Speedometer error reports - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
Vehicle manufacturers have to abide by lots of local and international regulation and law.
(Construction and use regs, whole vehicle type approval etc)

Speedos must not under-read so they are always made to over-read.
Odometers must never over-read so they always made to under-read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. View Post
There is no reason that they can't get it right, or at least very close to right. They certainly have the ability to do so.
Cheers!
Under reporting even a little is not acceptable. Over reporting by 1% is acceptable. But OVER reporting by 9-10% is NOT acceptable and should not have been engineered in and like a few other things, are PI$$-Pour engineering.

Its like paying for a quart of ice cream and finding you are getting 9/10's of a quart. "Oh, sorry, we took that 10% from you and combined it with the others we scammed out of 10% and resold it to another sucker".
E.D. likes this.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:53 PM
Turbo Poster

What's Allowed, and What's Common

A few thoughts ...

Allowed Over-Readings:

As @Bluebottle noted, the manufacturers are allowed reading that are too high. You can read about this in a decent Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer . The relevant sections are Error and International Agreements.

The upper limit according to the European Union specs, for our Burgers, seems to be "... 110 percent plus 8 km/h for two- or three-wheeled vehicles that have a maximum speed above 50 km/h ...".

I can see where this has more relevance to chain-driven bikes, where you can easily change the engine/rear-wheel RPM ratios, by changing the front or rear sprockets. Or to bikes where it's easier and more probable to change the rear wheel size that's being used.

In those cases, I can see where the manufacturers have a vested legal interest in making sure that you're not speeding without knowing it. Of course, if you're messing with gear ratios and suchlike, then you're not riding a stock bike, so maybe they're no longer responsible. Maybe it comes down to changes a manufacturer can reasonably forsee that a customer might make.

Actual Readings:

Now, in our particular case, where you can't screw around with gear ratios and the tires are all pretty close in size, I think Suzuki is just taking advantage of the regulations.

That is, I think Suzuki is near the upper limit of allowable readings just to make owners, or test riders, think they're going faster. Put another way, I think this is a subtle marketing ploy ... kind of like ads, where we know that what's being said is mostly BS, but the advertisers are trying to wring out whatever they can in our subconsciousness. Yamaha got sued some years back, for over-reading the upper RPM limit on one sportbike -- just a bragging-rights kind of thing among some riders.

I decided to go through the last half year of Motorcycle Consumer News issues (not a difficult task, because I have the PDF downloads from them) to see what other folks are doing lately.

MCN, when the do a full review of a bike, lists the actual speed when the indicated speed is 65 MPH. (I recall from reading MCN over the years that use a radar gun, but I can't be positive that this is still the case.)

In any event, here are the last half year's worth of bikes, and the actual speed when the indicated speed was 65 [EDIT: I had this backassward in my initial post]:

2017 Triumph Bobber: 63
2017 Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber: 64
2017 KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE GT: 64
2017 HARLEY-DAVIDSON CV0 PRO STREET BREAKOUT: 63
2017 KAWASAKI Z650: 62
2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX21: 63
2017 BMW R NINE T SCRAMBLER: 64
2016 MOTO GUZZI V7 II STORNELLO: 63
2016 HONDA AFRICA TWIN: 64
2017 harley-Davidson Road King (FLHR): 64
2017 Benelli TNT600 Tornado: 58

Only that last one, the Benelli, seems to be in our neighborhood of 9 or 10 percent. So, yeah, Suzuki could take less advantage of the allowable fudge factors, and it would be more in line with other manufacturers (or so it seems to me).
Dave_J and E.D. like this.

Regards,

Bill P.

2008 Exec:

Givi E52; AdMore lights; CustomLED flasher; Clearview; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Running-lights mod; Powerlet socket; MCL RAM covers; G2 Throttle Tamer

2007 Exec [Sold in '12]:

Givi E52; Clearview; MC Cruise; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Stebel air horn; Running-lights mod; Oznium LEDs; Powerlet sockets; MCL RAM cover; SW-Motech riser; Manic Salamander bar ends; Yoshimura exhaust; G2 Throttle Tamer

Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 PM
Super Poster

My Dodge Minivan is very close but my Lexus RX300 is about 8 to 9% off so was my Chrysler TC by Maserati.

"Don't remind me of my failures I have not forgotten them" J. Browne

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Super Poster

My 2013 Burgman's speedo is 10% optimistic, so 80 mph on the speedo is actually 72 mph on the road. Because it's 10% off it makes it very easy to quickly calculate my actual speed. On my Burg the oil level in the transmission actually lowers a bit between oil changes as opposed to what's normally reported, an increase in the oil level.

Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Blacktruck
Wow. I'm a bit surprised by the amount of error reported here. I agree that some bikes would be much easier to change the final drive ratio but these should be pretty much spot on as I would see it. Nothing to ever be changed by the owner as far as the ratio goes. I'm still earning the bike and just off the cuff feeling is that the speedometer does read fast. The odometer seems okay but testing will begin soon to verify this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.