Speedometer error reports - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Blacktruck
Speedometer error reports

I recently picked up a 17 model 650 and after my first 1K of riding, I'm curious about the accuracy of the speedermeter. So far according to the fuel pumps (which we have to accept as accurate) and the odometer (which seems okay) I am getting just a whisker over 50 MPG. According to what I read this is about a normal figure. The mileage on the bike and corresponding distance to seem to be what I had before on another bike (not verified with GPS) but I am more concerned with the speed. After all of that here is my question. What does everybody else see on the newer models for speedometer error? GPS is on the list of things to get but curious until then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:03 AM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktruck View Post
I recently picked up a 17 model 650 and after my first 1K of riding, I'm curious about the accuracy of the speedermeter. So far according to the fuel pumps (which we have to accept as accurate) and the odometer (which seems okay) I am getting just a whisker over 50 MPG. According to what I read this is about a normal figure. The mileage on the bike and corresponding distance to seem to be what I had before on another bike (not verified with GPS) but I am more concerned with the speed. After all of that here is my question. What does everybody else see on the newer models for speedometer error? GPS is on the list of things to get but curious until then.
1) I don't know about the latest models, such as yours, but I owned a 2007 Exec and now own a 2008 Exec. Both of those, to the nearest tenth of a percent, were/are reading high on the speedometer by 9.2%. This was verified by using GPSs, level and straight highway cruising, attempting to keep the throttle steady (typically at about 70mph -- the higher your steady speed, the easier it is to get accurate readings, i.e., the absolute number sizes in the differences will be larger).

I'm talking without any real knowledge, but I'd be surprised if the newer models were a much better reflection of reality.

2) Speaking of GPSs, if you have a smart phone you can check this now. Lot of free GPS apps. If not, check it when you get your GPS.

3) There's an old thread on speedometer correction that's seen some very recent posts, as well: Speedohealer installed on 2013 B650

You might want to make some time to read through that thread (or others like it).

4) Having daughters in NC and TX (I'm in NY), and having ridden to both, on multiple bikes, I often find myself on boring superslab runs. I have confirmed, by using different GPSs (and on one bike a very carefully configured bicycle computer) that the Interstate mileage markers are dead nuts on, in all the states I've checked.

They make it easy to check odometer accuracy, maybe easier than checking with a GPS (which will have their own tiny inaccuracies, depending on sampling rate, as you go a tiny bit farther in curves than they would note). As long as you pick a mile marker that has not possibly been altered slightly -- e.g., by bridges, on- and off-ramps, come to mind -- and then ride, say, 20, or 30, etc., miles, noting your odo reading at the start and end, you can easily check its accuracy. I've done this several times for nice, even, 100-mile chunks (without pulling off at a rest area, or otherwise interrupting the trip).

5) Hopefully someone with a new model like yours will chime in here, with the exact answer to your question. I don't imagine it will vary much within a given model year, although particular tire brand and changes in tread depth may affect that last tenth of a percent.

Regards,

Bill P.

2008 Exec:

Givi E52; AdMore lights; CustomLED flasher; Clearview; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Running-lights mod; Powerlet socket; MCL RAM covers; G2 Throttle Tamer

2007 Exec [Sold in '12]:

Givi E52; Clearview; MC Cruise; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Stebel air horn; Running-lights mod; Oznium LEDs; Powerlet sockets; MCL RAM cover; SW-Motech riser; Manic Salamander bar ends; Yoshimura exhaust; G2 Throttle Tamer

Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Super Poster

Push it up to 85 and you will get 39mpg and half a quart of oil will migrate from the engine to the transmission. It's amazing!
Dave_J likes this.

Common sense, the least common of the senses.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:09 AM
MJR
Insane Poster

The speedometer and odometer have different inaccuracy percentages, at least they do on my '03. Check them both, I was surprised to find that out. The odometer is more accurate possibly due to some legal reasons. The speedometer may read higher to give the feeling of faster acceleration. But as wspollack said I doubt the newer ones are more acurate.

'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650, Yoshi Carbon/Stainless Exhaust, Bazzaz Z-Scoot Fuel Control
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 rebuilt/upgraded CVT
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 another parts bike or project, CVT int failure
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 body damaged, stripped down/rebuilding back up on hold
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT with Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike, failed CVT splines/brg

www.gotgroceries.net
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:49 PM

I have a 13 and the speedometer is 10% optimistic and the odometer is out too but not as much. Haven't verified odometer against GPS or mile markers, but riding with a buddy who owned a BMW GT650, my tripometer would read a few more miles than his. He has since dumped the BMW and got a 17 Burgman 650 and his speedometer reads the same 10% as mine. Tripometer readings are now the same. His speedometer readings on the BMW were closer to actual, but still optimistic by about 2%.

Another good free smart phone app to check speed and usually easier to read, are the heads up display apps. I use an android app called DigiHUD that has a large digital readout that will display correctly or will display in reverse for heads up in a car.

Ride save, Kev
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:35 PM

I checked mine against two different gps units, both indicate the Burgman is 9-10% high on the speed. So that 110 mph I mentioned in another post is really only about 98. I have not noticed any oil migration from engine to transmission either.

Last edited by Johnny Web; 04-19-2017 at 07:37 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:25 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Web View Post
I checked mine against two different gps units, both indicate the Burgman is 9-10% high on the speed. So that 110 mph I mentioned in another post is really only about 98. I have not noticed any oil migration from engine to transmission either.
And when I was CLOCKED on Lidar at 122 MPH on my 2003 Burgman, I was too Chicken $hit to look at the speedo to see what it was reading.

My 2008's both would get to 115 MPH and did not seem to want to go much faster. This current 2003 has hit 100 MPH maybe 3 times but I do not want to go that fast for some reason. Its been two years-4 days since my last crash.

All my speedos have been between 9 to 10% off and the Odo's were about 3 to 5 % under, confirmed on a 250 mile road trip and the mile markers and google maps saying how far it was.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

Last edited by Dave_J; 04-19-2017 at 08:31 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:21 AM
Insane Poster

This is nonsense that they can't get the speedos right!

With all this electronic stuff that we have nowadays, computers, cell phones, gadgets of all kinds, there is no excuse that these manufacturer's can't make the speedometers to read correctly as they do in out cars! Nonsense!
This is an outrage I tell you!!!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Insane Poster

Vehicle manufacturers have to abide by lots of local and international regulation and law.
(Construction and use regs, whole vehicle type approval etc)

Speedos must not under-read so they are always made to over-read.
Odometers must never over-read so they always made to under-read.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
Vehicle manufacturers have to abide by lots of local and international regulation and law.
(Construction and use regs, whole vehicle type approval etc)

Speedos must not under-read so they are always made to over-read.
Odometers must never over-read so they always made to under-read.
There is no reason that they can't get it right, or at least very close to right. They certainly have the ability to do so.
Cheers!
Dave_J likes this.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.