Road Rash..Big Deal?? - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Road Rash..Big Deal??

I'm considering the purchase of my first scooter. A local gent has a 2012 650 Executive for sale with 3K miles at an attractive price....Mid $4k. Photos show road rash on the left side; some Tupperware and center stand scraping observed...haven't seen it in person yet; don't know the details of how the rash occurred. Seems minor but quite noticeable to my novice eye. Seller says cosmetic only. Is this a big deal or maybe a deal breaker? Need your expert advice. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Insane Poster

bikes is like wimmin, don't marry the first one you see unless, there is dang good reason, there is many a good ride out there, if the photo shows damage, how deep are the scratches, replacing tupperware is prohibitively expensive if it has been weakened, price seems a bit high, and mileage indicates not much riding, maybe not much maintaing was going on, the tires aren't to be trusted if they are originals, and the price indicates the seller must have some sentimental attachment, personally I wouldnt want to deprive him of his memories.

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Super Poster

Garage
If there's no structural damage, count the pieces of plastic where the road rash is present, multiply by $200, add an additional $200 for the labor to replace the plastic, then subtract the sum from the Nada book value. That's how I calculate the effect of road rash, and that's what it costs to get it fixed. You'd be surprised at how quickly the value of a bike goes to zero. If it's just one slide, there are probably 6 pieces of plastic affected, which means about $1400 off the high retail (high retail because of the low miles, otherwise use average retail price). For a 2012 burgie 650, high retail (dealer price) is $5300, so $3900 would be a fair price from a dealer. I wouldn't pay more than $3000, since there may be other damage than the road rash from the crash and it's not from a dealer.

You could get more specific, take your phone along and actually price the plastic from Bike Bandit while looking at it. But $200 a piece is a good estimate- some pieces are $400 and some are $50.
captainfish and Dave_J like this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Turbo Poster

Mechanically there's no reason to worry about a little road rash. It all comes down to what you can live with and the cost. For 4 grand I would want a pristine bike. For 3 grand, whole different story.... All depends on what you want.
captainfish and Dave_J like this.

2004 Burgman 400
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:14 PM
Super Poster

The lower left side tupperware is removed for maintenance purposes (trans oil change) + sparkplug & valve / tappet check.

If there's damage to the lower tupperware fitment tabs (due to the slide / crash) could be a problem re-fitting. But.... you could always replace the rashed up tupperware.

It all comes down to you... If the price is good !

fwiw, My '04 exec was involved in a low speed crash (previous Owner) & tupperware replaced with brand new.

captainfish likes this.

2004 Burgman 650 Exec........... Riding to work, working to ride
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the wisdom and opinions from this great group. I will pass on this road rash scooter. The price is firm to which I say 'good luck.' It seems that advertised prices in craigslist in my area of North Texas are much higher than what members are suggesting one might pay a good used 650.
captainfish likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:05 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarret50 View Post
Thanks for the wisdom and opinions from this great group. I will pass on this road rash scooter. The price is firm to which I say 'good luck.' It seems that advertised prices in craigslist in my area of North Texas are much higher than what members are suggesting one might pay a good used 650.
LOOK ELSEWHERE .

A local guy bought that exact bike in 2012 , he didn't know that the side stand if not all the way engaged can pop back up and the bike falls over . Well it did just that with less that 200 miles on it. Total cost to fix was just under $4,000 for parts and labor . Luckily for him he had insurance , it only cost him the $500.00 deductible . Seeing that I called my insurance company and changed mine to $100.00 deductible , cost per year an extra $75.00 .

TheReaper!

If young men refused to fight and die , old men would be forced to settle their differences peacefully . TheReaper!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 650 Burgman
2008 650 Burgman sold
2006 650 Burgman sold
2005 650 Burgman
2009 T-MAX
2006 Big Ruckus
2005 Big Ruckus
2004 Honda Silverwing 600
2002 Honda Silverwing 600
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:03 AM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
LOOK ELSEWHERE .

A local guy bought that exact bike in 2012 , he didn't know that the side stand if not all the way engaged can pop back up and the bike falls over . Well it did just that with less that 200 miles on it. Total cost to fix was just under $4,000 for parts and labor . Luckily for him he had insurance , it only cost him the $500.00 deductible . Seeing that I called my insurance company and changed mine to $100.00 deductible , cost per year an extra $75.00 .

TheReaper!
I was wondering if an insurance claim had been made on it and, from what you say one has and, the money not put back into actually repairing the bike. If the seller is the same person who collected on it, theoretically he has LOTS of wriggle room on the price. If a person decides to live with the damage and take the cash, he should not expect to sell the bike at or near blue book without full consideration to the damage.
Dave_J likes this.

Darksided AN400 in Lightning Fast White •*GIVI Airflow •Side deflectors • Bestem 929 top case • 19g Dr Pulley Slider Weights • Puppies • Backrest, tunnel bag and top case mods by self

'08 650 • Clearview with vent • Kuryakyn grips • GIVI V46 top case and E21 side cases • McCruise cruise control

Better to have scooted and got lost, than to never have scooted at all.

TRAVEL STOP
Add your Travel Stops, Road/Route Comments and, Recommended Places to the Travel Stops map!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:05 AM
Insane Poster

price in area

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarret50 View Post
blue book values vary by area, but don't include damaged merchandise, I based my too high on the damage.

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Insane Poster

This it ? https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/6017650141.html

TheReaper!

If young men refused to fight and die , old men would be forced to settle their differences peacefully . TheReaper!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 650 Burgman
2008 650 Burgman sold
2006 650 Burgman sold
2005 650 Burgman
2009 T-MAX
2006 Big Ruckus
2005 Big Ruckus
2004 Honda Silverwing 600
2002 Honda Silverwing 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.