5Likes
  • 1 Post By raymacke
  • 2 Post By Skunkhome
  • 2 Post By E.D.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Front Tire Installed Backwards

Last fall I replaced the front tire on my K9. The local Yamaha shop is willing to install a car tire I bring in on the rear (some won't) so I always buy my front tire from them. This time they suggested a Michelin City Grip so I went along. Immediately, I found I seriously disliked the tire. First, it was incredibly noisy when going over 50 mph. I mean seriously loud. Next it produced a very healthy oversteer effect when making corners under 40 mph. I thought I would get use to it by I didn't. This spring I pulled the front wheel to check the valves and decided while I had it off I was going to have it replaced - disliked it that much.

I am ashamed to admit it but I really hadn't looked too close at the tire. When I when to load it in the truck I looked at the rotation direction indicator on the tire. I was puzzled - never seen this type of marking before (see Photo). In my experience the ARROW points to the direction of rotation. But on this tire behind the arrow is the word FRONT. Does that mean the arrow should point to the front of the bike? In this case if the arrow and word Front are positioned at the "bottom" of the tire, where the word Front is right side up, the Arrow is pointing to the rear. Obviously, it positioned at the top the arrow would be point correctly but the word would be upside down. WHAT THE *^#%(*!!

Took it back to the shop and they looked at it and weren't sure either which way was correct. I told them to turn it around and lets see what happens.

Much to my surprise - PROBLEMS SOLVED! No more noise or oversteering. I am shocked it made that much difference. And appalled I had not looked closer before!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg City Grip.jpg (149.8 KB, 33 views)
ducati14 likes this.

So many highways,
So little time.........

------------------------------------------
2009 650 Executive
Grip Puppies
Dark Side Ponteza
Speedo Healer
Re-shaped Seat
Clearview Large w/vent
Oznium LED Turn Indicator
RAM Garmin Mount

Last edited by raymacke; 03-21-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:16 AM
Insane Poster

Yep. Some tires are "directional". They need to be installed one way only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 AM
Super Poster

The arrow always points to the direction of rotation. Front refers to the mounting position on the bike. Front tire marked front and rear marked rear. There is no up or down on a rim only right and left.
John Holbrook and E.D. like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:06 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome View Post
The arrow always points to the direction of rotation. Front refers to the mounting position on the bike. Front tire marked front and rear marked rear. There is no up or down on a rim only right and left.
Yes, Quite right Skunk, Indeed on a tire there is no Front or Back or Top or Bottom. The word FRONT means that it goes on the FRONT OF THE BIKE. The arrow does always point in the direction of rotation.

Here is what is not clear, the OP posted the pic of the tire with the arrow. However, I don't know if we are looking at the left side or from thew right side, as mounted on the bike. That would make all the difference.

So my question to the OP is, was the tire first mounted so that the arrow turned in the direction of rotation? Not Front or Rear or Top or Bottom, but in the direction of rotation as the bike moves forward?

At any rate, you got it fixed. so now you learned to keep your perspective in focus.
Cheers!
Dave_J and Skunkhome like this.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1979 Honda CB 750 Silver
1979 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Insane Poster

FWIW - Michelin City Grips have another indicator labeled "Rotation -->" marked periodically around the tire, on the tread surface, right at the junction of the sidewall and the tread surface. You have to look very closely to see it. Oddly enough, it points in the same direction as the arrow you picture on the sidewall. I never noticed the sidewall marker on the front tire but I have noticed it on the rear. Happily the rear tire rotation indicator, sidewall arrow and tire position all point towards/indicate directions that make sense.

Ridin' the IceBurg - 10% transportation, 90% fun!
90K and counting.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:04 AM
Super Poster

If you look at matching set of tires the front tires tread pattern is typically the reverse of the rear when mounted properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.