LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
I'm a 70-yar-old IT guy without the 22-year-old son. I may be in trouble

Tires are coming.
Heck, just buy a new bike when the tires are shot.
Back in the 60's and 70's my uncle would trade in a car when it had 15,000 miles. Every year when the new model of Lincoln Mark V would come out. He had a standing pre order with his Lincoln dealer and my aunt bought the last one after he died but canceled the pre order for after.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:32 PM
Turbo Poster

buyer: "So, Mister, why ya selling your fairly new bike?"

seller: "Cuz the tires need changin', son!"

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfish View Post
well, but your profile says you're retired. That means no pressure. We had to make sure we got his bike done that afternoon else he'd not have transportation the next day. hhahahaha.

Since you've done swaps before, am sure I'm not telling you anything new, but to put it on the post for proper posterity (and with feeling), breaking the old bead was not fun. as was the cleaning of the old rubber off of the wheel rim. Had a single C-clamp that I used to use for changing out tie-rod ends of my trucks in my youth. Used it to pop the beads of the tire. First bead popped out fine, but that other one took about an hour of finageling (no idea if that's spelled correctly). On the rear, make ample use of the brake rotor to hold your tire spoons down while you slip the next one in under the old tire (when trying to remove tire from wheel).

But, the 14" tire for Burgy should be a tad bit easier than the 12" of my son's Reflex.
Yeah. I'm a retired IT guy. I finally found something I'm really good at. This retired gig is just my cup of tea. I've got an old Harbor Freight tire changer with a Mojolever, so I don't anticipate any problems (famous last words sometimes). I didn't comment on your use of Windex. I've heard of that before but never tried it. I'll give that a shot and see how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J View Post
Heck, just buy a new bike when the tires are shot.
Back in the 60's and 70's my uncle would trade in a car when it had 15,000 miles. Every year when the new model of Lincoln Mark V would come out. He had a standing pre order with his Lincoln dealer and my aunt bought the last one after he died but canceled the pre order for after.
Heck, this bike is almost new, and the tires look great. It's a 2006 model with 933 miles (yes, 933 miles) on the clock. The date codes on the tires indicate they were made in January of 2006. Like I said, they look great, but I'm not getting it on the road with them.

I posted a few weeks back that a dear friend with terminal cancer had given it to me. He passed two weeks after he gave it to me, so I didn't get a chance to go visit him on it.
Dave_J likes this.

Retired. Finally found something I'm qualified for.

2006 Burgman 650
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:46 PM
Turbo Poster

bike with a good history. awesome. ride well.

yeah, windex has just enough slippery and evaporates pretty well. just .. has to be used more often. but, it's cheap.

Current Owner:

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
"Blue Lightning"

Photo Gallery:
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
Yeah. I'm a retired IT guy. I finally found something I'm really good at. This retired gig is just my cup of tea. I've got an old Harbor Freight tire changer with a Mojolever, so I don't anticipate any problems (famous last words sometimes). I didn't comment on your use of Windex. I've heard of that before but never tried it. I'll give that a shot and see how it works.

Heck, this bike is almost new, and the tires look great. It's a 2006 model with 933 miles (yes, 933 miles) on the clock. The date codes on the tires indicate they were made in January of 2006. Like I said, they look great, but I'm not getting it on the road with them.

I posted a few weeks back that a dear friend with terminal cancer had given it to me. He passed two weeks after he gave it to me, so I didn't get a chance to go visit him on it.
Sorry about your friend.
My 2011 an650 had less than 600 miles on it in 2016 when I bought it. Still has the original tires.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:11 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyMarine View Post
easy, one swipe of the credit card and it's done !
Perfect!
Cheers!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1979 Honda CB 750 Silver
1979 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:59 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antimatter View Post
I can use a mount/dismount bar on the front, but I end up using a couple of very slim dirt-bike spoons for the rear. I use a piece of cut-up shampoo bottle as a scratch protector, and Ruglyde for lubrication.
uh, the eskimo woman wants to know if you are still tlking about tires, she has a very odd look on her face

never swim nekkid, they'll know who farted
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
uh, the eskimo woman wants to know if you are still tlking about tires, she has a very odd look on her face
Funny story, the first time I ever tried to change a tire it took me 6 hours and there was a lot of swearing involved. My wife (not an eskimo woman) came down to the basement to check on me, and right as she arrived I lost my grip on one of the tire irons. The tire spit it out, and it shot past me and hit the wall right beside her head. Without a word, she turned around and headed back up the stairs. I've gotten much better at changing tires since then.
captainfish, mikeyMarine and E.D. like this.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Quote:
easy, one swipe of the credit card and it's done !
wait.. is that how you met your eskimo woman?!?!?

Current Owner:

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
"Blue Lightning"

Photo Gallery:
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:18 PM
Super Poster

Get yourself a bar of ivory snow and chop it up and put it in a blender with about a pint of water. Wipe it on the tire bead and rim with a brush or rag and you can mount a new tire by throwing it on the rim and just press it over the rim with the heel of your shoe. Ivory snow Bar soap is pure soap. No detergents, totally safe. And slicker than a greased banana peel.

Last edited by Skunkhome; 03-18-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.