Expected life of front wheel bearings? - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J View Post
That is a mild case of head shake. It has a few causes.

I crashed in April 2015 due to a flying tire hitting my front wheel causing a head shake and snatching the bars out of my hands. I could not get the bars under control and hit the concrete barrier at 70+ MPH.
My shake it a little worse than the video Yes, I worry about losing it on the freeway. It's to the point that I can feel it while holding on to the bars, so it's not good.

Last time it was solved with a new bearing and new tire. I think I will replace the bearing no matter what just to be sure. Tire looks good, no cupping. Put it on last spring. A re-balance is a good idea too, hadn't really thought of that.

2004 Burgman 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatman128 View Post
more than 90,000 based on an exhaustive empirical study of one sample.

To answer your last question, getting the forks apart isn't a big deal. The steering head bearings are 3 part devices - outer race, roller cage and inner race. The top bearing is pretty much a piece of cake. The lower bearing can be much harder. On mine it took a determined mechanic with an oxyacetylene torch about 90 minutes to get the lower outer race removed and the inner race off the fork. That was 30Kmiles ago.

Others on this forum have done it with few issues. Like many things, the range of difficulty falls somewhere between easy and impossible.

Any quick way to tell diagnose bead steering head bearings without tearing the bike apart?

2004 Burgman 400
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by xringracing View Post
Any quick way to tell diagnose bead steering head bearings without tearing the bike apart?
In the service manual it should have a test procedure for the steering head bearings. You have to lift the whole bike off the ground and using a fishing weight scale, measure how much force is required to pull the bars from straight a head. I do not know the procedure for the 400 but I have done it on the 650 and 9 times out of 10 its just a quick tightening and all is well.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:21 PM
Insane Poster

My experience has been that you will notice a very definite notch when traveling straight forward. Very much like a detent in a switch.
xringracing likes this.

Ridin' the IceBurg - 10% transportation, 90% fun!
94K and counting.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by xringracing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J View Post
In the service manual it should have a test procedure for the steering head bearings. You have to lift the whole bike off the ground and using a fishing weight scale, measure how much force is required to pull the bars from straight a head. I do not know the procedure for the 400 but I have done it on the 650 and 9 times out of 10 its just a quick tightening and all is well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatman128 View Post
My experience has been that you will notice a very definite notch when traveling straight forward. Very much like a detent in a switch.
If the steering head bearings are bad you will get a notchie feeling. But if just loose you may just get head shake. It is worth just doing the adjustment alone or repack the grease in the bearing and then adjust them to spec's.
xringracing likes this.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 04:18 PM
Insane Poster

^ what he said

Ridin' the IceBurg - 10% transportation, 90% fun!
94K and counting.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Insane Poster

Also, if it was not a sealed type bearing in the wheel, it could have been installed dry.

Burgman 650 '04 Exec black (too much a scoot)
Last true 400.
Suzuki DL1000. (gone but still most miles)
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Super Poster

If you have hit something have you checked the wheel for run out on both axis?
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:46 AM
Super Poster

To check you head bearings jack the front wheel off the ground and grabbing the bottom of the forks pull back and forward to see if there is any movement. Another way is to remove the handlebar shroud take the bike off the stand apply the front brake and putting your two fingers against the underside of the top yoke see if there is any movement. If there is you need to tighten up your steering stem. To test for notchiness [bike on centre stand] jack the bike up stick two bits of plastic sheeting under the front wheel with a little oil between them so they slip easily then lower the front wheel is just kissing the plastic with light pressure and turn the steering gently from one side to the other this will show if there is any notching on the bearing cups.
To check front wheel bearings Jack up the front and grabbing the wheel top and bottom give it a wiggle any movement bearings are shot and if you spin the wheel and the bearing is on its way out you can normally hear it grumbling the best test though is to remove the wheel stick your finger in the bearing and turn it left and right and you will detect any issues immediately. If all is good alter you rear suspension preload by a few notches so it is stiffer at the rear. Check your front tyre by looking down it from above this will show any distortion as will rubbing your hand over it. It may well be a combination of things making the steering oscillate.
Dave_J and xringracing like this.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Guess I have work to do. Thanks all.

I have hit many a pothole here in Ohio, not good on these small wheels. Wheel could be out of wack.

I have never detected any type of notch so far.

2004 Burgman 400

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.