First time Burgman owner, London - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By captainfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

First time Burgman owner, London

Thanks to this forum I've bought a 2016 Burg 400 Limited although I don't get it until next week

I'm in my mid forties, have had all sorts of bikes over the years, done the usual thing - started with sports bikes, did the Harley thing, then did the Triumph thing, then went onto scooters - various Vespa's, then a T Max 500, and now after much deliberation, I've bought the burg. I've also been heavily into off road bikes for 15 years, but hung up my enduro boots about 5 years ago after a rather large 'off' resulting in a few hospital stays

I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but here in the U.K. you can forget test riding most scooters unless they're a BMW, so you have to go by reviews.

I loved the T Max but it was old, and I really wanted a newer bike with abs. I nearly bought a Kawasaki J300 but then saw this burg and fell in love. You lot better be right that they're great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0211.jpg (205.6 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Insane Poster

They really are -- to be more precise, they were, as from 2017 it's a completely different concept having little in common with whats been evolving as family class for some 20 years. I think it's good that you caught a last true one. Not because new is necessarily bad, there're just too many like that out there. Lot's of info on the forum, so welcome aboard!

Burgman 650 '04 Exec black (too much a scoot)
Last true 400.
Suzuki DL1000. (gone but still most miles)

Last edited by Bolzen; 05-06-2017 at 07:07 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:02 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggster View Post
Thanks to this forum I've bought a 2016 Burg 400 Limited although I don't get it until next week

I'm in my mid forties, have had all sorts of bikes over the years, done the usual thing - started with sports bikes, did the Harley thing, then did the Triumph thing, then went onto scooters - various Vespa's, then a T Max 500, and now after much deliberation, I've bought the burg. I've also been heavily into off road bikes for 15 years, but hung up my enduro boots about 5 years ago after a rather large 'off' resulting in a few hospital stays

I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but here in the U.K. you can forget test riding most scooters unless they're a BMW, so you have to go by reviews.

I loved the T Max but it was old, and I really wanted a newer bike with abs. I nearly bought a Kawasaki J300 but then saw this burg and fell in love. You lot better be right that they're great
I think you were wise to pass on the T Max. Around here many of the older bikes have have issues because people don't service the air filters, mainly because they are a pain to change. I believe Yamaha could benefit from lessions from Suzuki.

Last edited by Skunkhome; 05-06-2017 at 08:06 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Yes my t Max was getting long in the tooth, only 9 years old but it was showing it's age, and I really wanted ABS. Also I don't need the sports like handling of a t Max anymore, I'm happy to plod around town and not get myself into the sports bike mentality again.

Agreed about the 17 model Burg 400 - looks nice but it's not unique anymore, just the same amount of storage as all the others by the looks of it, I can never work out the thinking in a lot of large Companies these days.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Well it arrived today and it's **** awesome - went straight out on it to a few appointments, instantly felt at home, what a beast.

Comparing it to the T Max;

ALOT comfier for myself and pillion, the seat comfort and the riding position
Pillion likes the running boards instead of the pegs on the Max
I can easily flat foot the Burg (5'9")
Lots more storage obviously
Turns in quicker
Acceleration in town the same as the Max
Brakes not as good as the Max
To me it looks a lot nicer then the Yamaha (and that's weird because a year ago I hated the look of the Burgs)
The ride on the Burg is slightly less polished, but not by much
The factory screen is pants, but I knew that
The fuel filler is a bit of a faff
Heated grips, boom

Can't wait for tomorrow to start

Last edited by Greggster; 05-09-2017 at 03:42 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:55 PM

Congrates, im new also to burg, its the ride comfort that's what make thr difference.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Insane Poster

Welcome to Burgmanusa from Sunny Tampa Bay Florida!
Tells us all about yourself and about London! I've never been to London, though my daughter has, and she even got married at the Abby Gate!
Cheers!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes!

London's nice but like every city it can get on your nerves, I'm lucky that I live in the suburbs. Bike theft and moped crime (thieves on mopeds) is out of control sadly, the police don't have many powers over them as most aren't allowed to chase anyone on a bike without a helmet, so guess what, the criminals don't wear helmets! Hopefully soon the law will change and they'll get on top of the epidemic.

The city and suburbs are FULL though, people and vehicles, pollution is the worst this year I've ever known, can't wait for electric vehicles being the only ones allowed, it really will benefit so many of us. They say there's a housing crisis here, that's because there's no space for any more houses. Most are getting priced out of London and surrounding areas, most new build apartments are bought by foreign investors for a place for their crooked money, and they get left empty.

Wow, that was all negative!

But I love this place, have been trying to find an area to move to for the last few years, and nothing comes close for me. The river Thames is at the end of my road, I've got pubs and bars that I can walk to, I'm surrounded by wealthy Clients for my business, and the Burgman was made for this territory!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:32 PM
Turbo Poster

welcome to the forum.. and to the ownership. Bike looks like the batcycle.!!!
Greggster likes this.

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"

Photo Gallery:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.