emergency seat release - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

emergency seat release

15 minutes 4 screws and it was done, no tupperware removed, easy peasy, and convenient

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Blacktruck
Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyMarine View Post
15 minutes 4 screws and it was done, no tupperware removed, easy peasy, and convenient
New Burgman rider here. Please tell me more. Is the regular latch prone to failure or is there another reason to do this? No experience with the Burgman so I am still in the learning curve here.
Thanks.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktruck View Post
New Burgman rider here. Please tell me more. Is the regular latch prone to failure or is there another reason to do this? No experience with the Burgman so I am still in the learning curve here.
Thanks.
No reason in particular to do it. The keyed latch works just fine for many years and there's an emergency way to open the trunk with just a screw driver. Do a search for keys locked in trunk.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Blacktruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamjs View Post
No reason in particular to do it. The keyed latch works just fine for many years and there's an emergency way to open the trunk with just a screw driver. Do a search for keys locked in trunk.
Roger that. I will be looking it over in the coming days to figure out some of this stuff. I appreciate the response.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyMarine View Post
Can you elaborate on the "just four screws and it is done"? And the "no tupper-ware to remove"j?

Let me ride 'til I croak.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:20 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Thanks.
There is always a lot of things to learn, but the most important part of learning is realizing that there is basically two ways to learn,
The EASY WAY or The HARD WAY! The HARD WAY is finding out that you cant open your scooter seat and realize that all your important stuff is under there, Cell Phone, Keys, I-Pad, Money, Wallet, etc.
The EASY WAY is to Plan Ahead and make provisions to be prepared for just such emergencies BEFORE they happen, by having a spare set of keys in your other pocket, spare keys hid on the bike, or maybe an emergency seat release.
One thing about the learning curve, don't let the curve come around and hit you in the back of the head!

Sometimes on older bikes, it has been known for water to get into the release cable and rust the cable so that it wont move. Or sometimes other things happen.
What if you are out on a hike and get back to your bike and find out that you don't have the key because in fell out a hole in your pocket, or fell out when you reached into you pocket to pull out a rag/handkerchef, or numerous other reasons. What Then? That spare key in your other pocket or hid on the bike will be worth it's weight in GOLD.
I could go on and on about being prepared for flat tires, and other stuff, but that's another thread on another day!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Quote:
Thanks.
the most common failure is operator error, locking your key in the trunk, although it hasn't happened to me YET I thought it might be a convenient thing in case I locked them in there along with my screwdriver I always carry in my shirt pocket, like say when me and the eskimo woman are out on the lonesome prairee harvesting whale blubber or sumpthin, very rarely a cable fails, or mechanical difficulty prevents normal operation, but, for some reason you don't have the key with you , and want the trunk open and don't have a screwdriver handy, just stick your finger on the cable and pop it open, btw the cable is not visibleunless you know where to look and you don't have to bend over and dig around under anything to do it

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Insane Poster

Seems like it would be a lot more reasonable to carry extra keys than to modify the bike.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

take out the 2 allen screws holding the latch mechanism in place, take out the 2 phillips screws holding the underseat storage bucket in
place at the back, bend down the bucket, pull latch mechanism out , attach lanyard between cable and cable retaining pin, feed lanyard
back thru the retaining bracket for the latch assy, out the side of the bike to the seat bumper area and then out to the grabby doohickey for the pillion rider, while you have the 2 big chunks of seat bumper rubber off , you might want to remove 1/8 or even 1/4 inch off the TOP of the bumpers, it will make the seat so much easier to latch, put latch mechanism back together, put pther 2 screws in and go have a well deserved refreshing beverage while listening to your s/o praise your manly achievements and maybe even your manly uh manliness .
mttandem likes this.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
Seems like it would be a lot more reasonable to carry extra keys than to modify the bike.
I take it that the mechanism has been known to fail so that not even the key will work.
Dave_J, mikeyMarine, E.D. and 1 others like this.

Retired. Finally found something I'm qualified for.

2006 Burgman 650
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.