgmans in the way I normally ride. The Burgman 650 is not the best choice for high fuel economy though they are better than my truck or Jeep and I like them very much.

'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650, Yoshi Carbon/Stainless Exhaust, Bazzaz Z-Scoot Fuel Control
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 rebuilt/upgraded CVT
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 another parts bike or project, CVT int failure
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 body damaged, stripped down/rebuilding back up on hold
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT with Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike, failed CVT splines/brg

www.gotgroceries.net

Last edited by MJR; 04-16-2017 at 11:37 PM.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

I knew the mpg wouldn't quite touch my former ride (400), but at least my highway mileage didn't just fall by the wayside like it does on this bike.

Am I a bit disappointed, yes. Am I getting rid of it - nope, nada, no way, etc.

I'm just surprised that the highway mileage is as bad as it is, compared to the in-town driving.

Tomorrow is another day.

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:59 PM

Don't know if this helps, but I found that when I calculate mileage old school, tripometer miles divided by gallons dispensed to return to full tank, I consistantly am getting better numbers than what the average mileage calculation reads on the bike.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 AM
Insane Poster

The 650 is a thirstier beast. As others said, it doesn't sound unusual.

If speed seems to be having an exaggerated effect:
Check that the tyre pressure is correct and that it isn't on non-standard tyres.
Aerodynamic drag increases rapidly with speed, dangly bits of luggage and clothing that doesn't fit tightly will make things worse.

Check the air filter is clean and the plugs are a good colour
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 AM
Insane Poster

If it's any comfort. The actual fuel economy is better than the built-in gauge says.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.