What are the brass nuts on the underside of the handholds ? - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Chatman128
  • 1 Post By wspollack
  • 1 Post By Bluebottle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

What are the brass nuts on the underside of the handholds ?

I just noticed two brass nuts imbedded in the underside of each hand hold on my brand new 2017 650 Executive. Anyone here know what accessory they are for???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Insane Poster

In Jester's Court this gets a very different answer. Here they are for some kind of accessory tie down rings or clips. If you screw some appropriately sized metric bolts (as I did) you can use them as attachment points for your bungee cords when carrying chicken feed and dog food. You need to be a little careful as I believe they are only pressed in or molded into relatively soft plastic. They are pretty easy to rip out.
Dave_J likes this.

Ridin' the IceBurg - 10% transportation, 90% fun!
94K and counting.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Suzuki sells the bolts with steel sleeves. They are for Bunge cord hooks. While they are fine for most things, yes they are embedded in plastic, so do NOT strap a Ford 5.4L on the back after picking it up from Pull-A-Part.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Thanks guys, the hand holds look like aluminum castings. I was surprised something so critical was made out of plastic.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Turbo Poster

Classier Than Suzuki's

From 8+ Years Ago:

If you're interested, this was discussed in a 2008 thread: Wondering about those holes.

It may have been discussed since, but that's the thread where I encountered the topic.

Classier:

If you want to get something much classier looking (and, yes, more expensive) than Suzuki's shiny metal bolts and sleeves, I can recommend Triumph track-stand bobbins. Here's an old pic of my former 2007 Exec, but I did the same thing on the 2008 I acquired last year:

Note that the unseen bolt that comes with these is an M6, and with the Triumph part # A9648003 it must be shortened by about 1/4" (or replaced with a 35mm M6 bolt). This information is from this pic and caption of my gallery -- http://www.billanddot.com/burgman/#47 -- where I also note some suppliers of the product.

Further note that your average, garden-variety, bobbin won't work in those embedded nuts. This Triumph model works because it has that taper at the top, whereas most bobbins have a straight outer body, which precludes their fitting in the rail (at least in front).

When doing multi-day, one-up, trips, I travel with an Aerostitch Medium Motofizz bag that I acquired a decade or so ago: http://www.aerostich.com/medium-moto...-seat-bag.html . We can discuss the merits of different travel bags all day long, but my point here is that the Motofizz has loops embedded in some of the adjustable straps, and the bobbins are perfect for using those loops to secure the bag in place atop the rear seat.

[Edit: one last thing I forgot ... No, I wouldn't try to lift the bike with anything that screwed into those nuts, but I've found them surprisingly rugged. I would not hesitate to lash anything you're carrying onto them.]
Dave_J likes this.

Regards,

Bill P.

2008 Exec:

Givi E52; AdMore lights; CustomLED flasher; Clearview; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Running-lights mod; Powerlet socket; MCL RAM covers; G2 Throttle Tamer

2007 Exec [Sold in '12]:

Givi E52; Clearview; MC Cruise; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Stebel air horn; Running-lights mod; Oznium LEDs; Powerlet sockets; MCL RAM cover; SW-Motech riser; Manic Salamander bar ends; Yoshimura exhaust; G2 Throttle Tamer

Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Super Poster

I have the Suzuki OEM bungee hook anchors on my 2013 Burg. I got them from an ebay seller for something like $20.00 a few years ago, and have yet to use them. This is what they look like.

Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Insane Poster

The 400 has them too.

Plenty strong enough for their intended purpose because the pull is sideways and not in line with the thread/material join.
Anything with a thread that is too long will press out the inserts
Dave_J likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:54 AM

A company in Eastern Europe makes a mounting plate for side cases that use these as the top attachment points. The plate accommodates at least five common Givi sets of cases. I hope these nuts are stronger than some suggest here. I have installed the plates but have no bags yet. Somebody on this site recommended these plates made in Slovenia but I lost the thread. I would sure like confirmation that these brackets and mounting points are strong enough from any who have used them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0704.jpg (92.0 KB, 9 views)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:04 AM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlie Lordi View Post
A company in Eastern Europe makes a mounting plate for side cases that use these as the top attachment points. The plate accommodates at least five common Givi sets of cases. I hope these nuts are stronger than some suggest here. I have installed the plates but have no bags yet. Somebody on this site recommended these plates made in Slovenia but I lost the thread. I would sure like confirmation that these brackets and mounting points are strong enough from any who have used them.
You should be OK with the mount of the plates. The weaker point is where it mounts lower on the body near the rear side reflectors.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:20 PM
Super Poster

I have the Kiwi Dave plates and have my side cases loaded to the hilt, over less than ideal roads, and at high rates of speed. So far so good.

"Don't remind me of my failures I have not forgotten them" J. Browne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.