Cheap Trunk - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Cheap Trunk

I'm looking for a little more storage just for trips. Has anyone tried one of these on a '13 or later 650?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...e-travel-trunk

“The sun has risen and the sun has set, and I ain’t out of Texas yet!”. /|\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 07:31 AM
Turbo Poster

That doesn't look to bad. Would you have to buy a rack to mount it to, or a mounting kit?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 06:36 PM
Super Poster

Looks kinda small. Reading one of the comments the top box needed modification and it's only just big enough to fit a full face helmet.
A number of Lardy owners have bought and installed Besteem branded top boxes which are also quick release. Besteem top boxes are rebranded ADLO branded products.
ADLO is a mainland China manufacturer in Guangdong province. I've 7 motorcycles in the stable all of which I've fitted one ADLO box or another and I have got a few top boxes spare since the boxes are really quite affordable at about half the retail price of the USA new price. Besteem have a website AFAIK though the boxes can be found for sale online on eEbay etc.
www.adlo.net

To answer the question, yes a luggage rack is required although it is possible to fabricate a rack with a little ingenuity utilising the top box base plate depending on the brand. ADLO boxes have a metal base plate (usually) to allow quick release.

ADLO produced a new and bigger improved top box last year though I'm unsure if the model has been picked up by Besteem or not. I tried to cut and paste a link from Taobao but my smartphone isn't allowing me to place that URL here <frustrating>

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Super Poster

Taobao ADLO link
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 06:50 AM
Super Poster

Here's an alternative you might want to consider if you don't carry a passenger.

I had an old set of Nelson-Rigg CL-850 saddlebags (now model CL-855) on my VStrom. Due to a misfire (coil wire worked loose), one muffler overheated and melted the back of one bag. I kept the other bag. When I bought the Burgman, I found it fit perfectly between the two backrests. (See photo below from a recent ADV Tag-O-Rama photo). It's easy to get into, locks with a micro padlock, and can be removed in less than 5 minutes. A set of two (should last at least 3-4 years each so you're good for 6-8 years) will cost you around $125. The mounting straps that come with it work great to attach to the grab rail, and the longer strap runs around the front backrest. Good and secure mounting. I can also strap my sleeping bag on top of the saddlebag when I camp.

2007 Burgman 650 (SOLD - Nov 2015)
Retired US Air Force MSgt (E7)
Church Organist/Pianist
My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks BurgProMan, I will definitely consider this as I really prefer storage on the seat. The only drawback I see is not having access to the under seat storage without untying the bag from the grab rails.... Incidentally, I see that I have the same rider backrest as you; have you found a way to cover the backside of the backrest?

“The sun has risen and the sun has set, and I ain’t out of Texas yet!”. /|\
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:17 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boing76 View Post
Thanks BurgProMan, I will definitely consider this as I really prefer storage on the seat. The only drawback I see is not having access to the under seat storage without untying the bag from the grab rails.... Incidentally, I see that I have the same rider backrest as you; have you found a way to cover the backside of the backrest?
There are only 2 small clip-straps on the rear lower corners that wrap around the grab rail. It only takes a few seconds to unclip them to raise the seat. The front one loops around the base of the backrest and stays on as the seat is raised. When I strap on the sleeping bag, it does take longer.

The previous owner fabricated this raised backrest using a piece of plywood. Roughly a "C"-shaped piece with the 2 ends facing down, he mounted it to the existing seat hardware, then cut holes and mounted the backrest about 3 inches higher on the wood. Works great. If you are interested, I can take some close-up photos and PM you. Here is a similar project - scroll down to posts # 4 -10 and you will get the idea. Custom backrest extension for my 2013 Burgman 400

2007 Burgman 650 (SOLD - Nov 2015)
Retired US Air Force MSgt (E7)
Church Organist/Pianist
My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BurgPnoMan; 08-16-2015 at 05:31 AM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 11:21 AM
Super Poster

J.C. Whitney(or whatever they call themselves now) carries a decent large size topcase that should work fine for occasional use. I bought one for my wife's Majesty and fabbed up a rack to mount it. Total cost shipped was about $45 and another $7 for some square aluminum tubing and nuts, bolts, and washers. The red lens across the back unbolted easily and I wired up two strings of red L.E.D.s over some alum. foil, bolted it back together, and wired it into the brake light circuit. It made for a very nice topcase, once I took off the Maltese Cross sticker that was on the top!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 03:48 PM

The Bestem 2012 model (42L see their site) was about $80 with the mounting hardware, quick release plate, instructions, and box with paint that matched my burg. Extremely happy with the case, took me a couple of hours to install (mainly to figure out how to get off the Tupperware). I keep a spare helmet, jacket, gloves, etc. for a rider in the case.
Skunkhome likes this.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 06:36 PM

Location: Western MI, Lower Peninsula, N of Muskegon and S of Ludington
I bought one of those about 4 yrs ago. It does the job. At that time I put it on a Helix and it will hold a helmet with a face shield etc I now have it on my An 400.
As you say short trips and it is handy for sticking your helmet in while you leave the scoot.
I'd get a larger one but what for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.