Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

How to remove backrest from 400

13K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Duster 
#1 ·
I know this is in here somewhere but I can't find it. So, how do I remove the driver backrest on a 400? I went under the seat and removed the 2 screws holding the adjustment mechanism but something is keeping the 2 adjustment rods attached to the backrest from coming completely out of the seat. What am I missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Steve S

PS. Just got my 400 2 wks ago down here in Garyville, LA ( 40 miles west of New Orleans) I'm a New Orleans native who's been displaced by Katrina. I still travel into town for work, about 5 times a week. This ride is so great! Eventually I'll probably upgrade the stock seat. But for now I just want the couple of inches back that the backrest has taken from me. I'm 6'1". My girlfriend loves the scoot also. Can't wait til tomorrow when we ride it into town and right up to the front gates at Jazz Fest! "Parking Spot!? We don't need no stinkin" parkin' spot!"

#2 ·
If you want the seat to latch, you can't remove the backrest without cutting the frame...I went through this when I wanted to install my VIP topbox on my 400. It had to be installed behind the backrest at the same angle as the back of the bike...

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/WildBillPurdue/

#3 ·
The DRIVERS butt-stop should come straight out foreward after you get the stop-screws out of the 2 rods under the seat. These can be a bugger-bear. The self-tapping screws are usually stripped. {WildBill sometimes doesn't get enough sleep...he's a new Grampy} :roll: The PASSENGER backrest is not removeable.

#5 ·
Steve,

You removed the wrong screws. There are 2 small recessed screws that are only visible when the buttstop is all they way back. Remove the 2 small screws and then move the buttstop forward and it'll come completely out the front of the seat.

You might run into an issue removing one of the screws. Several forum members reported where the screws were overtightened from the factory. On my 400, the right side screw was torqued to the point it stripped the screw threads. The screw would spin freely either direction. In order to remove it, the head had to be ground off using a dremmel tool.

#7 ·
See the screws visible in the pic below? That's not them. If you look directly to either side of the lever used to release the buttstop, there are 2 recessed screws. In the picture you can see one of the holes where the screws are located.

http://tfic.com/gallery/main.php/v/Burg ... 2.jpg.html

#9 ·
Re: Seat back on 400

RDisme said:
Must be something wrong with my 04 , because I can just unlatch as if I were adjusting it forward & it comes right out. I have been toying with the idea of making my own high back back rest. :idea:
Nope.....apparently the stopscrews in the rods have already been removed. They're usually a hassle to get out. :shock:

#10 ·
Anyway, thanx Bill for all the help. I removed the 2 screws pictured and was able to get the backrest out. I really didn't have as much trouble as I expected to have. The screws were a little tight, but not stripped and easily reusable. In fact in order to keep track of them I screwed 'em back into the rods on the removed backrest. Maybe Suzuki got a hint on the '06 models, maybe just luck.

I gotta 'nother question about the pre load adjustment but I'm gonna start a new topic so's it doesn't get lost here.

Thanx again
Steve S
'06 400
N'awlins via Garyville, Louisiana

#13 ·
The guy at Eureka Springs that had the backrest brackets was Jac Vinson from rvtoys. :wink: He has a number of posts on this website.

#15 ·
Gunner said:
When the driver's back rest is removed, what does the seat look like under there. Is there a 4"x4" hole or a 2" slit. What is the best way to cover this so water does not get in the trunk?
There are 2 holes. I just throw a chunk of sheepskin over the seat and they're gone, poof!!

#18 ·
Ok yesterday it was in the high 50's here in Cincinnati so I went to the garage and put the Givi wind screen on it, broke one of the rubber gromits so I need to order a new set of those darn things. I'll keep that wind screen on until May and change to the stock. It started right up and ran great after sitting for 3 months with no battery charger on it and of course I stored it with gas stablizer in it.
But the main thing is I took off that back rest! OH MY GOSH! what a difference it made when I took it for a short ride. My 6'2" frame now fits perfectly on the bike. my knees which were 1/2" from the dash are now 4" from it. Now I need to head to the hardware store for some plugs. Was that 7/8" plugs and does Home Depot or Lowe's have them?

#19 ·
billmeek said:
Steve,

You removed the wrong screws. There are 2 small recessed screws that are only visible when the buttstop is all they way back. Remove the 2 small screws and then move the buttstop forward and it'll come completely out the front of the seat.
BTW, I lost the screws under the seat pan. Not that I'll ever need them again

#20 ·
Just installed 3brothers backrest :) even girl can do it :D
Although I had no problems with finding and unscrewing the screws to pull out the backrest... the other four gave me some trouble... I think they have kinda unusual size and they were screwed very very hard so it was a fight... ohhh BTW in my 2008 Burg the metal part of the seat isn't painted at all... putting on the extension from 3 brothers was really easy and everything fits perfect... the big test on Saturday... Ladies Run... thousands of Harleys and one Burgman :D

#21 ·
Re:

Wes said:
Gunner said:
When the driver's back rest is removed, what does the seat look like under there. Is there a 4"x4" hole or a 2" slit. What is the best way to cover this so water does not get in the trunk?
There are 2 holes. I just throw a chunk of sheepskin over the seat and they're gone, poof!!
The walmart ATV seat pad covers it nicely as well

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40969

#27 ·
Yep....it mounts the same way
as the Suzuki Accessories luggage rack.

#24 ·
Bearcat, The backrest arrived while I was gone over the weekend and I just installed it. I did give it a spritz of 303 Protectant prior to installing. I haven't had a chance to take it out for a ride, but I have to be to work by 7am, so it'll get used then.

Bill, I really appreciate the suggestion of using a Dremel to grind off that right screw. There was no way I was going to get it out with a screwdriver.

THANKS!

#25 ·
Bill, I really appreciate the suggestion of using a Dremel to grind off that right screw. There was no way I was going to get it out with a screwdriver. THANKS!
Those screws have given more than a few
Burgman riders a chance to learn some
new words from a sailor. :-x

#26 ·
Update: The ride to work was almost more comfortable. I had installed the backrest ALL the way back. I could hardly reach the handlebars. :) I could keep my feet on the scooter and actually lock my knees straight! I am only 5'9", but I couldn't believe how much more room this backrest provides. As soon as I got to work I moved the rest forward. Riding home should be MUCH more comfortable. Again, thanks Bearcat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.