$24 Belt from China? - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Garage
$24 Belt from China?

Well, I did it- ordered the $24 belt from China.

It arrived yesterday and I installed it. It says "Mitsuboshi MBLSC045" and "Made in Japan". It seems like the same material as the original belt and it measures the same length with slightly more width- my worn-but-not-worn-out original was 21.8 mm and the new one is 22.4 mm.

The good news:
The ride is fine- no funny smells or squeals. Works better than my other belt- slightly lower RPM's as expected and smooth application of power. No problems. Works like a new OEM belt.

The bad news:
I don't really trust it. I'll be removing the cover to inspect it very 500 miles, so I'll get a handle on its longevity and see if it has any problems well before they happen. This is all in the name of science...

The "made in Japan" gives me pause, as does the "MBLSC045", which seems to be the part number of a belt from a TMax 500 scooter. But the TMax has a wider longer belt than our burgies. Maybe it's just mislabeled overstock? I wish I knew the story.

So hang on- I'll re-post as the belt gets more miles. Here's the link in case anyone wants to duplicate my experiment (or take a chance on an unknown). They have 947 of them left

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...523306506.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Insane Poster

You're a brave man (:
John Holbrook likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeazel View Post
It arrived yesterday and I installed it. It says "Mitsuboshi MBLSC045" and "Made in Japan". It seems like the same material as the original belt and it measures the same length with slightly more width- my worn-but-not-worn-out original was 21.8 mm and the new one is 22.4 mm.
Isn't the belt thickness supposed to be 25.1 mm? Service limit of 24?

What kind of rpms are you pulling? What's your rpm at 60 mph?

Attachment 59834

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner

Last edited by Liamjs; 09-03-2016 at 05:06 PM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamjs View Post
Isn't the belt thickness supposed to be 25.1 mm? Service limit of 24?

What kind of rpms are you pulling? What's your rpm at 60 mph?

Attachment 59834
Since he posted this in the pre 2007 forum I assume that is what he has. The manual on the 2003 to 2006 shows standard width to be 21.85 mm and minimum width to be 20.85 mm.

But that also says that if his old belt measured 21.8 mm it was far from worn out. Of course he might have a pre 2003 and I don't know what the spec for that belt is.

--- Craig AKA Cliffhanger----
"Big Red" 2007 Red Executive - 135,601 miles
"Little Blue" 2006 Blue 400S - 47,746 miles
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
Since he posted this in the pre 2007 forum I assume that is what he has. The manual on the 2003 to 2006 shows standard width to be 21.85 mm and minimum width to be 20.85 mm.

But that also says that if his old belt measured 21.8 mm it was far from worn out. Of course he might have a pre 2003 and I don't know what the spec for that belt is.
Ah, yes, of course. Thought that belt looked a little thin (in comparison to the k7+)

Filling out those profiles/signatures would help.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Garage
Yeah, I have a K4 AN400. It seems that the belts are 21.8 mm wide until they're worn out- they just get progressively more trapezoidal than hexagonal, if that makes sense- The "vee" part wears until it reaches the top, then it gets thinner rapidly. My original belt didn't have much flat left even though it measured OK in width. The wear effectively makes the belt longer, which makes the RPM's for a given speed and load higher.

My 60 MPH RPMs were in the neighborhood of 5500 and still are about 5500 (I have DP Sliders installed, 4 15 gram and 4 18 gram), although it *feels* just a little lower than before- maybe 50 RPM?

After some searching, the MBLSC042 is the belt for '98-'02 (carburetor) burgmen. Maybe they're mislabeled units that entered the grey market? 2's are very similar to 5's if you have a touch of dyslexia or aren't very familiar with the Arabic numbers...
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
After some searching, the MBLSC042 is the belt for '98-'02 (carburetor) burgmen. Maybe they're mislabeled units that entered the grey market? 2's are very similar to 5's if you have a touch of dyslexia or aren't very familiar with the Arabic numbers...
Hi Squeazel,
I've sourced a part from China. In Asia they released the Burgman under the name " Skywave". Still waiting for the part to arrive which was 70% cheaper than anywhere else I found it. I'm eagerly awaiting your updates on the belt as am likley to also give it a go.
Thanks!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Garage
When I rebuilt my engine, I sourced the oversized piston/rings/pin from China as well. It looked like it was well made- not forged (the original was not forged either), but the machining looked good and the sizes (ring slots, pin diameter, skirt diameter, ring gap at bore, everything was right on spec), were right on as close as I could measure. It has been running in my bike now for a few hundred miles, with no issues. We'll see if it lasts. I may be riding a time bomb
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
When I rebuilt my engine, I sourced the oversized piston/rings/pin from China as well. It looked like it was well made- not forged (the original was not forged either), but the machining looked good and the sizes (ring slots, pin diameter, skirt diameter, ring gap at bore, everything was right on spec), were right on as close as I could measure. It has been running in my bike now for a few hundred miles, with no issues. We'll see if it lasts. I may be riding a time bomb
Haha! Unless its Italian aren't most parts made in China anyway and then rebranded? I'm going to get one and keep it as a spare, am not sure the condition of my belt yet am getting all my bits together to do it all at once.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 06:00 PM

whats's made in Japan, is not from China.
but this belt..is fake, so it can say it's made in Japan, or anywhere else, you will only get problems getting one. always thinking, will it break here, or 200 miles away from home? how much it will cost me to get the bike home, how much for a good belt..
can i leave the town today, or better ride 5000 miles around my house and see how will it be
gec343 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.