Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Milage counter

3K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Skunkhome 
#1 ·
hello any idea how to control the Milage counter as to push it back to be less milage

#2 ·
well I thought that was illegal, butttttttt

Let me ask this, if the MPH is off, wouldn't this count for the miles to be off also? Meaning if it says I am doing 90 mph and really doing say 81, wouldn't I be adding 9 miles per hour to my actual?

#11 ·
On a bike with digital speedos and odometers I say probably. I have had bikes with accurate odometers by the mile markers on the freeway and speedometers 10% slow. My old Voyager XII comes to mind. However, they were analog. A single cable ran both the odometer and speedometer, but there were separate mechanisms which didn't agree.

Digital would (I'm guessing here) use the mph on the speedometer and calculate distance by speed and time. They should agree or be equally inaccurate.

Of course, I'm just guessing.

As far as rolling one back, I agree that would be highly unethical in most cases.

#3 ·
What is your purpose? If it's just to show less mileage on the bike, its illegal to roll back and they make it pretty hard to do so. I'm sure there's an unscrupulous used bike salesman who might know how, but we average amateur mechanics probably don't participate in these practices.

If it's to deal with an incorrect speedo or mph calculation, there are methods to deal with them. Let us know what you want to do.

#4 ·
So you join and as your first post on this enthusiasts forum, you want to know how to defraud someone with a false odometer reading?
The ONLY possible reason for wanting to roll-back an odometer is to sell a vehicle and defraud the purchaser by mis-representation.

I mean, really now...... do you expect any HONEST Burgman owner here to help you?
Count me OUT!!!!

#15 ·
The ONLY possible reason for wanting to roll-back an odometer is to sell a vehicle and defraud the purchaser by mis-representation.
Not quite. There are a couple of more reasons:

• Avoiding having your vehicle considered a "total loss" in an accident. They base the ACV on mileage, among other things. If you just want to get your vehicle FIXED, rather than having it declared a total loss, AND you have a high mileage vehicle, you could deflate the mileage to inflate the value, and avoid the "total loss threshold". In this case, it is still fraud in a sense, but it is not the type you mentioned
  • If you have a mileage-based warranty, you might want to deflate your mileage to get something covered. Still fraud, but not the type you mentioned
  • If your speedo/odo unit is broken, and you buy a used one that shows more mileage than you actually have, you might want to deflate the mileage shown to reflect actual mileage. No fraud here.
So, there ARE other reasons that do not involve defrauding a buyer. I'm not promoting them. I'm just pointing out that they exist.

#5 ·
^^^ I'm with all the above. You just joined and yet you have the nerve to ask us for such a dishonest favor? Most of us here have been here a long time, and from my dealings and conversation with members on here, they seem to be a good law abiding bunch. I myself am a volunteer with the local police department, so I certainly could not support any unlawful activity. So please do not ask or infer any illegal activity.

#7 ·
Yep. Might take a while. You'd have to go 1 million miles, and at 100 miles an hour that would be 416 24-hour days. And at 50 miles a gallon and 2 dollars a gallon, that's only $40,000 worth of gas. Or you could give me the $40,000 and the old bike and I'll get you a nice newer bike with low miles.

#8 ·
No idea the OP's intent. But just playing devils advocate here, I could think of a scenario where the original bike was in an accident and the odometer was replaced and he wanted to make the replacement match original mileage... far fetched maybe, illegal maybe...not necessary..... but it's possible :grin

#13 · (Edited)
I agree. Everyone wants to jump in and beat the **** out of this guy when we really haven't allowed him to clarify what he meant by his very first post.
Give the guy a chance to explain then you can condemn him to the gallows. After this piling on I wouldn't be surprised if we never learn any more.
Wow, how puritanical the software is when you used the work for hades and you get ****. Makes me look like a foul mouth when I'm not. Kinda like late night show bleeping out ordinary words in "unnecessary sensoring"

#9 ·
I know a guy that his Speedo went bad on his bike, so the dealer replaced his instrument cluster with a new one. Not sure how many miles were on it at the time, but it was near a year old. So now he is back to new bike mileage, legally.

#10 ·
lets not jump to contusions here, there might be a reason, give the man a chance to make his case , no need to be suspicious just because you come home to find a man in the house with no pants and wifey is all flustered, she might have been measuring his inseam for new britches , or measuring something else

#12 ·
Hey Mikey, you find that eskimo women doing those sorts of things with polar bears alot?

Yeah, if he got a new speedo, I could see this happening. I had to get a new speedo for my old chevy truck a few decades ago. Back then it was all analog. The miles were off a bunch. So I connected my drill up to it and rolled the miles back.

For those scoots with digital speedo's like the first generation Burgman 650's.. wonder if it is even possible? Or does it pull the readings from another device?

#20 ·
Where is mkadous?

^^^^ I So agree with you! This guy, mkadous joined, came on here and posts only one time, and then disappears? Yeah, I believe the naysayers win too. Where is he? Right now its 52 hours and counting.

#28 ·
Normally when people ask something they know is "usually" not right, they have a reason and list it. When someone has a reason to hide why they are turning back the clock they wont usually have a reason off the top of their head.

Turning back the clock for warranty is wrong, no matter how you look at it. Still stealing, and this does create the warranty cost inflation, just like when people steal. Have to cover the loss, so increase the costs to cover the loss, I believe that was business 101.

#32 ·
meh, we all make quick judgments. It's how do you react when other facts and opinions come in. First blush is to question... then when one has a chance to think, other options or reasons might come to mind. We can still be hesitant, and sometimes keep our guard up, but, then too we are fairly anonymous on here so it is sometimes fun to make quips.

But, look how many comments have been made over a fairly simple question. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.