First fluid change and other musings . . . - Page 3 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Was all ready to go out and . . .

buy one this weekend - another three day parking lot sale.

However, when I looked under the bike, it seems the exhaust system is a tad lower to the ground than the engine. I just don't feel comfortable trying to lift it with that kind of weight on those exhaust pipes and the related connectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010685 - A.jpg (217.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1010686 - A.jpg (197.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg P1010687 - A.jpg (208.7 KB, 6 views)

Iím not afraid to go fast Ė itís the crashing and burning that scares me.

Actually, I'm too cheap to go too fast. Have you seen the price of gas lately?

It's SO time for another long road trip!!! - like THAT'S ever going to happen now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:35 AM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytech View Post

However, when I looked under the bike, it seems the exhaust system is a tad lower to the ground than the engine. I just don't feel comfortable trying to lift it with that kind of weight on those exhaust pipes and the related connectors.
This is why I made that adapter bracket. It fits to the engine and allows it to be lifted without crimping the exhaust.

HarborFreight has the lift on sale for $69 this weekend.

I may just go out tomorrow and see if I can take some better pictures with my cell phones 13 Meg/pixel camera.
captainfish likes this.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:56 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:

Oh Gezzz....Don't wimp out on it now....After Dave_J made all those lovely pictures of his beautiful Adaptor... He's practically doing all the work for you.
Or some kind of ramp to roll it up on?

And guys, Look back at my post, #5, I fill the Transmission with the clear tube that is pushed onto the spout of my lube bottle. There is no mess at all. Using a funnel would suck. You guys complaining how messy it is. Not So! Just use a long enough clear plastic tube, maybe 2 ft of more. I can't remember the size, maybe 5/16" I'll have to check. Simple, install the DRAIN plug and tighten, stick clear plastic tube in FILL hole, hold Gear Lube bottle upside down, lightly squeeze, when fluid starts coming out of LEVEL hole, stop squeezing and set bottle right side up on floor, the fluid in hose will go back into the Gear Lube Bottle, then remove clear plastic hose, install the LEVEL plug and tighten, install the FILL plug and tighten. If your carefull, should be no mess, maybe only spill a drop or two.
wspollack likes this.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1979 Honda CB 750 Silver
1979 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 03-18-2017 at 03:15 AM.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Better pics . . .

Dave_J,

If you can get some good, in focus pics, then I might just run up and get it. It would help a lot and I've found a way to store it in the garage, at least I think so.

Question - on the handle, can it go to 90 degrees, in other words, straight up? I'm asking because I can store the unit itself under my work bench but I have other things on that side of the garage that won't allow me to leave the handle at a 45 degree angle or so.

REALLY looking forward to the new pics and by the way, for myself and others, what would it cost us to have you make the brackets?

Bruce

It's SO time for another long road trip!!! - like THAT'S ever going to happen now.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Bruce, That HarborFreight lift has a handle that is pinned. You can pull the pin out and it does get somewhat smaller.

1a.jpg

I took two better pictures from under the bike. This is my 2003 AN650. The exhaust pipe is MUCH lower so just that lift will not work without an adapter to fit up inside.

Front Tube.jpg

Rear tube for bracket..jpg

On the costs of making these, I am not sure. I have not priced angle iron in a while but I imagine it can not be more than $10 each. Shipping would be more that the product. My first one was made out of a scraped table. Right now my son has my Mig welder at his house but I could go over there and weld or he can bring MY welder back.

But I am sure if you took my pictures, the lift and your bike to a local Community College Technical schools welding class, for about the price of a good Pizza they'd knock one out for ya.

captainfish likes this.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

Last edited by Dave_J; 03-18-2017 at 08:16 PM.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Hmmmmm . . .

Well, maybe it's a good thing they were out of these today.

I figure you could make them and just ship them to me in one of those USPS boxes that lets you cram as much stuff as you can in it for one price.

Now I'm torn - do I buy the lift tomorrow if they have it or just pass it up? I really don't want to have to buy it and then not be able to use it. There aren't any community colleges around here that have a welding program.

Bruce

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:34 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Well, maybe it's a good thing they were out of these today.

I figure you could make them and just ship them to me in one of those USPS boxes that lets you cram as much stuff as you can in it for one price.

Now I'm torn - do I buy the lift tomorrow if they have it or just pass it up? I really don't want to have to buy it and then not be able to use it. There aren't any community colleges around here that have a welding program.

Bruce
What! Are you kidding me? I just looked up Bedford Texas, and there it lies, right beween Fort Worth and Dallas! You have got to have a TON of places around there that can do what you need. Just let your Fingers do the walking and make some calls! You're making Lee Harvey Oswald turn over in his grave! He's only about 9 miles from you!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1979 Honda CB 750 Silver
1979 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Been there . . .

I've been to Lee Harvey Oswald's grave, as well as many other "notorious" sites in the FW area. I even work in what would have been, or right on the border of, "The Acre".

As to getting them built, I don't have the time any more to do those sort of things, run those sort of errands.

BTW, Oswald did not shoot Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe did not commit suicide.
Dave_J and E.D. like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.