Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Hesitates on acceleration

8K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  eag 
#1 ·
Whenever I accelerate from a stand still the bike idles really high and take off is slow and it seems like it catches up to gear after a few seconds. I have no other problem at high speeds and the ride is OK, its just only when I take off or if speed goes below 10mph. What could be the problem?

#2 ·
How many miles on her and do you mean the engine revs high when taking off from a dead stop?

#3 ·
what model year and how many mile son the scoot.

your problem could stem from a number of different things.

most likely, it could be worn out clutch plates, engine revs up really high from a stand still and you barely get underway
and then have to play with the throttle to maintain proper momentum.

other possibilities are a worn out belt or some sort of CVT issue.

03/04 models often end up with a worn out primary pulley bearing which in turn causes all sorts of issues.

I don't think a worn out PPS would cause this kind of problem, but you can always test it to make sure it is working correctly.

good luck.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't have to play with the throttle....It's a 2007 with 17,000 miles. I had an ignition problem in 2009 and it sat until 2015. It was running fine all last year, until a couple of weeks ago. If I change my transmission and final gear fluid, would that help. When I hit the throttle from a dead stop to take off the engine revs up, it takes off slow and then it seems to catch when im about 4,000 rpm, but if I gradually apply the throttle from a dead stop it shifts just fine. I just don't know where to start. If I can take a video of whats wrong I'll try to post it either here or on my youtube page.

#5 ·
When I hit the throttle from a dead stop to take off the engine revs up, it takes off slow and then it seems to catch when im about 4,000 rpm, but if I gradually apply the throttle from a dead stop it shifts just fine.
Does the problem get worse in Manual or Power mode?

#6 ·
Sound like slipping clutch :-(

Greg

#10 · (Edited)
nope..it doesn't get worse in manual or power.
The last time the engine oil was changed what oil did you use? The 650 requires oil that is compatible for a wet clutch (JASO MA rating). If not it could have additives that harm the clutch causing slippage.

Checking that there is good fuel in it (sitting long term it turns to varnish) like TheReaper said can't hurt either.

#8 ·
judging from your description, it has all the tell tell signs of a slipping clutch, pretty easy to check and remedy if you are a DIYer.

if things improve a bit after an oil change, it is very likely that some of the plates in the clutch may have worn out etc...

hopefully the correct oil was used in the past without any friction modifiers in it.

you can check my burgman center if you want to see how to take the clutch assembly out for inspection / repair.

good luck....

#9 ·
Before you do any thing mechanical try a couple of tanks of gas with some Techron fuel injection cleaner . Chances are that's your problem .

TheReaper!

#15 · (Edited)
Before you do any thing mechanical try a couple of tanks of gas with some Techron fuel injection cleaner . Chances are that's your problem . TheReaper!
not likely, not sure how gasoline affects shifting and slippage issues, maybe rough idling with poor combustion issues.

If the improper oil is used (one with friction modifiers) on a bike with a wet clutch, and it starts slipping, will changing the oil to a basic petroleum type improve/repair the action of the clutch?
probably not, depending on how long the oil is left in the clutch, once the modifiers embed themselves onto the clutch plates, they are probably there for good,
not sure if you can take the plates out and use some sort of chemical concoction to clean them and remove the modifiers.

if the wrong oil was used, it is best to take the clutch apart, clean it thoroughly and probably replace all the fibrous plates

#12 ·
That I'm not sure as I have never done so but while I suspect it might improve I do not think it will be as it was before if the clutch friction material absorbs the additives.

#16 ·
eag , if it is your clutch from using the wrong oil and you need to replace it , I have a complete clutch in stock and I think Big Cory still has a complete engine sitting in his garage too . I think Erik also has a low mileage parts bike that he bought recently .
Before you attempt replacing your clutch , make sure you have a new gasket handy .

TheReaper!

#21 · (Edited)
Here's a video to better explain whats happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIfsnFUTyKs
What brand/type of oil was used when it was changed?

Try this. Put it into manual and start out gently, once you have reached enough speed push the upshift button into second and give it lots of throttle. Does it only slip in 1st and not 2nd? Does it snap your neck when it shifts into 2nd?

#20 ·
My best guess is the clutch is slipping , hopefully that's what it is because it's a much easier fix than bad keys in the CVT . A few of the guys here have had a clutch go bad and will chime in shortly . If you have car oil in it makes sure it's well drained and changed before you stick another clutch in , and if you don't have a new gasket handy order one as in yesterday . I have a clutch here and I think Cory and Erik also have one , so finding one here locally will be fairly easy . Replacing yours with a slightly used one is a relatively simple job .

TheReaper!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.