Front Wheel removal on 06 Burgman 400 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Buffalo

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Front Wheel removal on 06 Burgman 400

So, I removed the tire from my back rim, and by dint of a lot of tire lube--actually I used a slimy bar of hand soap (I know there are some who frown on the use of soap)--and three long tire irons and a hammer, I managed to get the new tire rimmed and back on the bike. Now for the front wheel. From past experience I have found front wheels more difficult than back--especially when a speed sensor is on the axel. The hard part is not so much getting the old tire off the rim and the new one on, as getting the wheel and sensor back on the forks afterward. Does anyone have experience with the 06 B 400 in this context? Are there any hang ups? I would be glad to know of anything like this before I get into it.

Last edited by Tom Allen; 08-19-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 03:37 PM
Insane Poster

I've taken mine off and put it back on many times. Not difficult at all.

I always take the caliper off as it''s quick to do and I don't have to fiddle with getting the disc back between the pads when I am remounting the wheel. Just take out the two mounting bolts and slide the caliper off. But you can skip that step if you want to. I raise the front wheel off the ground with a floor jack under the bike lifting on the forward most frame cross member. The bike is on the center stand. If you don't have a floor jack or equivalent it is possible to just pick the front of the bike up and slide a block under the frame. I have done that a time or two.

To get the wheel off loosen the pinch bolt on the right fork tube. The manual recommends taking the clamp that holds the speed sensor wire on loose to gain more slack but I have never found a need to do this. Loosen the axle from the right side and pull it out allowing the wheel to slide out. Pay attention to the orientation of spacers and sensor parts so you can get them back right. Reinstall in the reverse order making sure you get the cogs on the speed sensor engaged fully. Torque the axle to 47 ft lbs and the pinch bolt to 16.5 ft lbs. If you took the caliper off install it and torque the bolts to 18 ft lbs.

One other thing. While you have the wheel off it's a good idea to do a little maintenance on the speed sensor. The grease on these tends to harden over time and the rotor binds and breaks causing speedometer failure. Frequent cleaning and greasing can greatly extend the life of the rotor. Gently pry the seal out being careful not to bend or damage it. Pull the rotor out. Clean all the old grease off it and lube with bearing grease then slide it back in place and tap the seal back in.

If your speedometer suddenly quits the primary culprit is likely the rotor. Many of us have had good luck gluing the rotor back together to get it working again. Mine broke at around 7,000 miles and I glued it back together with epoxy. Lasted another 25,000 miles before it broke again. This time there was no gluing it back together so I had to replace it. I did remove, clean and grease it every second oil change to help it last that long.
John Holbrook and Tom Allen like this.

--- Craig AKA Cliffhanger----
"Big Red" 2007 Red Executive - 135,601 miles
"Little Blue" 2006 Blue 400S - 47,746 miles
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Sounds good. I will do the speed sensor maintenance while I'm at it.

I have been studying my front tire. It doesn't look too bad, but it is dated 4405. I am afraid to put too much trust in a tire that old--still the temptation to trust to looks is trying to move me.

But I will be strong and pull that ancient tire. A catastrophic front tire failure at highway speed is my idea of the worst possible way to spend about .5 seconds before a fatal crash.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:30 PM
Turbo Poster

Buffalo hit it right on the head, no problem at all. I was worried about the speedo cable but no big deal.

I don't remove the caliper myself, I leave it on. It could be a little bit of a pain particularly with new pads.

2004 Burgman 400
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xringracing View Post
Buffalo hit it right on the head, no problem at all. I was worried about the speedo cable but no big deal.

I don't remove the caliper myself, I leave it on. It could be a little bit of a pain particularly with new pads.
I removed the wheel today and changed the tire. I did not take the caliper off--until I tried to put the wheel back on--it was much easier with the caliper detached from its mounting.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:58 PM

Hi....slight thread hijack. Speedo/Odo failure @ 8400 miles = Rotor repair. Never pulled front wheel before. Which type of jack is best: Hydraulic floor or basic scissor? And does any plastic need to be removed? Any pics of jack position and/or sensor positioning/alignment prior to reassembly?

Many thanks....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.