Front fork seal replacement - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Front fork seal replacement

Im in the process of fixing up my 03 burgman 400 and i have noticed that the round black doughnut looking seals on the forks are rusted..They seal the area where the "shiny" part of the fork slides in and out of the lower portion of the fork, and i'm assuming the two seals are there mainly to keep dirt and water from entering the fork, but do these seals also contain an oil down in the lower section?? I mean i know there is fork oil inside of there but i wasn't sure if these seals are the only ones holding the oil down in the shocks when they are compressed..Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace these seals? It appears as though the entire fork has to be disassembled... They are not rusted badly but you can see that its like a metal ring that is encased in rubber which makes the seal, and i can see the metal ring under the rubber is starting to rust and the rubber is cracking so i can see the rusty metal in certain spots. Is this a common failure on a burgman?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:38 AM

I just purchased a 2008 Burgman 400 and my fork was leaking fluid yesterday. 2 mechanics saw the rust at the top of my fork & think that changing the seals won't be a permanent fix. The both think it needs a big job. My motorcycle instructor on the other hand says that the rust can be removed with some steal wool, soft sand paper or a plastic bag. What do you say?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:08 AM
Super Poster

Garage
Have a look here ... parts fische

https://www.bike-parts-suz.com/suzuk...ListID=7077074

Greg

Suzuki TS185 road trail (sold) ; Suzuki GT250 custom with 350 barrels (sold) ; Suzuki GS1000e 1980 (sold) ; Honda VT750 cruiser (traded ->)
Honda Hornet 900 (sold) ; Yamaha XS850 triple (sold) ; Yamaha XT500 (sold) ; Burgman 650 2003 (stolen) ; Burgman 250 2003 (traded ->)
Suzuki Bandit 1250 (sold) ; Vespa GTS300 (traded ->) ; Yamaha Tmax (sold) ; Suzuki V-Strom 650 (sold) ; Present Burgman 650 2014

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:55 PM
Gio
Super Poster

Hi 13bturbofc, fork seals are not hard to do. The seals you see on top of the fork sliders are dust seals, the oil seals sit lower down inside the fork and located by a spring clip and spacer. Replacement of course depends on your engineering abilities and available tools / skill level. so if replacing seals you have to strip them down, empty the old dirty oil, clean and reassemble adding seals and correct amount oil of course..

Have a look at this page and the advice / photos of my Y model Burgman having its seals changed. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/14-burg...fork-seals.htm

As for a common failure, all modern bikes that don't have fork gaters suffer the same issue. Stones chip the chromed stanchions, rust forms, seals get chewed. I fit simple plastic deflector held on with a cable tie to stop stones hitting the section of stanchion the fork lower leg moves over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.