Bill250 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Liamjs

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Bill250

I presently have a Chinese 250 and would like to move up to a Bergman 400. I bought it used with less than 1300 miles on it. I do all my own work on my 250, which has included replacing the head gasket at less than 6K miles. It is a well designed and very poorly assembled machine with a Honda Helix drive train and too small of a cooling system to handle hot Southern California days. The driven pulley of the CVT looks like it was purposely designed to fail quickly, which it has. Consequently, I can't trust it enough to drive it very far, which is why I am in search of what I hope will be a more reliable machine.

I am a 72 year old single Viet Nam Navy vet living on social security, which is why I have a scooter instead of a car at this point. While I would love the better performance of a 400, I can't afford to get into a machine that I can't maintain over the long run. What I need to find out is how far will the Bergman 400's go before needing an engine overhaul. I see some available as low as $1200 with 37K miles. Is that the point they fall apart?

I grew up a wheat farmer's kid with a wrench in my back pocket. I don't know everything, but I did manage to overhaul the engine of my friend's 1972 Porche 911. I didn't do the machine shop work, just everything else. Tip - stay away from magnesium cased engines.

I belong to a scooter forum that covers Chinese 250's which has been very helpful. My experience is there is no replacement for experience. I'm looking forward to absorbing some of yours before I make a stupid move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:21 AM
Insane Poster

Um, well, sorry for your bad Chinese scooter experience, but it's not unexpected. I run a scooter group in LA and I've never seen one worth the price of admission. On the bright side, the Burgman 400 is an excellent machine. Mine has 58k and is still going strong. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with 37k miles. The engines are great and rarely need rebuilding.

The limiting factor in most scooters is the transmission. Not that they're bad, they just need regular maintenance. At 37k, you're probably looking at a new clutch, probably a belt and rollers. At 50k, add in new drive faces (aka variator). But once done, the bike will be good to go for another 20-30k miles, and it's all work you can do yourself, given your experience and the many online videos. Even better, many of these parts can be bought used, but in good condition, on eBay.

The 650 is a totally different animal, so my advice would be different. But if the 400 is your goal, it's a great bike to get into. Good luck. Once you get yourself situated, check out www.meetup.com and look up LA scooter group. See you on a ride soon.
jeff_MDR likes this.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner

Last edited by Liamjs; 03-14-2017 at 12:27 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:55 AM
Insane Poster

Bill250, Welcome to BUSA from Tampa Bay Florida USA.
If you haven't already done so, please fill out your User profile in the Control Panel to tell us about your bike, location, etc.
Please add your location onto the Burgman Owners Map:
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1693807#

I am hoping that you can find yourself a fine Burgman 400 scooter soon, an 08' They is one fine machine alrighty! But notice how it is spelled, it has a U in it, no E. BURGMAN. They runs long time, you don't need to be putin' any head gasket on it, and it don't never run hot! It is like Liamjs said, the motors last long time, probably over 100,000 miles if you take care of them, change the oil and filter, use synthetic oil make them last! Put you in a drive belt every 15 or 20 thousand miles, a clutch at 25K miles or maybe only at 50 or 75 thousand miles, some last longer! Take care of it good, and you got all the help on here that you need. We are right here wit ya! That bike will take good care of you too. when you change the spark plug, put in an iridium spark plug, and you probably will never have to change it.
My Toyota SUV still has the original iridium spark plugs now with over 188,000 miles, still runs good! The 400 maintenance is simple and easy and the bike is very reliable and lasts a long time. 37K is a good mileage to buy. Anything below 50K is real good if the price is right! I would suggest that you get a 2008 Year Model or newer if you can, because that is when they got all the bugs worked out of those bikes. I have a red 08' B400 with 35k miles that I am getting ready to sell soon. I recently got an 06' B650 in showroom condition that had 10K miles on it for $3k.

We can tell you all about the Tires, Brakes, Air Pressure, Clutch, Variator, Belt, Final Drive, Battery, Wiring, Lights, Wheels, Body Panels, Seat, Handelbars & Grips, Throttle locks & Cruise Controls, Fuel Tank & Pump, Computer Controls, and whatever else you need. Gettin' a B400 is a smart move! But save up enough money to get you and 08' or newer one.

Use the SEARCH BOX to lookup anything you want. There is TONS of DISCUSSIONS on here, with TONS of good INFORMATION.

Also please, if you would like, add your location to the Burgman Travel Stops Map.
You may be able to help your fellow Burgman travelers:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...3601542971&z=7

Yes, AG, I am almost a broken record, lol!
Cheers Everybody!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 03-14-2017 at 03:39 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:44 AM
Insane Poster

some [eople cannot tolerate the burgman whine/ a noise comming from tdhe clutch bell, that is the only thing I can think of that might make you regret lpurchasking a 400, tdhe maintenance is easy, even a jarhead can dko it . I had 2 08's one whined one didn't , it werent no worse than having yer girlfdriend dtalking at ya in a cage , I also would recommend gettding a post 07 model, there were changes made at 07/08 but I don't remember what or why. and the stock windscreen is a &*%^* it shakes like a dog poopin peach seeds in wind speeds gdreater than 0 mph I replaced one with 4 brsoke ribs and a collarbone and a shoulderblade, so it can't be real hard . biggestd problem I had with mine was gettin off the thing and goin in the housle . too much fun dto ride

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:00 AM
Insane Poster

^ the "Burgman Whine" Mikey is referring too is a squeal many 400s develop due to clutch pad glaze. The clutch pads are like brake pads and can heat up and glaze, over time, 5-20k miles. It's not a big deal, does no damage and can be remedied by sandpapering off the glaze. Service intervals can be stretched with good throttle management. You just need to remember to take off quickly, so as to engage the clutch quickly and avoid heat build up.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:28 PM
Turbo Poster

Welcome! I agree with what most have said, except limiting your selection to 07+ model. What I mean by that is if you find the right deal go for it, but if you find a excellent deal on an older one like I did, don't dismiss them. They are great bikes, no doubt. Mine is an 04. I picked it up for the same amount of $ I have in my 300cc chinese scoot. Which is a 2012 with 1 or 2 thousand miles on it and it sits broken in my garage. It's a piece of crap!

When you get into a Burgman 400 you won't know what to do with yourself you'll be so happy! I promise you that.

By the way, mine now has 46,000 or so miles on her and she's running great. One thing you will not have to do on an older model is change the windscreen, that's one thing Suzuki actually managed to screw up on the newer ones

2004 Burgman 400
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Super Poster

Garage
Welcome, Bill, good choice looking for a 400. I got mine with a blown engine (scored piston and cylinder) for $400 and rebuilt it myself. It had more than 50000 miles on it and was owned by a guy that didn't know the meaning of the word "maintenance". A more typical lifetime is 80000 miles plus. The 2003-2006 bikes can be bored oversized (steel sleeve) but the 2007+ bikes cannot (nikasil coated aluminum cylinder walls). The older bikes had a tendency to aspirate oil, which didn't harm anything unless you let the oil level get too low- if you get an earlier one, check the oil every 200 miles if you do a lot of hot fast freeway riding.

Buying a 400 is never a stupid move. I don't think you could do better. You'll be doing a lot of riding and not a lot of wrenching. At 37K miles, if the bike has been maintained, it could be a great deal. If you want to be safe, however, you want to inspect the belt, brakes, tires, anything that are wearable items- that's where your maintenance dollars will go, rather than into engine rebuilds. Check that its rpms at 70 MPH aren't higher than about 7000- more RPMs means a worn-out belt. Don't worry about compression- you can't measure it accurately because it has a compression release that engages while starting. It should get to 60 MPH in 8 seconds or so if it has all its power. I'm sure you know this but check for no smoke, smooth idle, that sort of thing, indicating a bike that's been cared for. Good luck and welcome to the forums- we're here to answer any question you may have!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeazel View Post
The older bikes had a tendency to aspirate oil, which didn't harm anything unless you let the oil level get too low- if you get an earlier one, check the oil every 200 miles if you do a lot of hot fast freeway riding.
Ah yes, very true. I do hate checking my oil so much Other than that I'm pretty darned happy!

2004 Burgman 400
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to be so long replying. I got timed out and couldn't log back in for some reason even after changing password. I really appreciate your pertinent comments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.