First fluid change and other musings . . . - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

First fluid change and other musings . . .

To start, if I appear to be venting, then I probably am. Your patience is appreciated. FTI, I had the 400 series for almost ten years so I'll be comparing my last 400 (K9) to the 2016 650.

I did the initial fluid changes last night - what a royal pain in the <self-sensored>! It took me over there hours to do this! The next time will be better, however, I need to find a better way to fill the transmission. The squeeze bottle method suggested by LeDude just isn't going to work for me.

Now, my list of pros and cons so far.

Let's start with the cons. Trunk, what trunk? Two helmets, what, size small? I can get mine in if I wiggle it enough. I typically hang it on the side with the cable Suzuki provided (actually a nice touch). The second con is the amount of tupperware that one has to remove to change the fluids. Oh yes, this snap stuff is a pain to get to reattach and the fear factor of breaking it while you're trying to remove it is rather high for me. The mileage isn't really a con because I expected that. However, it looks like there is a mileage error - in other words, if the meter says 40 mpg (example only), the pencil and paper mileage will be around 44+. There is one more thing I don't like - there is no under-bike protection like there is on the 400s. I wish there was some type of plastic barrier like the 400, but with the exhaust system where it is, that's not possible.

Now, some pros. First, the seat is so much more comfortable that I haven't had the need to find a cushion. Second, the power is outstanding, especially in windy or hilly highways. Third, speaking of wind, even with the windscreen all the way down, this machine handles so much easier and feels more stable than my K9-400. Fourth, the fun factor - more than my old 400 and that had a LOT of fun factor. Fifth, I'm happy with what I bought, and for what these cost, that's a big factor.

Now, to all, ride safe 'cause outside of a few nutjobs out there, most are unintentionally out to get you.
captainfish and ducati14 like this.

Iím not afraid to go fast Ė itís the crashing and burning that scares me.

Actually, I'm too cheap to go too fast. Have you seen the price of gas lately?

It's SO time for another long road trip!!! - like THAT'S ever going to happen now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Insane Poster

ditto the maintenance gripes, coming up on 11000 and cussin already! pouring fluid sideways must have been a huge joke for the engineers to play on us , not so unhappy with smaller storage space, just means I have to take 2 trips to do the same job agreed on all the rest

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
On the transmission part, there are 3 plugs. The top is the fill plug and this NEVER needs to be used, PERIOD. The second is the level plug, this is the one to use to fill and check the level. I made a hanger for the bottle and pour in just under the required amount and let it drip fill. I then finger dip check it and top it off with a squirt oil can. like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbuil...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
mike D likes this.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:06 PM
Insane Poster

[QUOTE=Dave_J;1500513]On the transmission part, there are 3 plugs. The top is the fill plug and this NEVER needs to be used, PERIOD.

anybody ever seen the innards of that ridicumous fill plug thing ?
captainfish likes this.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:57 PM
Insane Poster

Incredible! I got my 650 this past January, and I found that changing all 3 fluids was easy as pie! For the Transmision, I pulled the bottom plug and drained it, then put the bottom plug back in, The removed the middle plug and then the top plug. I put a clear plastic hose on the tip of my Lube bottle and the put the other end of the 18" long clear tube into the top hole, it fit snug, but stayed in place. I turned the Lube bottle upside down and the lube flowed into the transmission. When the Lube started to come out of the middle hole, I turned the Lube bottle rightside up, pulled out the clear tube, and let the excess Lube come out the middle hole. Then I simply put the center and top plugs back it, and Walaa! I was done with the transmission fill. Easy. The engine oil and final drive lube changes were even easier. Kudos to Suzuki for making the bikes so easily servicable.
I can probably fill the Transmission with the clear hose in the center hole just as well I'm sure. I'll try that next time. It will still be easy.
However I take issue with them for decreasing storage space. To me that is one of the most important things about the scooter! Maintain MAXIMUM STORAGE SPACE!
Dave_J likes this.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 03-14-2017 at 07:02 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. View Post
I can probably fill the Transmission with the clear hose in the center hole just as well I'm sure. I'll try that next time. It will still be easy.
The top hole has a larger diameter, so if your plastic hose fits the top hole exactly, you won't be able to use the middle hole with the same hose. I was happy I could loosen the top plug (felt like I was going to brake it) to find out this had this larger diameter because my filler hose also did not fit the level plug.
captainfish likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

A bit more observation . . .

Since I started this thread, I'd like to make a few comments.

First, the main irritation is this tupperware. It's a different type of plastic but to me, it's hard to unsnap and even moreso to snap back in to place. It seems there's always one or two little spots that are just resistant to cooperating. Also, I feel like I'm going to break something when I have to pull on it.

Second, I'm going to have to find a way to catch the oil from the transmission. Since the drain plug is right over the centerstand, it makes it a bit difficult, at least for me, to not have a bit of an oil mess.

Third, and I'm sure this varies from person to person, but as a non-young buck, I'm finding it harder and harder to work on these machine from the concrete floor. If I had the space, I'd buy a lift in a heartbeat; space is at a premium. Saying all that, when it comes to things like removing the oil filter, it's next to impossible, again, for me, to not make a mess, even when I let the filter drain.

Since I put a number of miles a month on this machine, thanks to my commute, I'll be changing the engine/transmission oil every few months. This is in contrast to my old 400 which required an oil change once or twice a year.

Now, saying all that, I'm open to any suggestions as to how to increase my efficiency when performing this several times a year maintenance project. Is there a series of hints, and no, taking it to my mechanic is not an option. Again, if there are some suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Bruce

PS: To Dave_J and his comment about the top transmission plug: that little thing is a bit tricky to get back in the hole. Therefor, if it doesn't have to be removed, then why bother? Thanks for the thought Dave_J on this.
captainfish likes this.

Iím not afraid to go fast Ė itís the crashing and burning that scares me.

Actually, I'm too cheap to go too fast. Have you seen the price of gas lately?

It's SO time for another long road trip!!! - like THAT'S ever going to happen now.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:19 AM
Insane Poster

like you i find someone had moved the ground a little too close to the bottom of the bike, and a whole lot further from my zone of comfort. Ive been scheming and screaming for a lift like at the garage that will get it over my head, the eskimo won't go for that. I did find a disposable roasting pan makes a great oil catch pan, and easy to drain the oil into another container. removing the filter, a strap wrench, with the handle shortened. and the manual with tool sizes and other notes (replace consumed beverages etc) written in the margins helps me make less getting up and down movements due to forgotten necessities (ie this is a 2 beverage job bring both) I will be doing the 11000 by the end of this month and anything else I learn I will pm you
captainfish likes this.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

I'm thinking . . .

I'm thinking about, for the transmission, following Dave_J's advice - just leave that whacky transmission fill bolt in. That bolt, for me, was really tricky. I don't care how good my lights in the garage are, it's still difficult for me to get it lined up with the hole in belongs in.

Also, I'm going to invest in a cheap liquid transfer pump (smallest one they have) from Harbor Freight to pump the oil in. I just don't trust that tubing on the end of a condiment bottle, especially when it's over my face.

Also, since I buy my oil in one gallon jugs, if the pump fits then I could roughly measure out how much to fill in the crankcase.

For the final drive, I just squeezed the bottle in to the fill hole.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Bruce, that oil squirt can I posted a link to will hold 15 oz or 500 ml and the transmission is something like 380 ml. So just fill the squirt can almost full and squeeze the handle 25-50 times till oil flows back out the "Check" hole. I have no idea how much volume per squirt.

Harborfrieght has a 20 oz or 592 ml for about $6.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-f...-can-1113.html
captainfish likes this.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.