Speedo not working - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Poster

Default Speedo not working

Hi Guys,
My speedo stopped working a few weeks ago and at first inspection I found a wire (orange) on the connection cable that had is insulation rubbed off and was probably touching the frame. I fixed that but it did not solve the problem. I then took the speedo sensor apart as per some of the advice fro the list and it is not broken, in fact is in very good condition, so it seems that it can only be the odometer itself.
Any other ideas welcomed.

Best Regards
Luis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Speedo not working

When the speedometer fails, most of the time it's the speedometer rotor (part 21) in this fiche page:

http://www.yamahasuzukiofcoolsprings.co ... 5%2FSK6%29

Several people have just glued the rotor back together. I've had to replace the entire sensor assembly (part 19) once when a broken rotor damaged the sensor too. I don't recall any other causes for speedometer failure on the forums.
"Yes, I ride it all year round. No, I'm not insane. I'm poor. With insane, you get free room and board."
billmeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 07 650 Executive and 06 400S

As you say you've checked the sensor rotor and it is not broken, I would guess that the wire you found with the insulation rubbed off shorted out either the sensor or the meter.

The service manual says to test the sensor and if it test good to replace the meter. There is no test procedure for the meter. The manual does list a procedure to test the sensor. It is on page 8-27 of my manual. If you don't have a manual post back and I will type in the procedure.
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP
My Gallery
Buffalo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine was recently fixed part was $144.
Delfino 100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mine crapped out today at 4560 km. Was driving down the highway and it just quit. I took the speed sensor off and a couple of pieces of plastic fell out. I checked the fisch and the magnetic rotor has been replaced by a new part number. It would seem Susuki is aware of the problem and should have a good will warranty for this?
Peter Hall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Doubt it. Expect to pay for the part yourself unless you are under warranty.
"Yes, I ride it all year round. No, I'm not insane. I'm poor. With insane, you get free room and board."
billmeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Or just do what many of us have done, glue the rotor back together and reinstall it. Mine broke at around 7,000 miles. I glued it back together with epoxy and it is still working fine with the bike now having over 21,000 miles on it. I just put a new front tire on yesterday and I pulled the rotor out to inspect it. It is still looking just fine. I cleaned it up, regreased it and put it back in.
My Gallery
Old 10-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

OK, so I pulled the wheel off and removed the speedo send unit, no problem there. The plastic end piece that turns the magnet was broken free and spun freely. the magnet itself is stuck to the shaft. I'm going to try gently heating itto see if it will come free. It looks like the old grease had hardened and caused the sender to break. If I can get this fixed, looks like regular greasing will prevent this from happening again. Comment anyone?
Old 10-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Cleaning and regreasing seems to be working to keep mine going since I repaired it. I've added it to my regular mainenance schedule.
My Gallery
Old 10-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, good news. I managed to get the magnet unstuck and reglued. It's working for now but the magnet has a linear crack and I don't know how long it will last. the cause of my grief was that the magnet stuck to the center shaft. probably never greased and the old grease hardened causing it to break. Proper maintenance would have prevented this and I'll be doing this on a yearly cycle from now on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.