How hard are 650 tires to mount? - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

How hard are 650 tires to mount?

Looking at Bridgestone TH01.

I mount all my 17" motorcycle tires myself with an old Harbor Freight tire machine and a Mojolever and have no trouble. I'm just a little concerned about the small size of the Burgman tires. Does that make them harder? Easier?

I know that the 10" tires on the front of my lawn tractor made me consider throwing all my tools away and shutting down my shop

Retired. Finally found something I'm qualified for.

2006 Burgman 650
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:42 AM
Insane Poster

In general, smaller = harder. I manage to mount the 400 tires (120/80 - 14 F, 130/70 - 13 R) with no more than a couple of 2x4 scraps and 3 tire irons. I do not think it is particularly difficult.
Dave_J likes this.

Ridin' the IceBurg - 10% transportation, 90% fun!
90K and counting.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Insane Poster

easy, one swipe of the credit card and it's done !
captainfish, E.D. and Charro like this.

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:22 AM
Insane Poster

The front is relatively easy, doesn't take too much #(!*@, and goes on quickly.

The rear tire is a different story, the beads are so stiff that it takes a bit of planning and proper lubing to get both of the beads
on the rim, especially the second one.

I use Harbor Freight''s motorcycle tire changer which really helps with keeping the wheel in place and letting me use all my
energy an strength to get that 2nd bead on. I often have to use clamps to minimize the tire walking as I apply force in
the opposite direction. A good tire mounting bar will make the job much easier.

Give them a try and you will know pretty fast where you stand. Considering your tire changing back ground, I don't
think you will have any problems.

on one or two occasions I was defeated by that 2nd bead on the rear tire so I just took it in to a shop and they popped
the bead on for $5.00.

all the best.

Happy Riding . . . . .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LeDude .... . . . . . .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by LeDude; 03-14-2017 at 11:24 AM.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatman128 View Post
In general, smaller = harder. I manage to mount the 400 tires (120/80 - 14 F, 130/70 - 13 R) with no more than a couple of 2x4 scraps and 3 tire irons. I do not think it is particularly difficult.
After posting the question I remembered mounting a 13" trailer tire for my brother-in-law a couple of months back. It went OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyMarine View Post
easy, one swipe of the credit card and it's done !
After reading some of the posts on various Internet forums, I've come to the realization that some people have more money than they need. My local shop quoted me $570+ for two tires and mounting and balancing this morning. I can buy the tires for < $250. I guess I'm gonna rassle them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDude View Post
The front is relatively easy, doesn't take too much #(!*@, and goes on quickly.

The rear tire is a different story, the beads are so stiff that it takes a bit of planning and proper lubing to get both of the beads
on the rim, especially the second one.

I use Harbor Freight''s motorcycle tire changer which really helps with keeping the wheel in place and letting me use all my
energy an strength to get that 2nd bead on. I often have to use clamps to minimize the tire walking as I apply force in
the opposite direction. A good tire mounting bar will make the job much easier.

Give them a try and you will know pretty fast where you stand. Considering your tire changing back ground, I don't
think you will have any problems.

on one or two occasions I was defeated by that 2nd bead on the rear tire so I just took it in to a shop and they popped
the bead on for $5.00.

all the best.
Thanks for the response. I used to mount the rears on a GL1800 Goldwing, and they were the worst I've ever tried. I finally reached an agreement with a buddy who would come help me with mine when I needed it, and we mounted all his here as well, and I'd help him. An extra pair of hands was invaluable. I do the tires on both my other bikes by myself without a lot of drama.

The Mojolever seems expensive, but it's been a lifesaver on difficult tires. I also added a yellow thing from NoMar, and it's a big help.

I'll report back how it goes.

Thanks for the responses.

2006 Burgman 650
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Start with a very warm tire. Using just two tire irons I have little issues when WARM. But a cold day with a clod tire and it kicked my A$$.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Insane Poster

After reading some of the posts on various Internet forums, I've come to the realization that some people have more money than they need.

it's nice having a rich eskimo woman
captainfish and E.D. like this.

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is

Last edited by mikeyMarine; 03-14-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: missspell
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J View Post
Start with a very warm tire. Using just two tire irons I have little issues when WARM. But a cold day with a clod tire and it kicked my A$$.
It's cool here, but I have been known to warm a tire up with a hair dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyMarine View Post
After reading some of the posts on various Internet forums, I've come to the realization that some people have more money than they need.

it's nice having a rich eskimo woman
Maybe that's my problem. We were both dead broke when we married, 45 years ago, and we spent it all
captainfish likes this.

2006 Burgman 650
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:49 PM
Super Poster

I pull the wheel off the bike and take it to my local Yamaha/Honda shop. They charge me $30 for the change out. I usually buy the front tire from them but they have no problems with me bring in a car tire to mount on the back wheel. I feel it is a fair price and am happy to let them do it.

So many highways,
So little time.........

------------------------------------------
2009 650 Executive
Grip Puppies
Dark Side Ponteza
Speedo Healer
Re-shaped Seat
Clearview Large w/vent
Oznium LED Turn Indicator
RAM Garmin Mount
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymacke View Post
I pull the wheel off the bike and take it to my local Yamaha/Honda shop. They charge me $30 for the change out. I usually buy the front tire from them but they have no problems with me bring in a car tire to mount on the back wheel. I feel it is a fair price and am happy to let them do it.
I don't think that's a terrible price. I usually mount two at once on my other bikes; I run through a front and rear at about the same rate. So I order a set online and get them delivered to the house by UPS. I've never timed it, but I'm guessing maybe 45 minutes a wheel to R&R the tire and balance it -- hour and a half for both. And I'm retired; what else I got to do?

2006 Burgman 650
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.