Ignition problems? - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Ignition problems?

Will a faulty ignition switch cause the bike not to fire? Also, the plug is completely dry. When I turn the kill switch to the on position with the ignition switch on, I can hear the fuel pump pressurize. But I am still not getting any fire. The starter turns the engine over fine. Today I installed a new battery, stator, crank positioning sensor, ecu and a new rectifier. I do not know what is wrong. I have checked the fuses and all of the connectors I have seen. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

I have also checked the codes and it has come back repeatedly c00
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Hi Mike

Thank you for your PM but question and answers should be placed in open forum - otherwise the real purpose of the forum (open forum information sharing), would be defeated. Thank you for your kind words though but you should read my signature - in addition I have not had a 400 for over 10 years so I can no longer profess to be at all familiar with them.

I take it your question concerns the 400 unit you are incorporating into the 1957 BMW Isetta?

Where are you located by the way, your profile is not complete? We encourage new members to do this and introduce themselves in the 'who are you, where are you from?' section.

I have read all of your posts on your project and you are clearly very technically competent and I hesitate to offer my meagre advice.

But first a couple of scene setting questions:

1. Have you ever witnessed this specific engine, that you are now fault finding, running?

2. Have you cranked the engine with the spark plug removed from the cylinder but connected by its HT lead and with the plug grounded to observe if it indeed producing a spark?

3. Have you ever done a compression test?

4. Have you read this thread and the successful conclusion of it?LINKY.

I am clutching at straws but aware you have done exhaustive (and no doubt frustrating) work already.

An expert = ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure.
AN650AL0 (new toy)
AN650K4 (Av 44mpUSG) (Sold 11/4/2010)
AN400 - 2001 (Sold 8/13/05)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NormanB; 12-13-2016 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Inserting a relevant LINKY.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Yes I have checked all of these that you have mentioned and it is the engine put into the Isetta. I don't know what else to do with it. I have also checked the F1 codes and it comes back c00.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Also the engine was running great before the swap.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:52 AM
Super Poster

Garage
New battery, ecu, crank position sensor, stator, rectifier means that there's only one thing left- the coil. Or possibly the wire to the coil. Or the wire from the coil. Or the grounding of the coil. If you've essentially changed the frame by sticking the engine in an Isetta, then there may be grounding problems.

Anyway, you need to do some basic troubleshooting- check that there's actually voltage from the crank position sensor while cranking- just use an AC voltmeter and make sure the needle blips each time around is enough. Then check that there's varying voltage going to the coil- same thing but the voltmeter on the coil's connections. If you get the needle blipping with the coil wire, then it has to be something with the coil or the way it's hooked up.

Good luck and please keep us informed of your progress!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
You may need to measure the resistance of the CKP sensor and then measure it again from the ECM side by unplugging the ECM and test the resistance from the ECM wiring harness (Refer to the manual to identify the pins of the CKP), if the resistance wasn't identical then you have a shorted circuit.
Also, check the fuel pressure from the injector side, if you have enough pressure then take the injector out and plug it back to the hose and hold it tight while putting the spray side in a jar then ask for someone to crank the engine for you and see if the injector is working or not, you don't have a working engine condition so the spray quality is not what we seek here, we just want to see if it inject fuel or not. But if you have no preassure then you have to take the pump assembly out to inspect it.
By the way, is your bike equipped with Suzuki Advanced immobilizer system (S.A.I.S)?

Learning patience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.